Update on Marcus lattimore

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • titan
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JustinNiner:
Originally posted by Constantine:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by BleedsRedNGold:
Well, we got Mike Davis who is probably just as good as a healthy Lattimore.

Yeah, fortunately we never "needed" him and we've clearly moved on. So no harm done and a lot of good came out of it for a good man.

Davis looks to be a good hard rusher

he does. If you watch his highlights, a lot of his big plays came on catching the ball out of the backfield. That alone has me excited.

Lol!!! Davis is a good rusher, but not even close on a healthy Lattimore. Lattimore was ready to be next big thing in the NFL before he blew out his knees.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by KRS-1:
Originally posted by susweel:
most teams had this dude completely removed from their draft boards but our idiot GM takes him in the 4th. Probably could have had him in the 7th or even as an undrafted free agent. You dont gamble with a 4th round pick on a guy who's knee was pointing the other way.

MOST ? Do you even have a source that proves most teams did that ?

Knee pointing the other way ? Were you privvy to his medical check and re check ? Did you speak with any doctors on this matter ?

Your use of probably could have got him in the 7th in this case is just BS for "maybe but I don't really know what other teams were thinking so I'll throw s**t at the wall and hope it stirs the pot".

I'd venture to bet you never even watched a SC game when he was in college. We had 13 picks, spending a 4th round flyer on guy who was pre injury arguably the best RB in college football was worthy of a risk given the advances in medicine and the ability to help players come back from such serious injuries. Gore and McGahee overcame very serious injuries...you win some you lose some but if you don't play the game you cannot win.

Reality is, you have no clue as to whether he was worth a risk or not, you just wanna be Captain Hindsight who stirs the pot. You were not complaining in the Lattimore thread on draft day when we took him, why is that ?

Injuries: This is clearly the biggest concern. Lattimore was unable to complete any of his three seasons uninjured at South Carolina. Two major knee surgeries caused many teams to remove Lattimore from their draft boards all together. The biggest question is: Will Lattimore ever be able to return to the level of dominance he displayed in 2010?

http://www.ninersnation.com/2013/5/4/4298102/49ers-draft-picks-2013-marcus-lattimore-scouting-report
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
at least baalke learned his lesson about drafting dudes with major injuries.
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
at least baalke learned his lesson about drafting dudes with major injuries.

Never liked it from the beggining. Still don't.
First off that draft pick was worth the gamble. The best rb in college and a sure top 10-15 pick if not higher in the fourth round. There have been plenty of success stories with devistating injuries before, even though this one was bad.

Draft experts were praising the niners and Balke for taking the gamble and the draft itself. The niners were viewed as one of the top drafting teams and everyone gave Balke and the niners a pass bc we could take gambles and luxury picks bc we did in fact have the best and deepest roster.

I don't like lattimores tone bc it's almost like he's taunting or rubbing it in NOW when he could of let the coaches know earlier and we would of bad an injury settlement or cut him or had him retire earlier. This was clearly to get a paycheck and that is deceptive. Even if many of us would of done the same it's still a dick thing to say now.
  • JMC52
  • Veteran
I always like underdog stories, im glad we drafted him. That's why its called a gamble, good luck to Marcus.
By the sound of things I makes me wonder if perhaps he just lost his passion for the game.
Originally posted by NJNiner:
By the sound of things I makes me wonder if perhaps he just lost his passion for the game.

There is no other way to see...it an interview with a broken man
  • evil
  • Veteran
Injuries: This is clearly the biggest concern. Lattimore was unable to complete any of his three seasons uninjured at South Carolina. Two major knee surgeries caused many teams to remove Lattimore from their draft boards all together. The biggest question is: Will Lattimore ever be able to return to the level of dominance he displayed in 2010?

http://www.ninersnation.com/2013/5/4/4298102/49ers-draft-picks-2013-marcus-lattimore-scouting-report

There is a difference between many and most. And the claim that many did is an unfounded claim....could have been a load of teams blowing smoke hoping to snag him themselves.

All that aside, that still does not change the fact that you were not complaining about "epically wasting a pick" at the time we took him. But you want to now, in hindsight...2 years after the fact.

There is a difference between many and most. And the claim that many did is an unfounded claim....could have been a load of teams blowing smoke hoping to snag him themselves.

All that aside, that still does not change the fact that you were not complaining about "epically wasting a pick" at the time we took him. But you want to now, in hindsight...2 years after the fact.

Very true. I bet a lot of GMS would of spent a fifth which is basically what our comp pick was (after the 32 picks in the fourth) or 6th for the best rb in the draft and a top 10 prospect before the injury. I'm glad Balke took the gamble and most Niner fans were too. Also, most draft analysts were praising the niners for taking that chance as well FYI.

• evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by elguapo:
Very true. I bet a lot of GMS would of spent a fifth which is basically what our comp pick was (after the 32 picks in the fourth) or 6th for the best rb in the draft and a top 10 prospect before the injury. I'm glad Balke took the gamble and most Niner fans were too. Also, most draft analysts were praising the niners for taking that chance as well FYI.

Agreed. We had an abundance of picks, a deep roster and no pressured need for immediate contributions from him. We were a perfect situation for him to land in.
Failing with class
Originally posted by elguapo:

Agreed. We had an abundance of picks, a deep roster and no pressured need for immediate contributions from him. We were a perfect situation for him to land in.

This.
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
Originally posted by NorthBay49er:
I liked Lattimore. I was happy we picked him there in the 4th (even though i wanted Knile Davis BAD).

