LISTEN: 49ers Master The Later Rounds Of The Draft →

There are 165 users in the forums

The Book of Eli Harold is closed!

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • titan
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Lots of people were high on Harold when he was drafted. Does anyone think he has the ability to start, long term, based on what he has shown in his first two years?

No. If he does start that means our D is still bottom feeders in the league and he is what we have for now.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by SmokeCrabtrees:
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Lots of people were high on Harold when he was drafted. Does anyone think he has the ability to start, long term, based on what he has shown in his first two years?

Saleh already noted he'd be in competition at the SAM which, my guestimate, means he'll be on the field 30% in base running downs up at the LOS, stuffing the run, setting the edge and with his speed, covering some TE's and RB's from time to time...if he doesn't amp up his edge rushing (now, on the left side of the line), an edge rusher like Dekota Watson will steal up to 70% of his snaps in nickel.

So you think when season kicks off Watson takes down the left DE spot in pass downs?

Left of the DE position...out wide to edge rush (6-9T spots). Whoever proves to be the best edge rusher of Harold, Brooks or Watson, will get the most snaps and edge rush opportunities from that "big" or "strong" side.

I know we're talking about Watson in two threads now, are you saying one of Brooks/Harold/Watson will be on the field along with 4 DL in nickel?

Yes and No. Both your edge rushers would be in for nickel - pass rush down. Lynch on one side at Elephant and whomever is your second best edge rusher (Brooks, Harold or Watson) at SAM/DE (based on current personnel).

Watson (6-9T) --- Buckner (slides inside) --- Blair --- Lynch (6-9T)

Bowman --- Smith

Tartt/Ray-Ray/Reid (Box SS)

Robinson --- Ward --- Williams (Extra DB) --- Redmond

PS: There are a lot of different combos you can use for nickel.

Right. Gotcha and agree with all you said I just read your verbiage wrong. Of course he has a chance to be a 3 down backer but I don't think he wins either the SAM in base nor the LDE/OR 1 of the LB spots in nickel.

Whatd he run out of FSU? Any measureable comparisons?
[ Edited by SmokeCrabtrees on Apr 15, 2017 at 5:17 PM ]
Right. Gotcha and agree with all you said I just read your verbiage wrong. Of course he has a chance to be a 3 down backer but I don't think he wins either the SAM in base nor the LDE/OR 1 of the LB spots in nickel.

Watson is a special teams guy and depth at lb.

The athlete with measurables is Eli Harold. 4.16 shuttle, 35 in vert. Let's hope he finally finds his home at Elephant 🐘 or SAM.

Boom!
This guy going to break out this season or what?
Is this guy making the team?
Originally posted by LottDMontanaO:

Who knows...he has a license to win the SAM and be an edge rusher from the SAM on passing downs. It's up to him.
Originally posted by LottDMontanaO:

Who knows...he has a license to win the SAM and be an edge rusher from the SAM on passing downs. It's up to him.

Agree with this here
  • KPaul
  • Veteran
I remember there being a lot of hype with this guy when he was picked. All the reports at the time of the pick were about how much of a bargain he was.

Its time to sink or swim. I hope the switch to a 4-3 is good for him.
This is from Saleh's presser at the start of April:

So when looking at the SAM linebacker and what they're asked to do on a day-to-day basis, 70-percent of the game their hand will be in the ground. So, we're looking for more of an edge rusher as opposed to what it was in years past with a brut SAM linebacker, a [former NFL LB] Bill Romanowski-type. We're trying to move forward from that."

Are there guys already on the roster?
"Oh, yeah. There's plenty here. [LB] Ahmad Brooks, [LB] Eli [Harold]. We just signed [LB] Dekoda Watson. If you were going to paint a picture, that's what they would look like."

So I think he's looking for a guy who can stand up in base, and set the edge; then rush from the DE spot in nickel. Which is exactly what Brooks has done for us for years now. Harold has the skills to take the job from Brooks if he can put it all together. The knock on him in the draft was he was really up and down as a player if I remember correctly.

When are the first proper 11 on 11's? Getting impatient to find out where guys are lining up!
[ Edited by WolfTotem on May 10, 2017 at 2:06 AM ]

Originally posted by WolfTotem:
This is from Saleh's presser at the start of April:

So when looking at the SAM linebacker and what they're asked to do on a day-to-day basis, 70-percent of the game their hand will be in the ground. So, we're looking for more of an edge rusher as opposed to what it was in years past with a brut SAM linebacker, a [former NFL LB] Bill Romanowski-type. We're trying to move forward from that."

Are there guys already on the roster?
"Oh, yeah. There's plenty here. [LB] Ahmad Brooks, [LB] Eli [Harold]. We just signed [LB] Dekoda Watson. If you were going to paint a picture, that's what they would look like."

So I think he's looking for a guy who can stand up in base, and set the edge; then rush from the DE spot in nickel. Which is exactly what Brooks has done for us for years now. Harold has the skills to take the job from Brooks if he can put it all together. The knock on him in the draft was he was really up and down as a player if I remember correctly.

When are the first proper 11 on 11's? Getting impatient to find out where guys are lining up!

Yeah there hasn't been a lot of news... I don't know who wins the job and really don't care at this point. I'd rather it be Eli which would allow us to trade Brooks this year or let him finish out the contract. My money is on Ahmad to be honest.

http://www.ninersnation.com/2017/4/3/15165336/49ers-offseason-workout-schedule-2017-full-list-of-dates

My guess is we'll hear more news when ACTUAL OTAs start which is May 22nd.

http://www.ninersnation.com/2017/4/3/15165336/49ers-offseason-workout-schedule-2017-full-list-of-dates
I think he gets cut
I doubt he gets cut. He's cheap, and if he's relegated to backup sam/edge rusher, you can do a lot worse than Eli.
Originally posted by Heroism:
I doubt he gets cut. He's cheap, and if he's relegated to backup sam/edge rusher, you can do a lot worse than Eli.

Think that would of meant we would of took a pass rusher higher. Brooks and Lynch will be FAs, I think this new staff will put Harold in a good position. We'll see if he capitalizes on it.
Originally posted by Heroism:

He will have to out hustle a bunch of rookies. No one is safe, and everyone has to hustle, and show why they deserve a roster spot. Eli needs to show he has improved, and is improving, or some one else who out hustles him will take is place. Eli doesn't hustle his ass off, he get traded for conditional late round pick, or cut out right.
Share 49ersWebzone