LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 326 users in the forums

Football on Thursdays

Shop 49ers game tickets
Football on Thursday sucks. Not just because teams have a shorty week to prepare but also because the matchups are trash. Only time football should be played on Thursday is thanksgiving
Nice to have an extra night of football. It's an option.. not a requirement.. to tune in. Some games, I barely pay attention to. Others, I'm glad to have on.

Players get paid a lot of money in the NFL. I'm not going to feel sorry for them if playing on Thursday is an inconvenience to them.
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:
Originally posted by Who-is-Hayne:
Why thursday games? Don't understand why there are no Friday or Saturday games over there.

Have to respect Jewish and Muslim sabbaths

No you don't. They play football on Sunday and that's a Christian holy day.
[ Edited by dj43 on Nov 14, 2017 at 9:49 AM ]
I have been saying this for a while now. I dont understand why the NFL doesnt have TNF on weeks 1 and 4 through 12(ish) only. That way, aside from week 1, every team that plays on TNF can do so after coming off of the BYE week. Makes perfect sense to me. They are coming off of the BYE, so they dont have to play 4 days after their last game. They can actually play 10 or 11 days after. It would make for MUCH better football, and would alleviate the injury concern a little bit.

It makes perfect sense in my head. Aside from losing revenue from weeks 2, 3 and 13(ish)-17, I dont see the downside in this. Is there something wrong with my idea that I am not seeing?
[ Edited by SteveWallacesHelmet on Nov 14, 2017 at 9:48 AM ]
  • dj43
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
I have been saying this for a while now. I dont understand why the NFL doesnt have TNF on weeks 1 and 4 through 12(ish) only. That way, aside from week 1, every team that plays on TNF can do so after coming off of the BYE week. Makes perfect sense to me. They are coming off of the BYE, so they dont have to play 4 days after their last game. They can actually play 10 or 11 days after. It would make for MUCH better football, and would alleviate the injury concern a little bit.

It makes perfect sense in my head. Aside from losing revenue from weeks 2, 3 and 13(ish)-17, I dont see the downside in this. Is there something wrong with my idea that I am not seeing?

Makes sense.

The main issue for players is the shortened recovery time/injury rate. Loss of quality players results in poor games. People tune out.

It is all about the money for owners and indirectly for players.

RE: Color rush. I dislike most of them, particularly black for 49ers. Nowhere in our history has black meant anything to the team. Also, it makes it very hard to identify players.

The only color worse than black is the putrid green the Seahawks wear.
The players union agreed to this. Players should be complaining to them instead of crying after every Thursday. The winning team or the team with less injuries doesnt usually complain. It's not like it's a mystery game and they dont know about it
  • luv49rs
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by jrg:
What are your thoughts on it? A lot of players have been complaining about having to play on Thursdays (after their Sunday game)

I get their point, but the NFL is all about $. More days they can command the audiences, the more $ they make.

I wish they'd go back to having Thursday games here and there. They're basically making it to be the new Monday Night Football to promote these dumb color rush jerseys.

Your thoughts?

I used to really like it but now it's just too much football. it should go back to just being sundays/mondays/thanksgiving/playoff saturdays
hate it!! just another proof the league has no interest in players safety. seriously the quality of football played is garbage. guys are not playing 100%. i like pro football on the days it should be played which is monday's & sunday's. thursday? that's some college ball sh%t. plus this color rush crap is getting tiresome. also too they are going to be changing over to that "madden camera" for the rest of the thursday night games. lol the worst idea they could do. just because people raved about it on twitter? lol why not take a vote.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
I like having another night of watching football. These players are just pussies now days. Shut up and play stop crying.
  • dj43
Originally posted by teylo31:
The players union agreed to this. Players should be complaining to them instead of crying after every Thursday. The winning team or the team with less injuries doesnt usually complain. It's not like it's a mystery game and they dont know about it

True, however, it was part of a larger package. It appears there has been a good deal of pushback on it. We'll see what happens next time the CBA is up for negotiation.
[ Edited by dj43 on Nov 14, 2017 at 10:12 PM ]

Originally posted by wailers15:
hate it!! just another proof the league has no interest in players safety. seriously the quality of football played is garbage. guys are not playing 100%. i like pro football on the days it should be played which is monday's & sunday's. thursday? that's some college ball sh%t. plus this color rush crap is getting tiresome. also too they are going to be changing over to that "madden camera" for the rest of the thursday night games. lol the worst idea they could do. just because people raved about it on twitter? lol why not take a vote.

Wanted to respond to your "quality" statement. Besides injuries thats the problem, teams dont have enough time to prepare so that's why more than half the games suck.

Opener and teams coming off of byes or bust.
I enjoy it, hope it stays
Originally posted by riverrunzthruit:
I enjoy it, hope it stays

No you enjoy the fact that a football game is on Thursday instead of a game not being on lol
I think they will go with the easy solution to extend the season to 18 weeks and include 2 bye weeks so every team has a bye week before their Thursday night game.

It will actually earn more money because the league gets one more week of TV time. Now only to deal with the network contracts which is why they won't do it until the network contracts are over.
Originally posted by Joecool:
I think they will go with the easy solution to extend the season to 18 weeks and include 2 bye weeks so every team has a bye week before their Thursday night game.

It will actually earn more money because the league gets one more week of TV time. Now only to deal with the network contracts which is why they won't do it until the network contracts are over.

Sigh. I get this is a business, but is there any good reason beyond more money for owners to have an 18-game season? I love football and I miss the season terribly when it's all over. But those two extra games aren't going to do much. That's my problem with the NFL now. They are doing too much.
Share 49ersWebzone