But f**k this guy. His mind wasn't tough enough to hack it, so he threw in the towel. He likely threw in the towel before being drafted, but talked the talk to collect a pay check. I cant blame him, most people cant hack it in the NFL. BUT instead of showing gratitude to the team that gave you a shot, you come out with this nonsense?

I don't recall this BS coming out of his mouth while he was collecting a pay check and stating he was after Gores job...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000360196/article/niners-marcus-lattimore-has-eyes-on-frank-gores-job

f**k this guy.

I kind of share this sentiment but not really at the same time
He seems pissed that we used a "high" draft pick on him. I think he was mentally done from the gate.
If we had gotten him in the 7th round it would be less of a loss for us and the expectations from other would have been far less.
The fact that we used a 4th round pick on him seems to dwell heavy on his mind.

I don't buy that at all.

He is basically trying to rewrite history and downplay his mental weakness by placing the focus of him not being able to recover and play in the nfl on his draft position and he is trying to justify his failure in the NFL by basically saying he knew he would be a failure from day one and shouldn't have been drafted to begin with. No Marcus, you failed in the NFL for many reasons...none of them had anything to do with the 49ers or where they drafted you. Go back and read any article prior to his last idiotic comments and you will see his position and tone are completed flipped. If your not able to play in the NFL, and you believe that in your head, you don't enter the f**king draft. You don't smile in front of the media and say your going after Frank Gores job so you can make the headlines that day.

This a*****e sat in that locker room for several years with these players and coaches, smiling, saying all the right things, so he could collect a paycheck that he knew his legs could not cash. He threw in the towel from day one, but instead of actually throwing it in, he rope a doped around the f**king ring that is the media, and said all the right things to put out the perception that he was doing everything he could to recover and he was on the right track to actually recovering and playing in the NFL. He Lied to all of our faces, and to everyone's face in the locker room and front office. f**k that guy.

from what i understand the niners only had to pay him his $300k signing bonus and never paid him a penny of his 2013 and 2014 salary

Since Lattimore's injury did not happen while playing in the NFL, the 49ers were able to place the running back on the non-football injury list for the 2013 and 2014 seasons. This is important because it meant the 49ers were only obligated to pay Lattimore his $301,000 signing bonus and did not have to pay his $405,000 salary last year or his $420,000 salary this year.Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/marcus-lattimore-retires-nfl-2014-11#ixzz3fhiRydPo

So i dont know why you guys are talking/venting about him lying to collect a paycheck when he only got one the day he signed and $0 after wards.

It was a dumb pick (in general), but we could afford it
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
Originally posted by NorthBay49er:
I liked Lattimore. I was happy we picked him there in the 4th (even though i wanted Knile Davis BAD).

But f**k this guy. His mind wasn't tough enough to hack it, so he threw in the towel. He likely threw in the towel before being drafted, but talked the talk to collect a pay check. I cant blame him, most people cant hack it in the NFL. BUT instead of showing gratitude to the team that gave you a shot, you come out with this nonsense?

I don't recall this BS coming out of his mouth while he was collecting a pay check and stating he was after Gores job...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000360196/article/niners-marcus-lattimore-has-eyes-on-frank-gores-job

f**k this guy.

I kind of share this sentiment but not really at the same time
He seems pissed that we used a "high" draft pick on him. I think he was mentally done from the gate.
If we had gotten him in the 7th round it would be less of a loss for us and the expectations from other would have been far less.
The fact that we used a 4th round pick on him seems to dwell heavy on his mind.

I don't buy that at all.

He is basically trying to rewrite history and downplay his mental weakness by placing the focus of him not being able to recover and play in the nfl on his draft position and he is trying to justify his failure in the NFL by basically saying he knew he would be a failure from day one and shouldn't have been drafted to begin with. No Marcus, you failed in the NFL for many reasons...none of them had anything to do with the 49ers or where they drafted you. Go back and read any article prior to his last idiotic comments and you will see his position and tone are completed flipped. If your not able to play in the NFL, and you believe that in your head, you don't enter the f**king draft. You don't smile in front of the media and say your going after Frank Gores job so you can make the headlines that day.

This a*****e sat in that locker room for several years with these players and coaches, smiling, saying all the right things, so he could collect a paycheck that he knew his legs could not cash. He threw in the towel from day one, but instead of actually throwing it in, he rope a doped around the f**king ring that is the media, and said all the right things to put out the perception that he was doing everything he could to recover and he was on the right track to actually recovering and playing in the NFL. He Lied to all of our faces, and to everyone's face in the locker room and front office. f**k that guy.

from what i understand the niners only had to pay him his $300k signing bonus and never paid him a penny of his 2013 and 2014 salary

Since Lattimore's injury did not happen while playing in the NFL, the 49ers were able to place the running back on the non-football injury list for the 2013 and 2014 seasons. This is important because it meant the 49ers were only obligated to pay Lattimore his $301,000 signing bonus and did not have to pay his $405,000 salary last year or his $420,000 salary this year.Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/marcus-lattimore-retires-nfl-2014-11#ixzz3fhiRydPo

So i dont know why you guys are talking/venting about him lying to collect a paycheck when he only got one the day he signed and $0 after wards.

It was a dumb pick (in general), but we could afford it

I doesnt matter if he was paid 5k. $300k is not pocket change, but that's besides the point, and totally dances around the fact that he is tool that lied continuously while he was here, and now he wants to go on record and talk s**t about the team that gave him a chance. All the while expecting us to forget all his well documented interviews with him saying, and portraying, a polar opposite view of his position with the team than he is now trying to portray.

After Frank Gores job my ass.
Share 49ersWebzone