LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 165 users in the forums

NY Jets HC-Robert Saleh

Shop 49ers game tickets
^^^ in addiition to blitzes, I meant to include "Looks" that appeared we were going to blitz, at least a couple times for every time we actually did blitz. So show blitz 3x and blitz once. Just anything to show more than what we did last yr, which was somewhere between boring and pablum. Love the wide 9s, except when someone wants to take off right up the gut in the RZ...as happened to us once already. Still , it is a really different look and any new looks are welcome.

It is hard to believe we actually were in the bottom 10 of teams that blitz...i figured we were THE bottom...ie #32. Now, with way , way more pressure from the outside, it may appear we are blitzing and with any kind of good luck, i hope it looks like a jailbreak on the QB every snap. I know that won't happen, but i can't wait to see our DL really pressure QBs. For whatever reason, can't download football outsiders, but would be interested in what % of D snaps we blitzed. Almost 20% of the time just doesn't seem possible...unless our blitzes were so pathetic that they didn't appear to be blitzes.

So, Thl, did we REALLY blitz almost 20% of the D snaps or did i read that incorrectly? Oops, i got it. "FIVE OR MORE RUSHERS"....that explains it. Well, 5 or more rushers sure didn't do much last yr to make the QBs think they were getting blitzed.

As for the different DB coverages, now THAT is really welcome. The only thing i recall about our Backfield coverages is our guys running after their WRs....which you pointed out is the result, NOT the cause. Still it is the result of crappy technique that remained in my mind's eye as our DBs chasing their WRs...and it was ugly. That is # 1 reason i was ecstatic when Joe Woods ended up here.

If we can just get Dee and Nicky B on the field....ah....what a welcome sight that will be.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Aug 28, 2019 at 9:32 AM ]
  • thl408
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
^^^ in addiition to blitzes, I meant to include "Looks" that appeared we were going to blitz, at least a couple times for every time we actually did blitz. So show blitz 3x and blitz once. Just anything to show more than what we did last yr, which was somewhere between boring and pablum. Love the wide 9s, except when someone wants to take off right up the gut in the RZ...as happened to us once already. Still , it is a really different look and any new looks are welcome.

It is hard to believe we actually were in the bottom 10 of teams that blitz...i figured we were THE bottom...ie #32. With way , way more pressure from the outside, it may appear we are blitzing and with any kind of good luck, i hope it looks like a jailbreak on the QB every snap. I know that won't happen, but i can't wait to see our DL really pressure QBs. For whatever reason, can't download football outsiders, but would be interested in what % of D snaps we blitzed. Almost 20% of the time just doesn't seem possible...unless our blitzes were so pathetic that they didn't appear to be blitzes.

So, Thl, did we REALLY blitz almost 20% of the D snaps or did i read that incorrectly?
The data in that link counts all passing plays by the opponent to chart blitz frequency. I consider FootballOutsiders a credible source for quantitative data although I'm not checking their work because that's a lot of counting.
Originally posted by thl408:
The data in that link counts all passing plays by the opponent to chart blitz frequency. I consider FootballOutsiders a credible source for quantitative data although I'm not checking their work because that's a lot of counting.

Thanx.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by thl408:
Are you equating blitzing with good defense? I've seen you mention it a couple times.

Regarding blitz and defense - personally if I'm going to blitz, it's in the red zone. If I was going to use blitz regularly, as in a zone blitz scheme, I'd use it in a nickle defense type of personnel with good cover corners and safeties and less linebackers. Finally, it has to have variation, but like Kyle has his money plays (ie the bootleg to the Tight End) you have your money blitz packages too - and I think you can get *too fancy* like Dom Capers with all the blitzers coming from everywhere and you have no practice at the basic blitz package scheme to become good at it, vs a much simpler blitz scheme that defensive players can rep and become instinctively good at.

