LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 273 users in the forums

Kirk Cousins

Shop 49ers game tickets
There doesn't seem to be a can't miss QB prospect in this year's draft, so anyone we take would need time to sit. We clearly can't go into next year with Gabbert or Kap as our starter. We have oodles of cap space, so why not bite the bullet and get this guy. He's been a 4,000 + yard passer the last 2 years and hits 69% of is passes. 50/19 TD to int ration over the last 2 years. This guy is a solid starting QB.

I think he should be our #1 FA target. The we draft Myles Garrett. That would patch up 2 huge needs.

Say what you want about him being mediocre, but mediocre is a hell of a lot better than being the WORST.
[ Edited by Trath44 on Dec 9, 2016 at 2:04 PM ]
Originally posted by Trath44:
There doesn't seem to be a can't miss QB prospect in this year's draft, so anyone we take would need time to sit. We clearly can't go into next year with Gabbert or Kap as our starter. We have oodles of cap space, so why not bite the bullet and get this guy. He's been a 4,000 + yard passer the last 2 years and hits 69% of is passes. 50/19 TD to int ration over the last 2 years. This guy is a solid starting QB.

I think he should be our #1 FA target. The we draft Myles Garrett. That would patch up 2 huge needs.

Say what you want about him being mediocre, but mediocre is a hell of a lot better than being the WORST.

Washington will sign him to a contract he feels he deserves in the off. McCloughan is not letting him get away. Pipe dream to think we even have a shot.
[ Edited by WINiner on Dec 9, 2016 at 4:07 PM ]
  • Jiks
If we were further along in our rebuilding, maybe, but at this stage paying a guy tons of money seems pointless.
Originally posted by Jiks:
If we were further along in our rebuilding, maybe, but at this stage paying a guy tons of money seems pointless.

With a crap QB, this team can get a losing culture, with a decent QB, the team would at least having a fighting chance, and wouldn't feel pressured to grasp at a rookie prospect.

Niners have a ton of cap space going to waste anyway. Including what we'd free up if Kap leaves. So I think getting a QB like Cousins makes a lot of sense.
[ Edited by Trath44 on Dec 9, 2016 at 7:49 PM ]
Originally posted by Jiks:

you and baalke think alike....

There's no way Cousins will be a FA. Our best chance of acquiring a QB outside of the draft is to trade for that NE QB. And there's no way i would want him here without mcdaniels and I don't know if I want Mcdaniels here....
Originally posted by LVJay:
Had a wide open WR in the endzone in the final minute to beat Dallas last week, he never bothered to look to his right side...

He looked to his left instead and threw game ending INT

Originally posted by pdizo916:

There's no way Cousins will be a FA. Our best chance of acquiring a QB outside of the draft is to trade for that NE QB. And there's no way i would want him here without mcdaniels and I don't know if I want Mcdaniels here....

Why is there no way he'll be a FA? His contract expires after this year. You don't think he wants a bid war to happen over him?
  • Dino
  • Veteran

Why is there no way he'll be a FA? His contract expires after this year. You don't think he wants a bid war to happen over him?

Franchise Tag
  • BobS
  • Veteran

Redskins have already said they will franchise him again for $24 mil if a long term deal isn't done.
ESPN's Jason Reid reports "former Redskins officials who know Kirk Cousins" have said free agent Cousins doesn't want to be in Washington and would prefer to be franchise-tagged.

The sides have made what sounds like zero progress on a long-term deal, and Cousins may simply be fed up with the way GM Scot McCloughan and Co. has handled negotiations over the past two offseasons. The front office clearly didn't believe in Cousins last year at this time, making him prove himself again on a one-year deal, and Cousins answered the bell with a big year. It's fair to wonder if the "former Redskins officials" Reid is referring to is someone(s) from the old Shanahan regime, as then-OC Kyle Shanahan literally "stood on a table" for Cousins when they drafted him. Shanahan, now the head coach in San Francisco, doesn't have a quarterback and remains enamored with Cousins, who has made it known he feels the same way toward Shanahan. If Cousins is able to force his way out of D.C. this year or next, a reunion in Santa Clara would be a good bet.

Source: Jason Reid on Twitter

I wish they would make it a rule that you can only franchise a player once.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
No
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
No

yeah who needs a QB who threw for just about 5000 yards last season. let's resign Kap
I wish they would make it a rule that you can only franchise a player once.

What's the rules on that? Teams can just franchise the same player as many years as they want?
This board is total crazy for cousins .a qb in cousin who has zero playoffs wins & also throws crucial interceptions..and who has the luxury of 3 WRs & tight end ..compare to kaep who only has a slot receiver ok .i will support Kaep get him some weapons .cousins is a no thank you .put Kaep with the weapons cousins has,let's see what he can do
Share 49ersWebzone