LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 221 users in the forums

Should NFL referees be full time professional

Shop 49ers game tickets

Should NFL referees be full time professional

Originally posted by SoCold:
Originally posted by KajunNiner:

Mike Carey explained why it should have been a catch.
Nose of the ball can touch the ground during a catch as long as the player controls it after. The other camera angle shows it never touches the ground when he rolls over. Of course the next play was a sack, strip, fumble touchdown. lol

Cotchery also should have caught it clean. Dude had like 4 drops in the game.
-Cotchery had 4 drops
-Norman had two game changing INT drops
-Rb fumbles
-Cam Fumbles
-Carolinas' special teams got burned twice for big time gains
-Carolina missed a field goal

The Panthers deserved to lose that game. Denver played an almost mistake free game. Minning won without throwing a td. Denver could've been up by more.
I think the referees should decide it.
The refs are going to make mistakes period just like the players make mistakes. No one is perfect people make mistakes theirs just get noticed more because millions of people are watching. I'm sure everyone of use makes mistakes at our jobs but we don't have 1000s of people watching us on a tv to point every little one out.
I think they do as good a job as they can do like I said their humans not robots.

Nose of the ball can touch the ground during a catch as long as the player controls it after. The other camera angle shows it never touches the ground when he rolls over. Of course the next play was a sack, strip, fumble touchdown. lol

Could have sworn the rule was that if the ball is moving during the catch and it hits the ground, it's incomplete. Ah well....

Looks incomplete to me. By the time the receiver really gains control (it has stopped rotating in his grasp) it has clearly touched the ground - his hand is not under it and it is moving.
Originally posted by socal9er42:

Could have sworn the rule was that if the ball is moving during the catch and it hits the ground, it's incomplete. Ah well....

Looks incomplete to me. By the time the receiver really gains control (it has stopped rotating in his grasp) it has clearly touched the ground - his hand is not under it and it is moving.
No that is the rule. They were all acting like the ball didn't touch the ground when explaining their opinions. The rule is that the player has to establish control before it hits the ground then maintain control afterwards to completion. He bobbles the ball after it hits the ground which is not maintaining control which is what the ref who called it incomplete saw. The player bobbling the ball after slamming to the ground. Don't think it would of mattered though, that Defense wasn't gonna be beaten by Cam that day.
The fact that these refs are not full time is shocking to me. SMH
[ Edited by pdizo916 on Feb 10, 2016 at 2:15 PM ]
I have a relative who knows one of the major NFL Refs and we got into this discussion once upon a time and I was arguing for them being full time. He said the Refs actually prefer being part time (with a couple of them full time). Apparently the NFL doesn't pay them a ton of money (at least at the time of our conversation) and they need their regular jobs. I had trouble believing that, but my relative assured that it was true.

http://time.com/money/4200441/nfl-referees-get-paid-super-bowl/

Sounds like a pretty good deal to me, but no clue about whether or not their expenses are covered.

Wonder if they were full time they'd be any better though....
^Thank you for posting. If that link that you posted has true figures in it, I find it VERY hard to believe that these NFL refs need regular jobs to supplement their NFL income. The article says the average NFL ref made $173k in 2013. $173 thousand?!? That isnt enough to live on?!?

SMH.
  • MFWIC
  • Veteran
Still part timers,
[ Edited by MFWIC on Feb 11, 2016 at 12:27 AM ]
Full time, part time. If they feel it's worth a flag then they will throw it

Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
^Thank you for posting. If that link that you posted has true figures in it, I find it VERY hard to believe that these NFL refs need regular jobs to supplement their NFL income. The article says the average NFL ref made $173k in 2013. $173 thousand?!? That isnt enough to live on?!?

SMH.

My relative lives in San Diego and said the same of the Ref he knows. Cost of living in a nice neighborhood is pretty phenomenal. If you are living on one income for the Family and have nice new house, you need serious bucks.

Imagine it's the same in many places - SF, SEA, NY, MIA, etc etc.
yes for the the season. they should be in their training when training camp starts.

they're done when they finish their last game and free to work or vacation until the next training camp.
Share 49ersWebzone