LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 239 users in the forums

Victor "Quick 6" Bolden

Shop 49ers game tickets
He's like our Tavon Austin. Except we didn't have to spend a 1st round pick on him LOL
Originally posted by SoCold:
Originally posted by Poldarn49:
Because we need a third Trent Taylor/Jeremy Kerley on the team.

no we need a legit return man

This we desperately need one and it's worth a spot on the 53 if he can take it to the house
Originally posted by Eastcoastniner:
Originally posted by Poldarn49:
Because we need a third Trent Taylor/Jeremy Kerley on the team.

no we need a legit return man

This we desperately need one and it's worth a spot on the 53 if he can take it to the house

And it's not like he doesn't have any value on offense as well. No doubt Kyle could use his speed and quickness.
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Already have two guys with his skill set on the roster. I think one of the bigger guys gets a roster spot over him, though he could beat out Aldrick Robinson for a spot.

my thoughts as well. Too many small, quick WRs on the roster. I think the only way this dude makes the roster, is if he kills it in the return game.

The guy that has a legit shot to beat out Bolden is Smelter, for that very reason. Kyle threw him some praise yesterday and he plays all 3 WR spots and it sounds like he works very hard...we know he blocks in the running game.

:50

• SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Originally posted by NCommand:
Already have two guys with his skill set on the roster. I think one of the bigger guys gets a roster spot over him, though he could beat out Aldrick Robinson for a spot.

my thoughts as well. Too many small, quick WRs on the roster. I think the only way this dude makes the roster, is if he kills it in the return game.

The guy that has a legit shot to beat out Bolden is Smelter, for that very reason. Kyle threw him some praise yesterday and he plays all 3 WR spots and it sounds like he works very hard...we know he blocks in the running game.

Doesn't make much sense to say Smelter will make the team over Bolden because he's a better blocker. lol The two players size wise are apples and oranges.

Like Chaz said if Bolden makes the team it will be because he proves to be the best return man.

The WRs we have on the roster base on size and position.

X - Garcon 6-0 211
X - Murphy 6-2 200
X - Smelter 6-2 227
X - Burbridge 6-1 208
X - Patrick 6-5 210
X - Bourne 6-1 203

Z - Kerley 5-9 188
Z - Goodwin 5-9 179
Z - Robinson 5-10 187

Y - Carter 5-8 190
Y - Bolden 5-8 178
Y - Taylor 5-8 181

Doesn't make much sense to say Smelter will make the team over Bolden because he's a better blocker. lol The two players size wise are apples and oranges.

Like Chaz said if Bolden makes the team it will be because he proves to be the best return man.

X - Garcon 6-0 211
X - Murphy 6-2 200
X - Smelter 6-2 227
X - Burbridge 6-1 208
X - Patrick 6-5 210
X - Bourne 6-1 203

Z - Kerley 5-9 188
Z - Goodwin 5-9 179
Z - Robinson 5-10 187

Y - Carter 5-8 190
Y - Bolden 5-8 178
Y - Taylor 5-8 181

This is why Ellington was cut and Patrick, 6'4" was brought in.

"I thought we were a little front loaded with some more inside receivers, the slot-type position. We had a little bit of a back-up there, we're trying to get some other guys who can play a little bit more on the outside." ~ Kyle on cutting Ellington.

Outside size. That's what Kyle is looking for. We're obviously secure inside (Kerley/Taylor) and at the X with Garcon (possession) and the all-purpose Robinson (versatility) and we've got the burner deep speed (Goodwin).

So what's missing? An outside WR who can:

Size-up, has height, large catching radius, has strength, the ability to box out, high point, take hits on slants, make plays in the EZ/RZ, is an outlet for the QB (can just throw it up to him), can block effectively on the edge on zone runs, on the move, etc. It's a totally different skill set. And this is why he has a legit chance to make the team.

And that's what Smelter is. Kyle also said he actually knows all 3 positions too which means they are trying too work him onto the 53.

So, IF you decide to keep a 6th WR, who do you go with?

1. Bolden who is another slot WR but with return abilities and some versatility on offense in specific designs or
2. Smelter who adds a missing outside skill set, plays all 3 spots but doesn't add anything on ST?

I think this race is much closer than we think. Both seem to be doing exactly what they should be doing based on their specific skill sets and are producing in practice.

