Originally posted by Dillesq:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by babarvaart:
Extremely rare?

He stated 90%+, does that mean starter?, Super Bowl QB?, top 10 stats?

Is it me or didn't a 3rd round pick just win the Super Bowl? NFC Championship consisted of one 3rd pick and one Undrafted player.

You could get 90% of Darnold, Rosen and Mayfield with Kyle Lauletta, Luke Falk and Mike White in the 2nd and later rounds.

Jimmy G, Wilson, Carr, Brees, Prescott, Keenum, Cousins plus a few other I'm missing.

All drafted outside 1st round.

The chances of getting a franchise QB outside thr first round are astronomically low. It RARELY happens. Hell it rarely happens in the first round so your analogy doesn't work.

We aren't discussing finding a franchise QB though.

Well Good QB/Starter QB. The point remains.

But thats not the point either. No one is talking about chances being greater or not. The point is that it is possible to find a QB almost equivalent to s 1st round QB.

But it's not. I'm not sure what you're looking at but there's absolutely no evidence of that. Yeah you can find a gem very rarely. But with running backs that's where the best value has been.

Wait. What's the point here?
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by babarvaart:
Extremely rare?

He stated 90%+, does that mean starter?, Super Bowl QB?, top 10 stats?

Is it me or didn't a 3rd round pick just win the Super Bowl? NFC Championship consisted of one 3rd pick and one Undrafted player.

You could get 90% of Darnold, Rosen and Mayfield with Kyle Lauletta, Luke Falk and Mike White in the 2nd and later rounds.

Jimmy G, Wilson, Carr, Brees, Prescott, Keenum, Cousins plus a few other I'm missing.

All drafted outside 1st round.

The chances of getting a franchise QB outside thr first round are astronomically low. It RARELY happens. Hell it rarely happens in the first round so your analogy doesn't work.

We aren't discussing finding a franchise QB though.

Well Good QB/Starter QB. The point remains.

But thats not the point either. No one is talking about chances being greater or not. The point is that it is possible to find a QB almost equivalent to s 1st round QB.

But it's not. I'm not sure what you're looking at but there's absolutely no evidence of that. Yeah you can find a gem very rarely. But with running backs that's where the best value has been.

Oh yah, Chad Kelly, went in the 7th round. Kelly would've been a 1st round pick if not for his attitude and off field issues. Kyle Lauletta, measurables, arm strength, ability inside and outside the pocket. If he went to Stanford he would be a 1st round pick, how is that NOT evidence? Again, no one is talking about a greater or lesser chance.....

Also I'd take Lauletta or Mike White over Baker Mayfield all day!!!

I won't. But I can get 90+% of Barkley in the 2nd-3rd but I won't get 90% of Chubb or Rosen or Mayfield, etc...

Completely false!!!
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Oh yah,Chad Kelly, went in the 7th round. Kelly would've been a 1st round pick if not for his attitude and off field issues. Kyle Lauletta, measurables, arm strength, ability inside and outside the pocket. If he went to Stanford he would be a 1st round pick, how is that NOT evidence? Again, no one is talking about a greater or lesser chance.....

I won't. But I can get 90+% of Barkley in the 2nd-3rd but I won't get 90% of Chubb or Rosen or Mayfield, etc...

Completely false!!!

Its like saying Jeff Driskel would of been a first round pick if he had played at Florida like he did at La Tech. You cant change history. It is what it is. Kelly is nothing more then a developmental QB.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Jcool:
Oh yah,Chad Kelly, went in the 7th round. Kelly would've been a 1st round pick if not for his attitude and off field issues. Kyle Lauletta, measurables, arm strength, ability inside and outside the pocket. If he went to Stanford he would be a 1st round pick, how is that NOT evidence? Again, no one is talking about a greater or lesser chance.....

Completely false!!!

Its like saying Jeff Driskel would of been a first round pick if he had played at Florida like he did at La Tech. You cant change history. It is what it is. Kelly is nothing more then a developmental QB.

Big difference is Chad Kelly was projected 1st round pick, Driskel wasn't anywhere near projected that.

https://southboundanddown.com/2016/05/06/2017-nfl-draft-chad-kelly-gets-drafted-in-the-1st-round/

Alright moving on.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
I would generally agree with this.