Having said that, I wouldn't want Saleh to become blitz-happy. As previously said, with Bosa and Ford, you might not have to blitz a lot - which is a positive in my opinion. I think a basic 4 man rush is adequate. I disagree with Saleh that a four man rush can be typed, anticipated and defended. I think a basic 4 man rush can be quite creative if you do various stunts and match that with various personnel sets and splits. The great Steel Curtain defense did fine with a four man rush. For example, you can line up a 4 man rush in wide 9, a basic 46 (with linebackers dropping instead of rushing), twist the ends, twist the DT's, slant the defense away from the strong side, or to the strong side, have the left end loop to the right, Bellicheat does the amoeba defense where the entire D Line is in a two point stance except for the NT/DT. In terms of personnel, you can have 4 DT's rushing, 4 DE's rushing, two DE and two LB's rushing, you can put 3 DT's and a safety (with the safety in a wide 9 stance) etc... I just think Saleh has to be more creative and more deceptive. Hopefully he grows in that area this year with help from some very experienced assistants.
after this year, we will move on from this guy
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
#PutAwigOnIt #SpitShine #AcornHead

Don't let us down, dude!
If he pulls his AA+ST Big End/LEO early-down b******t with Bosa+Ford in his stupid SNICKEL, I'm going to lose it. I know I'm not alone on this one. Haha
Originally posted by NCommand:
If he pulls his AA+ST Big End/LEO early-down b******t with Bosa+Ford in his stupid SNICKEL, I'm going to lose it. I know I'm not alone on this one. Haha

People will say hes smart since he knows Bosa and Ford might be injury prone, so gotta put them on a snap count and come in only on 3rd and long
[ Edited by Ensatsu on Sep 1, 2019 at 2:05 PM ]
Originally posted by Ensatsu:

People will say hes smart since he knows Bosa and Ford might be injury prone, so gotta put them on a snap count and come in only on 3rd and long

You're already ahead of the defender game. Well done!
  • evil
  • Veteran

And if one of them played all the base downs and got hurt, the other side of the coin would b***h that we let them play too many snaps given they were both coming back from injury.

We are always damned when we do and damned when we don't.

Originally posted by evil:

And if one of them played all the base downs and got hurt, the other side of the coin would b***h that we let them play too many snaps given they were both coming back from injury.

Typically I'd agree but we didn't pay $80M and use the 2nd pick in the draft for big SNICKEL players. These two need to be on the field every damn down.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

Typically I'd agree but we didn't pay $80M and use the 2nd pick in the draft for big SNICKEL players. These two need to be on the field every damn down.

Personally I dont think this defense needs both edge rushers playing on first down or third and short. I think one (either ford or bosa) can man the edge rusher position on those first downs.

Its when its 3rd and long or when it's the 4th qtr and Kyle is ahead and trying to put the opposing team away, is when both need to be on the field.
  • evil
  • Veteran

Fair point but this is game one and both guys have yet to play a game and are both returning from injury. We need these guys for 4 quarters every week and for at least 16 games.

We also have a DC and DL coach who believe in rotating players to keep them fresh so I would not expect them to play 100% of the snaps.

Fair point but this is game one and both guys have yet to play a game and are both returning from injury. We need these guys for 4 quarters every week and for at least 16 games.

We also have a DC and DL coach who believe in rotating players to keep them fresh so I would not expect them to play 100% of the snaps.

I certainly agree. Bosa has the potential to be an every down End because he's just as stellar against the run as he is against the pass. Plus he's coming off injuries and he's a rookie. I think Saleh goes BIG for a while because he prefers it and it justifies the $9M we gave AA (Big End) and it's the only place he feels comfortable giving the #3 overall pick snaps (Big LEO). Slowly work Bosa into a FT player.

Ford? Not the best against the run but being out wide helps a smaller edge shut down those outside runs and helps force things back inside. But also, like you noted, it's not a bad idea to slowly work him in.

All that said, my best 'guess' for the first 3 games is we'll continue to run W9 predominantly (tightest W9) but continue to use Saleh's big personnel (i.e. AA and ST at end and Jones and Buckner inside). Then he brings in his edge rushers in his big SNICKEL swapping out Jones for either ST or AA inside and Ford and Bosa for AA and ST.

Do you have any guesses on how this will look the first 3 weeks? Maybe how you expect it to look mid way through the year...end?

I'd love people's take on it. We've changed a lot with the W9, Saleh being a big personnel guy, Woods, etc.
[ Edited by NCommand on Sep 2, 2019 at 8:44 AM ]
Originally posted by Giedi:
Personally I dont think this defense needs both edge rushers playing on first down or third and short. I think one (either ford or bosa) can man the edge rusher position on those first downs.

Its when its 3rd and long or when it's the 4th qtr and Kyle is ahead and trying to put the opposing team away, is when both need to be on the field.

Teams pass more on first downs now. The league isn't run-run-pass anymore. But a good mix and having a DC who's pretty good at guessing right and a morphed defense that can defend both on a fly (base + nickel married) is ideal.
[ Edited by NCommand on Sep 2, 2019 at 8:47 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone