LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 278 users in the forums

Does Chip Kelly deserve a last fair shot as a NFL HC?

Shop 49ers game tickets

Does Chip Kelly deserve a last fair shot as a NFL HC?

I personally say yes. But what do yall think?
I would only say yes if the NFL allowed teams to dress 80+ players every week. Until that happens, his college system will not work in the NFL.
I would say yes also, He would follow Norv Turner and Mike Mularkey who did decent their 1st go-around as NFL head coaches, horrible in bad situations the 2nd time. Both got a 3rd chance
Pete Carroll Also fits this. Horrible though in his 1st stint. Decent in 2nd stint with Pats. Went to USC and got a 3rd chance with Seattle.
  • TheNef77
  • Q46 Draft 3rd place
Yes. If he goes to Denver, Lynch is a perfect QB for his system. The offense is already a heavy zone running offense. He's got the WR's he needs. More importantly, Elway stops Chip from being a GM but still goes all out getting him the best talent.
  • titan
  • Veteran
Showed major composure as a 49er head coach. It appears he had learned from his past.
LA Rams
  • Goatie
  • Veteran
It was reported he was interested in getting a job as an offensive co-ordinator.

This would be smart for him to stay in the league and work under another Head Coaches scheme exposing him to new ideas which would help him develop his own. I think he will benefit from the experience and keep his foot in the door which will give him an advantage in competing for another HC position in a couple of years.

He is a football guy who loves the game and I thing he still has great potential to develop.

I hope he does in the future.
I reckon he deserves to get another shot and I hope he does.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
he's done.

I'd like to see what he could do with a legit roster.. what if we signed chip back in 11' when our roster was stacked.
IDK . Some of those run plays were straight gahbidge.
i didn't like his coaching tactics but the dude got screwed.
I think the best thing for him would be to serve as an OC, and someone who forces him to make the changes that could make his offense great. Sprinkle in some run game variety, vary the pace more, etc.

If he learns a few lessons, he could be a good HC I think.
[ Edited by WolfTotem on Jan 4, 2017 at 2:16 AM ]
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Straight up no.

I am just sick and tired of hearing about how he got screwed by the 9ers.

Well, sure the roster was bad, but that is not the root of the problem. The real problem lies in his system and his inability to adjust.

You look back at his time with the Eagles, even with a much better roster than the 9ers, every year his record basically got worse and worse.

The truth of the matter is in the NFL teams make adjustments. If you have something novel, they will eventually catch up to you, is just a matter of time. The question is what happens once teams can neutralize your system? You have to make your own adjustments or devise a new system to make it work. But, this is exactly Chip Kelly's problem, he has stop innovating.
Share 49ersWebzone