LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 172 users in the forums

*Los Angeles Rams thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by JTB1974:
This is what happens when you give up so much draft capital without an extension as part of the deal. You have no choice but to pay him whatever he wants. There is a reason why the trade value of a player goes way down when he only has a year or two left on his contract. This is why it shocked me that the Jets were able to get two 1st round picks and a 3rd for Adams. Seahawks now have to re-sign him, even if he wants $23 Million per year. Unless ofcourse they win the SB during the rental period and they could alteast let him go and say " Well we got a SB out of it, so it was worth it".

This was always the head scratcher for me when the Rams gave up all those picks. It seemed pretty clear that Ramsey wasn't going to make the Rams Superbowl contenders last year so what was the long-term reasoning?

To me it suggests the Rams organization really lives in a self-deluded bubble, they have a problem saying "no" to shiny new things, or they are the types driven by the need to "do something".
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by jrg:

So what's the penalty if they're over after the deadline??

hahahah... According to the Oracle of Wikipedia, they can be fined, lose draft picks or have contracts voided. Reddit internet experts are sure it could never really happen because the NFL has to approve all deals. Why go through the trouble of outlining penalties then?

Edit: I can't imagine they will actually be out of compliance, but it is funny to see them up against it.
[ Edited by Midbay on Sep 9, 2020 at 9:26 AM ]
  • Mayor
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Midbay:
This is what happens when you give up so much draft capital without an extension as part of the deal. You have no choice but to pay him whatever he wants. There is a reason why the trade value of a player goes way down when he only has a year or two left on his contract. This is why it shocked me that the Jets were able to get two 1st round picks and a 3rd for Adams. Seahawks now have to re-sign him, even if he wants $23 Million per year. Unless ofcourse they win the SB during the rental period and they could alteast let him go and say " Well we got a SB out of it, so it was worth it".

This was always the head scratcher for me when the Rams gave up all those picks. It seemed pretty clear that Ramsey wasn't going to make the Rams Superbowl contenders last year so what was the long-term reasoning?

To me it suggests the Rams organization really lives in a self-deluded bubble, they have a problem saying "no" to shiny new things, or they are the types driven by the need to "do something".

According to the GM; there's a 50/50 chance that a first rounder is a bust but if you get a player like Ramsey them you know what you get our of it.

What surprised me was that they were over the cap. They lost already so many players ...
Originally posted by Mayor:
Originally posted by Midbay:

According to the GM; there's a 50/50 chance that a first rounder is a bust but if you get a player like Ramsey them you know what you get our of it.

What surprised me was that they were over the cap. They lost already so many players ...

I am sympathetic to that argument, but I think it works better for teams that are one specific person away from a legit Superbowl run, or are up-and-coming with a lot of cap space and draft picks. The 2019 Rams had neither. The 2016 Rams had both and the next few years turned out well, but they quickly became a team with neither cap space or draft picks. The Rams continue to make deals like they are the 2016 Rams though.

I can't post tweets but here is something from a guy named Steven Ruiz:

Rams trades since 2016

Got: Jared Goff, Sammy Watkin 15 games, Marcus Peters 22 g, Aqib Talib 13 g, Jalen Ramsey, Brandin Cooks, Dante Fowler Jr., Austin Corbett, Kenny Young 4th 4th 5th 6th 6th 6th 7th

For: 1st 1st 1st 1st 1st 2nd 2nd 2nd 2nd 3rd 3rd 3rd 4th 4th 5th 5th 5th 6th

I can more understand the Jamal Adams deal because Seattle understands their fortunes are tied to Wilson, and want to maximize every year as if it is his last. They have been smarter than the Rams in their contracts as well, and it is a better risk than the Rams and Ramsey, because at least they have hope. Crazy stuff can happen with Wilson. I don't see how the Rams felt like they were viable contenders when they traded for Ramsey though.
NFL Network's Steve Wyche reports the Rams are working on an extension for contract-year WR Cooper Kupp.

After getting Jalen Ramsey signed and sealed Wednesday, GM Les Snead is turning his attention to Kupp. The "hope" is to get it done before Sunday, but "there is a lot of work to be done," according to Wyche. Snead has handed out a ton of big-money deals recently, and Kupp's will likely be no different. Kupp will probably be eyeing something similar to what Keenan Allen got -- four years and "more than" $80 million -- from the Chargers last weekend.
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:
NFL Network's Steve Wyche reports the Rams are working on an extension for contract-year WR Cooper Kupp.

After getting Jalen Ramsey signed and sealed Wednesday, GM Les Snead is turning his attention to Kupp. The "hope" is to get it done before Sunday, but "there is a lot of work to be done," according to Wyche. Snead has handed out a ton of big-money deals recently, and Kupp's will likely be no different. Kupp will probably be eyeing something similar to what Keenan Allen got -- four years and "more than" $80 million -- from the Chargers last weekend.
Do these f**kers even have a salary cap?
  • thl408
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:

They'll have 5-6 good players and bunch of nobodies. Too bad they aren't a basketball team.
Rams have given Kupp a 3 extension worth $48 Million.
Woods gets 4 year/$68 million extension.
Salary cap mode turned off

Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
Salary cap mode turned off

Lol exactly my thoughts, and how can they ?
That's now a lot of money tied up into their WR corps.
Rams WR Robert Woods signed a four-year extension worth $65 million.

ESPN's Adam Schefter reported Woods' deal is worth a maximum of $68 million. Woods in 2019 was 12th in receptions and and 16th in receiving yardage in Sean McVay's offense. His new deal is larger than Cooper Kupp's three-year, $48 million contract. Woods and Kupp should be centerpieces of the Rams offense for years to come.

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter
Sep 18, 2020, 5:52 PM ET
the 49ers should have cheat the cap like the rams and chiefs. Cheap ass 49ers traded away Buckner. I don't want to hear an excuse about the 49ers inability to sign a player because of their cap.
How is this possible? Can someone do the math?
Share 49ersWebzone