There are 245 users in the forums

NY Jets HC-Robert Saleh

Shop 49ers game tickets
I have a pretty good feeling about Saleh. A better feeling than I ever did on O'Neil. I like the way Saleh carries himself and has a little swagger to him. He's a young guy but has 12 years of NFL coaching experience under his belt. I hope he leans on Jason Tarver for support, as Tarver has 4 years of DC experience and I think he can help Saleh coordinating a Defense for the first time in his career.

He's got a pretty talented (unproven) group but the key will be finding a pass rusher and while I like the talent in our secondary, the corners are very, very young and inexperienced and their will be growing pains. The key will be the pass rush, I think we will be stout vs the run but I think we will lack a pass rush and that will be the biggest focus of the D going into next year.
Originally posted by StubbyNBY:
I have a pretty good feeling about Saleh. A better feeling than I ever did on O'Neil. I like the way Saleh carries himself and has a little swagger to him. He's a young guy but has 12 years of NFL coaching experience under his belt. I hope he leans on Jason Tarver for support, as Tarver has 4 years of DC experience and I think he can help Saleh coordinating a Defense for the first time in his career.

He's got a pretty talented (unproven) group but the key will be finding a pass rusher and while I like the talent in our secondary, the corners are very, very young and inexperienced and their will be growing pains. The key will be the pass rush, I think we will be stout vs the run but I think we will lack a pass rush and that will be the biggest focus of the D going into next year.

No question...agreed.
Originally posted by FrozeReactionZ:
As a 1st year D-cord, are you guys nervous Saleh has all these toys on defense now via draft, but wont know how to use them to their full potential lol, Im not gonna lie this floated my mind a few times...

Yes.
No experience and definitely not the coaches/Gm's first choice.

A proven D.C. Would have been nice. I know we hired late though.
Wade Phillips is a proven D.C. Who will turn things around for the rams.
He would have been the right fit for us as a 3/4 coach.
We have a rookie head coach/gm/D.C.
[ Edited by jeepzilla on May 15, 2017 at 8:55 AM ]
  • Buchy
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jeepzilla:
As a 1st year D-cord, are you guys nervous Saleh has all these toys on defense now via draft, but wont know how to use them to their full potential lol, Im not gonna lie this floated my mind a few times...

Yes.

I don't think Phillips was ever on the cards, I think from the get go that Shanny wanted to copy the Seahawks' style of defense because it has proved so robust and difficult to beat, it's the one he cites as hardest to scheme against. I'm not sure Saleh was his first choice for that scheme, but he does know the guy and knows that Saleh is well placed to coach it. The acid test will be the in game play calling.

Having said that, I like Saleh. The guy is clearly intelligent and focused and that's normally a very good sign of in fiend competence and execution.

Edit: Just to add that every DC has to have their first job acting as a DC somewhere. It's not like we're expecting to compete for 3 to 4 seasons so I all I'm looking for is signs of competence and progression. If we were top tier and looking to be in the play-offs for a shot at the SB then yes I'd be nervous with Saleh coming in. We're not there though, so what does it matter beyond seeing improvement through the season on defense and a step up from last year?
[ Edited by Buchy on May 15, 2017 at 9:05 AM ]
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

Yes.

That's probably one of the 3 biggest reasons he was hired. The other two would be familiarity with Kyle and knowledge of the game.
Lynch is a very smart defensive guy and no doubt has input into how Saleh develops the D. I'm putting my chips on the GM to understand and balance Shanahan's offensive mind. If Saleh becomes a great DC it will be great but he has a lot of help this year. Almost as important--were they able to hire the right position coaches? The key for Fangio was having one of the best DB and DL coaches in the NFL working with him. He was a great LB coach so they had their bases covered.

Hafley, Holland and Zgonina...are they really that good? Hope so!
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Lynch is a very smart defensive guy and no doubt has input into how Saleh develops the D. I'm putting my chips on the GM to understand and balance Shanahan's offensive mind. If Saleh becomes a great DC it will be great but he has a lot of help this year. Almost as important--were they able to hire the right position coaches? The key for Fangio was having one of the best DB and DL coaches in the NFL working with him. He was a great LB coach so they had their bases covered.

Not crazy about the his position coaches aside from Hafley. Tarver as a Senior defensive assistant will help though. I think DeMeco Ryans in time will be a very good positional coach. I think he could be another Singletary as far as LB's coach.
Apparently some of you aren't impressed with Saleh...fair enough. I like him...only time will tell how effective he'll be, but given Shanahan's said he's one of the smartest coaches he's ever been around is good enough for me starting out. Listening to him talk about his guys, he has some clear ideas how to use them. I think Lynch has done a commendable job acquiring players, so it's a matter of finding the best ones and putting them in positions to succeed. I think Saleh will be just fine...that's my gut feeling.

I think Lynch,Tarver and even Kyle who knows how to beat Defenses will be great assets to Saleh. Lynch might be a second D.C. behind the scenes telling Saleh what to do for all we know. Kinda like Spolstra learning and coaching through Riley.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SmokeCrabtrees:

I think Lynch,Tarver and even Kyle who knows how to beat Defenses will be great assets to Saleh. Lynch might be a second D.C. behind the scenes telling Saleh what to do for all we know. Kinda like Spolstra learning and coaching through Riley.

