LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 174 users in the forums

Which of these teams made the biggest mistake letting go of their successful head coach?:

Shop 49ers game tickets

Which of these teams made the biggest mistake letting go of their successful head coach?:

Its the Cowboys and its not even close.

The Giants deserve a mention too for letting Coughlin go too.

Harbs would be last on this list. We are talking Super Bowl winners.
Originally posted by miked1978:
Its the Cowboys and its not even close.

The Giants deserve a mention too for letting Coughlin go too.

Harbs would be last on this list. We are talking Super Bowl winners.

Jimmy was so good that he won a SB with the Dolphins..... oh wait
Still failing to understand the Cowboy opinion. I am not one of those guys who refuses to acknowledge other opinions either. I just honestly do not understand it.

Years following Jimmy Johnson's firing:

1) 12-4 record, lost in the NFC Championship game
2) 12-4 record, won the Super Bowl
3) 10-6 record, lost in the Divisional round

I mean, did the Cowboys win the Superbowl every year after firing JJ? No. But they were still incredibly successful for three full seasons after Jimmy was let go. What am I missing here? The Niners became absolute trash after Harbaugh left. The Raiders had one great season after Gruden left, but they lost the Superbowl TO Gruden!!!

Meanwhile, the Cowboys win 3 divisions, make 2 conference title games and win a Super Bowl after Johnson left, and somehow people in this thread pick the Cowboys and claim "its not even close." Makes absolutely no sense to me.
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
Still failing to understand the Cowboy opinion. I am not one of those guys who refuses to acknowledge other opinions either. I just honestly do not understand it.

I mean, did the Cowboys win the Superbowl every year after firing JJ? No. But they were still incredibly successful for three full seasons after Jimmy was let go. What am I missing here? The Niners became absolute trash after Harbaugh left. The Raiders had one great season after Gruden left, but they lost the Superbowl TO Gruden!!!

Meanwhile, the Cowboys win 3 divisions, make 2 conference title games and win a Super Bowl after Johnson left, and somehow people in this thread pick the Cowboys and claim "its not even close." Makes absolutely no sense to me.

Switzer won a Super Bowl, but everyone knew that was with the team Jimmy built, it wasn't Switzer's coaching. Jimmy wanted to do the same thing he did in Dallas when he got to Miami...trade his big ticket player (Herschel Walker) for major picks....Dan Marino! Only problem with that is, if he ever did that, he'd be run out of Miami even if he did bring back 2 Super Bowls.

Gruden won a Super Bowl, but even in his own admission, it was against his former team that he knew so well. They did not change a thing, and Gruden knew exactly what was coming.
Originally posted by Izyniner:
Harbaugh is gone! Get over it! haha some peoples kids.

Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:

yes, the cowboys were successful after jimmy left but you don't fire a coach who won you two super bowls and were reigning champions for petty reasons. I see both sides of the argument. If it wasn' the biggest mistake, it certainly was the dumbest.
Originally posted by valrod33:
49ers for letting Tomsula go

boast would agree.
With Jimmy Johnson they could've won another handful of SBs.
49ers, end thread
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
All those dudes were here before harbs and we sucked.

So? That says more about singletary than harbs. singletary was a disaster. If harbs had a head for pro game he would still be here.

Anyway I would much rather watch all those great players than harbs. I don't think about harbs. I think about our hofers. Frank Pat Justin. Those guys were the bomb.
[ Edited by brodiebluebanaszak on Nov 17, 2017 at 12:58 PM ]

Originally posted by JimA49ers:
Switzer won a Super Bowl, but everyone knew that was with the team Jimmy built, it wasn't Switzer's coaching.

Understood, but so what? Seifert won with Walsh's team (yes I am aware he won again later). What is the difference?

Originally posted by pdizo916:
yes, the cowboys were successful after jimmy left but you don't fire a coach who won you two super bowls and were reigning champions for petty reasons. I see both sides of the argument. If it wasn' the biggest mistake, it certainly was the dumbest.

I never said it was smart to fire JJ after B2B Superbowls for petty reasons. All I am saying is that I fail to understand how, out of the three options, people are claiming that The Cowboys CLEARLY made the biggest mistake by letting JJ go, when they had a ton of success the following 3 years after he was.....especially when the other two options had the teams turning to s**t almost immediately following (one year later in the Raiders case).

Still doesnt make sense to me. I appreciate you two responding, but I havent come off my opinion yet.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
We screwed up when we allowed Bill Walsh (RIP) to stop Seifert from going to the Cleveland Browns job interview to offer him the HC position. I fully remember how Eddie DeBartolo wanted JIMMY JOHNSON..
Jimmy had won back to back Super Bowls and was well on his way to winning a couple more. Harbaugh hadn't won s**t.

Edit: take that back Harbaugh was awesome in the regular season but when it came to the big show.
[ Edited by TexasGuero49 on Nov 17, 2017 at 3:18 PM ]
None of the Above.

49ers: yes - Bill Walsh
Originally posted by TexasGuero49:
Jimmy had won back to back Super Bowls and was well on his way to winning a couple more. Harbaugh hadn't won s**t.

Edit: take that back Harbaugh was awesome in the regular season but when it came to the big show.

Harbaugh won so much despite Baalke and Jed.

Jimmy with Baalke and Jed = 0 SBs
Share 49ersWebzone