Who you got?
[ Edited by NCommand on Aug 4, 2017 at 8:08 AM ]
I'd love if Smelter won a spot. I was high on him coming out of Georgia Tech.

That said, if they wanted size specifically, why did they cut Eric Rogers? They didn't even give him a chance to compete. I think Patrick and Murphy are just camp bodies, and best players will win spots, even if that means we're running out a bunch of munchkins.
[ Edited by Heroism on Aug 4, 2017 at 8:05 AM ]
Originally posted by Heroism:
I'd love if Smelter won a spot. I was high on him coming out of Georgia Tech.

That said, if they wanted size specifically, why did they cut Eric Rogers? They didn't even give him a chance to compete. I think Patrick and Murphy are just camp bodies.

I think best players will win spots, even if that means we're running out a bunch of munchkins.

This...a poster in here who's friends with Rogers said he wasn't fully healthy yet and still working back from that injury.
If they want size, there's always the 6'4, 230 lbs duo of Jon Baldwin and Doriel Green Beckham available.
[ Edited by Heroism on Aug 4, 2017 at 8:11 AM ]
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb

X - Garcon 6-0 211
X - Murphy 6-2 200
X - Smelter 6-2 227
X - Burbridge 6-1 208
X - Patrick 6-5 210
X - Bourne 6-1 203

Z - Kerley 5-9 188
Z - Goodwin 5-9 179
Z - Robinson 5-10 187

Y - Carter 5-8 190
Y - Bolden 5-8 178
Y - Taylor 5-8 181

This is why Ellington was cut and Patrick, 6'4" was brought in.

"I thought we were a little front loaded with some more inside receivers, the slot-type position. We had a little bit of a back-up there, we're trying to get some other guys who can play a little bit more on the outside." ~ Kyle on cutting Ellington.

Outside size. That's what Kyle is looking for. We're obviously secure inside (Kerley/Taylor) and at the X with Garcon (possession) and the all-purpose Robinson (versatility) and we've got the burner deep speed (Goodwin).

So what's missing? An outside WR who can:

Size-up, has height, large catching radius, has strength, the ability to box out, high point, take hits on slants, make plays in the EZ/RZ, is an outlet for the QB (can just throw it up to him), can block effectively on the edge on zone runs, on the move, etc. It's a totally different skill set. And this is why he has a legit chance to make the team.

And that's what Smelter is. Kyle also said he actually knows all 3 positions too which means they are trying too work him onto the 53.

So, IF you decide to keep a 6th WR, who do you go with?

1. Bolden who is another slot WR but with return abilities and some versatility on offense in specific designs or
2. Smelter who adds a missing outside skill set, plays all 3 spots but doesn't add anything on ST?

I think this race is much closer than we think. Both seem to be doing exactly what they should be doing based on their specific skill sets and are producing in practice.

Who you got?

tough call

X - Garcon 6-0 211 - #1
X - Murphy 6-2 200 - Cut
X - Smelter 6-2 227 - #4
X - Burbridge 6-1 208 - Cut
X - Patrick 6-5 210 - PS
X - Bourne 6-1 203 - PS

Z - Kerley 5-9 188 - #2
Z - Goodwin 5-9 179 - #3
Z - Robinson 5-10 187 - Cut

Y - Carter 5-8 190 - #6
Y - Bolden 5-8 178 #5
Y - Taylor 5-8 181 - PS

Until I see some games that's my stab in the dark.

tough call

X - Garcon 6-0 211 - #1
X - Murphy 6-2 200 - Cut
X - Smelter 6-2 227 - #4
X - Burbridge 6-1 208 - Cut
X - Patrick 6-5 210 - PS
X - Bourne 6-1 203 - PS

Z - Kerley 5-9 188 - #2
Z - Goodwin 5-9 179 - #3
Z - Robinson 5-10 187 - Cut

Y - Carter 5-8 190 - #6
Y - Bolden 5-8 178 #5
Y - Taylor 5-8 181 - PS

Until I see some games that's my stab in the dark.

Not a bad stab at all. Things can change daily too so stay tuned!
Smelter needs to be groomed as Garcon's replacement. He's got monster hands, strong as hell and can block.

From earlier in camp. He flat out beats Redmond
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Originally posted by saniner:

and the pass is under thrown by 5 yards lol
Originally posted by saniner:

and the pass is under thrown by 5 yards lol

omg that was a bad throw

Bolden looks pretty good