I think that's a great point. I do remember Dwight Clark was a personnel executive with the 49ers (I think) and he was instrumental in drafting Tyrell Owens. Too bad they didn't have tests to detect bi-polar or manic depressive symptoms back then. I don't think they can do that now today either. Point being is that Dwight Clark had the experience at the position and did help draft one of the best WR's to play the game. I hope Lynch can do the same thing for our defensive backs and defense in general under the new regime.

Originally posted by Giedi:

I think that's a great point. I do remember Dwight Clark was a personnel executive with the 49ers (I think) and he was instrumental in drafting Tyrell Owens. Too bad they didn't have tests to detect bi-polar or manic depressive symptoms back then. I don't think they can do that now today either. Point being is that Dwight Clark had the experience at the position and did help draft one of the best WR's to play the game. I hope Lynch can do the same thing for our defensive backs and defense in general under the new regime.

Me... ALL SUMMER '17
Originally posted by Buchy:

Yes.

I don't think Phillips was ever on the cards, I think from the get go that Shanny wanted to copy the Seahawks' style of defense because it has proved so robust and difficult to beat, it's the one he cites as hardest to scheme against. I'm not sure Saleh was his first choice for that scheme, but he does know the guy and knows that Saleh is well placed to coach it. The acid test will be the in game play calling.

Having said that, I like Saleh. The guy is clearly intelligent and focused and that's normally a very good sign of in fiend competence and execution.

Edit: Just to add that every DC has to have their first job acting as a DC somewhere. It's not like we're expecting to compete for 3 to 4 seasons so I all I'm looking for is signs of competence and progression. If we were top tier and looking to be in the play-offs for a shot at the SB then yes I'd be nervous with Saleh coming in. We're not there though, so what does it matter beyond seeing improvement through the season on defense and a step up from last year?
Solid post. If you go by the reports, the team went for experience at DC. They went after Fangio first and couldn't get him freed up from the Bears. They then tried to get Gus Bradley to stay in spite of not hiring Cable, which would have given Kyle an experienced DC and would have allowed him to still install the scheme he was interested in anyhow.

I spoke alot last season about if Chip had stayed then it's inevitable that his hand would have been forced to fire O'Neil and start from scratch again on defense. For a number reasons, I think Chip would have had to hire a position coach for the job as well and hope for the best. Shanahan got an extremely​ late start on building​ his coaching staff. In conjunction with the type of defense he wanted, Saleh was his best option for the timing. I also remember the reports that he was going the co-dc route with Saleh and Henderson but ultimately interviewed​ both and decided on Saleh.

Saleh seems energetic and well spoken to his business. He has great knowledge of the scheme and was a good linebacker coach. It will be a big test to see how he now game plans, makes in-game adjustment​s, and calls plays but every good DC had those same questions at some point. The one last rewarding​ thing I'll speak to on this subject is...Kyle is a compulsive football junkie. He's a film freak and loves to dig into the details, and that speaks to why he's been a successful OC for so many years. These type of people are naturally​ drawn to one of the same and Kyle said himself he had a very in-depth interview with Saleh, so I find some comfort in that if Kyle expects that kind of tireless work ethic of himself, than he will hold his coaching staff accountable to the same expectations as well.
[ Edited by Willisfn4life on May 15, 2017 at 12:57 PM ]
Originally posted by Willisfn4life:

Yes.

Solid post. If you go by the reports, the team went for experience at DC. They went after Fangio first and couldn't get him freed up from the Bears. They then tried to get Gus Bradley to stay in spite of not hiring Cable, which would have given Kyle an experienced DC and would have allowed him to still install the scheme he was interested in anyhow.

I spoke alot last season about if Chip had stayed then it's inevitable that his hand would have been forced to fire O'Neil and start from scratch again on defense. For a number reasons, I think Chip would have had to hire a position coach for the job as well and hope for the best. Shanahan got an extremely​ late start on building​ his coaching staff. In conjunction with the type of defense he wanted, Saleh was his best option for the timing. I also remember the reports that he was going the co-dc route with Saleh and Henderson but ultimately interviewed​ both and decided on Saleh.

Saleh seems energetic and well spoken to his business. He has great knowledge of the scheme and was a good linebacker coach. It will be a big test to see how he now game plans, makes in-game adjustment​s, and calls plays but every good DC had those same questions at some point. The one last rewarding​ thing I'll speak to on this subject is...Kyle is a compulsive football junkie. He's a film freak and loves to dig into the details, and that speaks to why he's been a successful OC for so many years. These type of people are naturally​ drawn to one of the same and Kyle said himself he had a very in-depth interview with Saleh, so I find some comfort in that if Kyle expects that kind of tireless work ethic of himself, than he will hold his coaching staff accountable to the same expectations as well.

If he didn't know his ish I feel Kyle would of sniffed out and decided against it. I think we have the right pieces around of him. Hopefully our defensive personnel can make his job that much easier
[ Edited by SmokeCrabtrees on May 15, 2017 at 1:13 PM ]
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

Yes.

Well, I hope so! But if Saleh sucks big time, I hope Kyle has the Walsh balls to fire him the way Walsh canned Chuck Studly after the sucky 1982 season.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

Yes.

If he didn't know his ish I feel Kyle would of sniffed out and decided against it. I think we have the right pieces around of him. Hopefully our defensive personnel can make his job that much easier

I'm betting we'll be behind a lot of teams in the 3rd and 4rth quarters in the first half of the season. Saleh's run defense better be up to snuff or the first half of the season is going to be very painful for the fans.
Share 49ersWebzone