This guy doesn't do much research if he thinks that.

Hmmmm.... Le'veon Bell was drafted at #48. Kareem Hunt (#1 in rushing) was drafted at 86. Devonta Freeman who just signed a $41.25 million contract extension, drafted at #103. Jordan Howard (528 carries for 2435 yards and 15 in two seasons) drafted at #150. C. J. Anderson (just had 1,000 season in Denver) was an undrafted FA.

Seems you can find good RB talent outside of round 1.

You can say that about EVERY position in the NFL. In no way am I doubting you can find good RB's in the later rounds but lets not cherry pick.

You can not say that about QB. It is extremely rare to find a starting level outside of round 1.

15 of the starting qbs in this league weren't 1st round picks and that list included allot of the best qbs in the nfl.
Originally posted by jcs:
15 of the starting qbs in this league weren't 1st round picks and that list included allot of the best qbs in the nfl.

Not sure what this has to do with the thread subject but I think you will find that the failure percentage rises exponentially as you slip down the draft. So whilst they may indeed not be all 1st round picks, the point is that it becomes increasingly difficult to find one who will be good enough in due course to start. Hence the emphasis on picking qb's early.
So we're passing on Barkley for Josh Allen.

End, Lt, qb are the positions you take just because of position value if there's a franchise guy. We won't have that scenario pop up.
Barkley falls to the 49ers in this mock. Nelson is still available too.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2018-nfl-mock-draft-sam-darnold-goes-to-giants-cardinals-trade-up-for-josh-rosen/
Originally posted by Bluesbro:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2018-nfl-mock-draft-sam-darnold-goes-to-giants-cardinals-trade-up-for-josh-rosen/

This'd be great although I cant see it happening. It would mean that there would be no generous offers to trade down I guess. So in this unlikely event is it Barkley or Nelson?
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by Bluesbro:

This'd be great although I cant see it happening. It would mean that there would be no generous offers to trade down I guess. So in this unlikely event is it Barkley or Nelson?

Dream scenario. We get to argue over who to pick and hopefully there's a trade offer that blows us away? Lol

Originally posted by Cisco0623:
Dream scenario. We get to argue over who to pick and hopefully there's a trade offer that blows us away? Lol

Ha! True, I'd have such a hard time, at the beginning I was 100% Barkley, Kyle would do awesome things with him.

Nelson has grown on me after I realised that his footwork is good enough for him to excel in our scheme. If it happened and we passed on both I'd be inconsolable!
What about Saquon Barkley
Originally posted by 21SandersMoss84:
What about Saquon Barkley

Barkley has never ran in a zone scheme, however he has every trait to make it a success, largest among them is being coachable and having a high work ethic.

He is also scratching the surface of his potential as a receiver, he runs fades and slants already, however he could be a McCaffrey like weapon if taught how to run option routes. There is no limit to how good this guy could become.
[ Edited by 49erBigMac on Feb 16, 2018 at 12:44 PM ]
If Saquon/Roquan/Nelson are available - I think the pick has to be either Nelson or Roquan. Ideally we trade 2 spots and still get one of them.

Taking a RB w/ their first pick given how talented this RB class is would be a luxury pick - we have too many other needs and viable/even a great fit RB can be found later (see Jones, Penny, Michel).

Would you rather have either Nelson/Roquan + Penny/Jones/Michel or just Barkley??
Originally posted by Mertonschickendance:
If Saquon/Roquan/Nelson are available - I think the pick has to be either Nelson or Roquan. Ideally we trade 2 spots and still get one of them.

Taking a RB w/ their first pick given how talented this RB class is would be a luxury pick - we have too many other needs and viable/even a great fit RB can be found later (see Jones, Penny, Michel).

Would you rather have either Nelson/Roquan + Penny/Jones/Michel or just Barkley??

An RB is a luxury, and as an RB you're right there isn't a huge drop off.

The difference is that Barkley is a true weapon out of the backfield and that adds value, it's the same as Le'Veon Bell trying to reset the market, he is that much more valuable than a RB.
Share 49ersWebzone