LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 183 users in the forums

Should NFL referees be full time professional

Shop 49ers game tickets

Should NFL referees be full time professional

• MFWIC
  • Veteran
Especially relevant after some crazy calls in super howler 50.

Given the billions the NFL generates why can't they Have full time paid referees.

Would that improve officiating? The answer is in other professional leagues around the world. I.e they have full,time professional referees.

So why is it that in 2016 NFL still have part timers officiatIng?

Thanks
[ Edited by MFWIC on Feb 11, 2016 at 12:26 AM ]
Wait......crazy calls?
We all want to watch pro games... the referees should be professionals too. And attend off season training as well. And everyone of them should be evaluated and their performance bonuses,or fines, to a committee agreed to by the owners. Enough is enough with some of these bozos.
YES!

And they should be honing their skills all off season.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Still won't fix anything.
  • Janitor
  • HOF Food Reviews
even if super howler
Yes, ... that being said ... With the stupidity of the NFL HQ I question whether full-time referees would actually make much of a difference.

The negative impacts referees are having on games is getting worse, it was never this bad a decade ago and beyond.

Yes, the reception by the Panther's receiver in the 1st quarter was an unconventional catch, but several replay angles show that the ball never touched the ground and somehow it's not a catch? How does that work Dean? (Actually I wouldn't want an explanation from Blandino, him continually talking in circles does nothing constructive.)

Whether it be regular season, or playoff games, it's fair to say these shenanigans have directly affected the outcomes of some games and contributed to momentum swings in others. I'm no conspiracy theorist when it comes to the NFL, but I can see how someone could come to such a conclusion, even if I don't see it. I think TPTB are just that inept when it comes to fair and reasonable officiating.
Originally posted by 49er-from-Yavin-IV:

Yes, the reception by the Panther's receiver in the 1st quarter was an unconventional catch, but several replay angles show that the ball never touched the ground and somehow it's not a catch? How does that work Dean? (Actually I wouldn't want an explanation from Blandino, him continually talking in circles does nothing constructive.)

Several replay angles showed the ball never hit the ground. One replay angle showed that it DID.

It was an incomplete pass. Really is a shame that the overwhelming majority of people who watched the Superbowl believe the call was blown when the ball absolutely 100% hit the ground.
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:

Several replay angles showed the ball never hit the ground. One replay angle showed that it DID.

It was an incomplete pass. Really is a shame that the overwhelming majority of people who watched the Superbowl believe the call was blown when the ball absolutely 100% hit the ground.

If true, then the bigger shame was that the replay you suggest stating the ball hit the ground was never shown.

Originally posted by JimA49ers:
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:

If true, then the bigger shame was that the replay you suggest stating the ball hit the ground was never shown.

Except that it was. You people who believe it was a catch are basically regurgitating what the awful play by play guys said (or even worse Mike Carey).

It was clear as day from the replay that the ball hit the ground and moved. See the above gif.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Originally posted by KajunNiner:

Mike Carey explained why it should have been a catch.
Nose of the ball can touch the ground during a catch as long as the player controls it after. The other camera angle shows it never touches the ground when he rolls over. Of course the next play was a sack, strip, fumble touchdown. lol

Cotchery also should have caught it clean. Dude had like 4 drops in the game.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
I like Pat Kirwan's idea.

Have like 10 main officials be full time. Those guys work year round and are responsible for training their teams.

Move reviews in the booth to a head official. No more of this going over to the photo booth lol.
Would save prob 15 min per game.
No.. the league cant afford full time pro refs they'll have to raise ticket and beer prices
  • MFWIC
  • Veteran
There are many officials refereeing the game, as always cost then maybe a factor. Though revenue in the NFL would suggest otherwise on why they are no pro refs.

So why not start with just the main referee full time pro? That's not much in costs, but sure as s**t would improve the quality of referees.

Also Give some incentive to the amatuer supporting refs to work hard on gettin/ making good calls so they also can get offered a pro referree contract, conversely if the pro referee makes bad calls consistantly then guess what ? he gets cut put down the roster to amateur and one of the other guys gets his shot.

Avenue to advance, Incentives and penalties on f**k ups a sure fire way to improve referee calls.
[ Edited by MFWIC on Feb 10, 2016 at 1:13 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone