LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 302 users in the forums

Jon Gruden

Shop 49ers game tickets
What's with all the hype every year? He's slightly better than a .500 coach as per his record. He won his Superbowl with a crazy defense which he inherited from Tony Dungee. I just don't get why everyone talks about him as if he was Bill Walsh 2.0?
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DickNasty:
What's with all the hype every year? He's slightly better than a .500 coach as per his record. He won his Superbowl with a crazy defense which he inherited from Tony Dungee. I just don't get why everyone talks about him as if he was Bill Walsh 2.0?

the team should have tried to get him when jh left town. at the time with a vet team we needed an established vet coach in my opinion.
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by DickNasty:

the team should have tried to get him when jh left town. at the time with a vet team we needed an established vet coach in my opinion.

one of the most overrated HC in the history of the NFL IMO....no way in hell Gruden was jumping on that grenade (coming here). He's got a nice cozy job that pays him a s**t ton of money. No stress and he can have that job for the next 20 yrs if he wants.
Originally posted by cciowa:

lol. He would have been run out of town with Baalke's s**t roster.
  • Antix
  • Veteran
He's a good coach maybe for a team that already got a bunch of vets and just needs coaching. I don't know about him being able to build a team.

He is overrated tho imo. But he won a SB so his name is always gonna get brought up just like Cowher.
Good coach but overrated as hell. You'd think he was just a notch below Belichick. He went to Tampa, won with a roster that had been coached by Dungy previously and had been assembled by Rich McKay. After they won, Gruden shoved McKay out the door, brought in his buddy Bruce Allen and slowly everything began to regress and they went from one of the most talented rosters in football to one of the least. He was basically Jeff Fisher level in the years after winning the SB.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Good coach but overrated as hell. You'd think he was just a notch below Belichick. He went to Tampa, won with a roster that had been coached by Dungy previously and had been assembled by Rich McKay. After they won, Gruden shoved McKay out the door, brought in his buddy Bruce Allen and slowly everything began to regress and they went from one of the most talented rosters in football to one of the least. He was basically Jeff Fisher level in the years after winning the SB.

he's a players coach that can relate with the guys (espcially when was HC in his 30s with the Bucs), get's the most of thems, but needs good X's and O's guys around him. he's overrated, but he's still better than a lot of coaches i
I completely agree with the OP. I don't get it at all.
IMO, he'll never leave TV.

Easy job, lots of loot and not 24/7 like coaching.
Gumnan's idiot to kill idle John....

So the raiders are offering 10mil a year and part ownership in the team
  • Buchy
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erWill:

Sucks to be Del Rio, I'm assuming he doesn't get the rest of his contract value if he quits so he's got to sit there like a lame duck.

Depends on how much ownership
Originally posted by blizzuntz:

Depends on how much ownership

Raiders will blackmail him with a dead Vegas hooker...Godfather II style
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
MNF saved him from being another Brian Billick. IDK how they fire a guy with ownership stake but it will be fun to watch in a few years.
Share 49ersWebzone