NY Jets HC-Robert Saleh

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by FrozeReactionZ:
good post bro

Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by PacTiger:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by PacTiger:
I wonder if Redmond and Reiser make the 53 since they aren't press CBs? Both are serviceable, might not fit here anymore.

Johnson, Robinson and witherspoon (rookie) can press.

Reaser is a nice nickel CB and Redmond has starting potential for the slot.

Serious question, what's the difference between a slot cb and a nickel cb?

It sort of depends...Redmond has the quick-twitch, hip-flipping ability to match up with a teams slot WR who typically are super quick and fast. Reaser can come in as an extra DB and play off coverage, can play outside, mostly deeper, etc.

There is even more versatility now and quite a bit of talent. Will be one of the most hotly contested areas on the team for starters and backups! Ward, Tartt, Robinson and Witherspoon; with Reaser, Redmond, Reid and Johnson backing up or starting depending on the opponent.
So who's gonna be the 2-down NT? Niners still need a big body for 1st & 2nd down.

Did Gilbert Brown have any kids?
[ Edited by NinerSickness on Apr 29, 2017 at 11:43 PM ]
Originally posted by NinerSickness:
So who's gonna be the 2-down NT? Niners still need a big body for 1st & 2nd down.

DJ Jones...6'1" 319 and listed as a perfect NT in the 4/3.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

I hope that isn't the only plan.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

I hope that isn't the only plan.

LOL! No, I would imagine Mitchell and Purcell will also fight for the spot. But I've wanted them to draft a stocky brick wall NT for years and now they have one!
http://www.fieldgulls.com/football-breakdowns/2013/5/16/4322210/seahawks-defense-history-pete-carroll-monte-kiffin

http://www.ninersnation.com/2017/2/15/14612820/pete-carroll-defensive-philosophy-robert-saleh-49ers-defensive-coordinator

http://www.xsosfootball.com/seattles-cover-3-six-degrees-of-monte-kiffin/

http://www.espn.com/blog/seattle-seahawks/post/_/id/22971/pete-carrolls-defensive-principles-stem-from-1977-arkansas-experience

http://www.bigcatcountry.com/2013/1/19/3890928/gus-bradley-defense-leo-position
[ Edited by JBrack on May 11, 2017 at 9:49 PM ]
He is a Pete Carroll clone.
aIs Saleh considered better DC that guy we had last year? (I already forgot his name)
Originally posted by Mertonschickendance:
aIs Saleh considered better DC that guy we had last year? (I already forgot his name)

Chip Kelly

• Buchy
  • Veteran
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
Originally posted by Mertonschickendance:

Chip Kelly

You mean Jim O'Neil, the guy who led the Browns defense to a horrible year in 2015....
Just some random thoughts going into the year:

• Saleh's success will greatly depend upon his ability to get a good rotation on the D-Line. There is a ton of talent, but roles are vague. If he can turn Armstead, Carradine, Blair, and/or Lynch into productive players, this defense will be formidable.

• I hope Lynch/Shanahan/Saleh aren't afraid to play the young guys even if they are stumbling. I want no doubt at the end of the season about who is worth keeping and who isn't.

• I really hope Brooks is gone. He is past his prime, has questionable work ethic, and isn't known for treating his teammates well. I am just not a fan. I'd rather keep Harold and see if he can make strides forward.

• I love the idea of a scheme change. I remember switching to a 3-4 when Nolan took over. I think we are much better off from a personnel standpoint than the last time we switched!
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Good points, Karma - I especially agree on Brooks. He's cancer on the team and is past his prime. Time to get Shanny's guys in there and be rid of the guy. I also agree on the scheme change - we're better off with the 4-3. We have the personnel to make the switch.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mayo49:
Good points, Karma - I especially agree on Brooks. He's cancer on the team and is past his prime. Time to get Shanny's guys in there and be rid of the guy. I also agree on the scheme change - we're better off with the 4-3. We have the personnel to make the switch.

Hold on there, man. Brooks actually is the best fit for the SAM role on the roster currently. I've been dreaming of the day we cut Brooks off the roster, but even in his current declining state, he's shown the best on-field production to best project at the SAM.

Here's hoping that Harold and Watson bounce him off the roster, but neither of those two players have shown the same level of production vs. Brooks.

If Brooks starts to misbehave in camp, then absolutely I see Shanahan and Lynch cutting the cord immediately. But until then, hopefully the others can prove to the staff that Brooks is no longer needed.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GEEK:
Hold on there, man. Brooks actually is the best fit for the SAM role on the roster currently. I've been dreaming of the day we cut Brooks off the roster, but even in his current declining state, he's shown the best on-field production to best project at the SAM.

Here's hoping that Harold and Watson bounce him off the roster, but neither of those two players have shown the same level of production vs. Brooks.

If Brooks starts to misbehave in camp, then absolutely I see Shanahan and Lynch cutting the cord immediately. But until then, hopefully the others can prove to the staff that Brooks is no longer needed.

I agree he's the best fit, but he has to hold on to the job and I just don't envision him holding on to it with Harold and Watson nipping at his heels.
Share 49ersWebzone