NY Jets HC-Robert Saleh

Shop 49ers game tickets
Mr. Clean is our weak link IMO, I hope I am wrong
  • Crown
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by riverrunzthruit:
Mr. Clean is our weak link IMO, I hope I am wrong

For sure.
As posted previously, i can't fault KS here because he brot in two excellent coaches for DL and DB...and if our D whiffs , say 3x in 1st 4 games, well then kyle has not just one, but 2 guys on staff who could take over.
Saleh is learning whether people like to admit it or not. question is will it show on the field. let's see.
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by jonnydel:
Just thinking out loud about the pro's and cons or the thinking behind the call:

Trying to manufacture a quick pressure on 3rd down and keep the defense from having to protect the whole field.
Solomon Thomas shouldn't be the primary player on the field in that role - that said, I hate the idea of having Bosa or Ford, your best pass rushers not rushing the passer.
Saleh is trying different blitzes to manufacture pressure and said it's too easy for offenses to block just 4 all the time, that's cool. However, isn't that why you went out and got Dee Ford and Nick Bosa? So you can get pressure with just 4 all the time?
Are we really planning on not getting pressure with Ford, Buckner, and Bosa?
Of all the ways to generate pressure why would you have any situation where a DE is manned up on a RB?
"They'll never see it coming."
I think if you ask most DCs, they'd rather rush 4 and play coverage - assuming they can pressure the QB with 4. Against good QBs, it's good to have some exotic looks to throw them off that does not involve blitzing since good QBs like to be blitzed.

I feel anytime a DC drops 8 into coverage like on that play, they aren't trying to generate pressure, they are trying to throw off the timing of the play, mainly quick throws. So they drop 8, have the QB hold onto the ball longer than they'd want to, and disrupt the timing of the play. For example, it's a 3 step drop and the QB sees that there is a bunch of guys in coverage in the short area of the field, muddied with defenders. He holds onto the ball longer than he'd like and hopefully the play breaks down.

While they had 8 drop on that play, I don't think that is what was supposed to happen. Saleh talked about it and said this, "No, that's his peel. He's, we call him a peel rusher, so that is his coverage. The overall design of the play, not what we want which is what I was referring to with Solomon being, basically him peeling with the quarterback being able to step into his throw is not something we want. So, no, we don't want that happening."

Looking at the play, they were in a 3-4 type alignment. They had Solly and another player standing up with 3 down lineman. Solly peeled off and the other DE/OLB dropped over the middle.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
So his starting lineup includes ward, aa, spoon and tartt?
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jcs:
So his starting lineup includes ward, aa, spoon and tartt?

the more things change. the more they stay the same. amazing.. we keep crappy players and HOPE they will be better.
Ward is like that f##king piece of gum stuck to the bottom of your shoe that no matter what you do you just can't get rid of it.
Originally posted by Oilcan:
Ward is like that f##king piece of gum stuck to the bottom of your shoe that no matter what you do you just can't get rid of it.

You think of ward so highly. That'd be a easy fix, buy a new shoe. Ward is something worst than that....a abomination..........

lol lets see how he does, he played well in that preseason game.
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by Giedi:
Personally I dont think this defense needs both edge rushers playing on first down or third and short. I think one (either ford or bosa) can man the edge rusher position on those first downs.

Its when its 3rd and long or when it's the 4th qtr and Kyle is ahead and trying to put the opposing team away, is when both need to be on the field.

Teams pass more on first downs now. The league isn't run-run-pass anymore. But a good mix and having a DC who's pretty good at guessing right and a morphed defense that can defend both on a fly (base + nickel married) is ideal.
Heh, let's see how Saleh plays the wide 9 against Bruce and the Buc's. First play against this defense in the San Diego preseason game was a 40 yard sprint right up the teeth of that wide 9.

Stupid to play that on first and 10, but hey, I'm just a fan.

It was. It was Blair at end IIRC.

What are your minimum goals for the defense? I think this D should be getting 48 sacks(3/gm) and 28 turnovers(1.75/gm) for the season easily after getting 37 sacks and 7 turnovers last year. If there are no significant injuries and these goals are not reached I think it's time for change at DC.
Nearly two turnovers a game would be great! But I'd be happy if we got at least one per game.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mcbaes72:
Nearly two turnovers a game would be great! But I'd be happy if we got at least one per game.

I'd be good with a +1 net turnover per game. That translates to about a 70% winning percentage according to certain correlation charts on wins vs net turnovers.
I know Saleh is allergic to pass rushers but is this guy any good?

[ Edited by NCommand on Sep 3, 2019 at 6:20 PM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:
I know Saleh is allergic to pass rushers but is this guy any good?

Only 260 pounds. Needs to be around 300 lbs to play big end in our scheme
Share 49ersWebzone