What pff say

They don't like him.

He has a 46.8 rating good for the 63rd overall LB
Originally posted by SteveYoung:
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
What pff say

They don't like him.

Most of our DL will have these overall grades because, they are solely focused on run defense on early downs and PFF grades pass rush too.
Originally posted by Heroism:
Originally posted by 9moon:
IF this guy can't rush the passer, then we don't need him...

The SAM barely rushes the passer, tho. That role is almost entirely run/pass defense oriented. Stay home, set the edge, and defend the flat are the primary responsibilities, and I think Eli has done a fine job.

like thl said, can't have someone that sucks ass, but there are 10 other defensive positions I'd rather have a playmaker at.

Yeah, I'd agree with Saleh here...the SAM is probably 3rd or 4th on the edge rush list behind LEO, 3T and BE.

When you drafted him (Pita) you were thinking LEO. Has that changed a little bit or you just want that versatility to be able to play both sides?

"He's a guy that I would see versatility wise. For us, we still envision the SAM being able to be cross trained as an extra LEO, as your third, fourth Leo. Our vision of him being an edge rusher and being able to get after the passer has not changed. We still think he can do that. For him to reach another level it's going to come from strength."
Originally posted by SteveYoung:
They don't like him.

He sucks
The book will be closed after tomorrow. He gone!
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Keep him as a backup but don't consider him the starter for 18'.
Originally posted by StubbyNBY:

I don't expect Eli to go anywhere. He's been solid at his job and is only 23 years old. The team also seems to be pretty high on him.

People keep evaluating him as a pass rusher, but he's essentially on off-ball LB that plays on the LOS in this scheme. Rarely is he asked to rush the QB.
[ Edited by Heroism on Dec 30, 2017 at 2:18 PM ]
Originally posted by Heroism:
Originally posted by StubbyNBY:

I don't expect Eli to go anywhere. He's been solid at his job and is only 23 years old. The team also seems to be pretty high on him.

People keep judging him as a pass rusher, but he's essentially on off-ball LB that plays on the LOS in this scheme. Rarely is he asked to rush the QB.

This and hes only gonna make 720k next year.

No brainer IMO.
Saleh says he's done his job very well and stats don't tell the story of Eli's position at all. But pff grades are based off stats, and because of that people on here think he sucks and should be gone.

Should we improve at his position? Of course, we should improve every position. But Eli is going nowhere. Said it a bunch of times already but he's only 3 months older than foster. That's nuts.

Reading comments and holy s**t, why do people hate him so much? You'd think he f**ked up and lost a super bowl for us. Really insulting s**t, nobody would feel bad if he came across this thread online?

Also

"With LB Eli Harold and the position he plays at SAM, is that a position just in general that isn't going to get a bunch of tackles and isn't going to show up in the stat sheet just because his job is to set the edge and allow other guys to make plays? Is that how you would classify his position particularly in base situations?"

Saleh: "He might not show up on the stat sheet, but what Eli's been able to do run-game wise, he's one of the better edge setters I've ever been around from a SAM linebacker standpoint. He does provide an edge rush that forces teams to go five-O protection on us. They can't just put a back on him. If they did it'd be a joke in my mind. He does create one-on-ones just by where he's aligned and the amount of times that we've been able to blitz him. Stat-sheet wise, I'm not a big stat guy in the fact that if you just watch the tape you'll see Eli has improved immensely over the course of the year, even since a year ago, and the guy is only 23 years old so he's got a lot of room to grow also. I'll never look at stats. I don't want to pigeonhole. If we did, people would think Buck's not a very good football player because he has whatever amount of sacks. But, if you watch tape and you really study him you'd understand that he's one of our better players. Same thing for Eli. If you watch his tape you'd see where he's very, very strong. There's nothing that he does that hurts this defense"
Originally posted by GhostOfBaalke:
Reading comments and holy s**t, why do people hate him so much? You'd think he f**ked up and lost a super bowl for us. Really insulting s**t, nobody would feel bad if he came across this thread online?

Also

"With LB Eli Harold and the position he plays at SAM, is that a position just in general that isn't going to get a bunch of tackles and isn't going to show up in the stat sheet just because his job is to set the edge and allow other guys to make plays? Is that how you would classify his position particularly in base situations?"

Saleh: "He might not show up on the stat sheet, but what Eli's been able to do run-game wise, he's one of the better edge setters I've ever been around from a SAM linebacker standpoint. He does provide an edge rush that forces teams to go five-O protection on us. They can't just put a back on him. If they did it'd be a joke in my mind. He does create one-on-ones just by where he's aligned and the amount of times that we've been able to blitz him. Stat-sheet wise, I'm not a big stat guy in the fact that if you just watch the tape you'll see Eli has improved immensely over the course of the year, even since a year ago, and the guy is only 23 years old so he's got a lot of room to grow also. I'll never look at stats. I don't want to pigeonhole. If we did, people would think Buck's not a very good football player because he has whatever amount of sacks. But, if you watch tape and you really study him you'd understand that he's one of our better players. Same thing for Eli. If you watch his tape you'd see where he's very, very strong. There's nothing that he does that hurts this defense"

I have a feeling that this coach would've praised Corey Lemonhead too.
I miss the old days( actually just 4 yrs ago lol) when players in the front 7 actually got sacks,FF's and qb hits. This is a passing league so Saleh needs to stop with the setting the edge crap. Whenever our lineman or olb's suck at russhing the passer we have to hear... "Reporters and fans don't realize that he's one helluva run stuffer!"

I want to hear Saleh getting pissed about the lack of sacks!!
This guy needs to be upgraded. Yall tripping
Originally posted by NCommand:
"He's a guy that I would see versatility wise. For us, we still envision the SAM being able to be cross trained as an extra LEO, as your third, fourth Leo. Our vision of him being an edge rusher and being able to get after the passer has not changed. We still think he can do that. For him to reach another level it's going to come from strength."

IMO more like coordination. He already had the physical gifts in college, just never knew how to put it all together.
He needs to be upgraded. He lacks the desired pass rushing skills. Ironically, he was drafted as a pass rusher.

Pass rushers can learn to set the edge. Learning to pass rusher rarely happens. Hopefully we can find someone in the draft to upgrade SAM. Without a real LEO, we could really use some added pressure.
Share 49ersWebzone