Rep the Red & Gold: Shop 49ers Gear →

There are 451 users in the forums

The Jaquiski "Pop" Tartt Gonna Rip Your Face Off Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by thl408:
Here's a sub package that Tartt may be a part of although this is with 5 CBs and 2 safeties

NO: 0rb/2te/3wr
49ers: 7 DBs (5 CBs, 2 safeties) playing Cover 6 (or Cover 7, not sure). Cover 7 is pattern matching 3v2 on the weakside (Reid) and 4v3 on the strongside (Bethea). Graham is at the top of the screen, across from Culliver.

3rd & 8


Knowing he has help over the top from Reid, Cully gets into a trail position so that he can cover any inward breaking route, which is exactly what Graham (#80) will run on this play.




If it's an obvious passing down and distance, Tartt can play a three safety look to help cover RBs and TEs. That's an area he may be better at than Wilhoite. I'm thinking Tartt can allow Mangini to play a dime defense (4dl, 1lb, 6db) against a 3 WR set (not 4). This puts a better pass defender on the field while sacrificing run defense. Other than that, I don't see how he'll get defensive snaps as a rookie (barring injury).

Great post. Love these visuals and explanations.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Um. Yeah. He's going to force Goodell to make up new rules...again.

From what I've seen he's not a head hunter nor does he hit after the whistle...very different than Goldson. He is just a load when he runs into people.

But it's "violent" and the NFL doesn't want that...automatic 15 yard penalty every time.
Is Tartt only capable of coming in on Dime defense? He can't play Nickel LB?
Originally posted by daragon:
Is Tartt only capable of coming in on Dime defense? He can't play Nickel LB?

its way too early to know that, only time will tell
  • thl408
  • Moderator
  • Posts: 33,332
Originally posted by daragon:
Is Tartt only capable of coming in on Dime defense? He can't play Nickel LB?

Nickel package is 5 Defensive backs. Dime is 6 DBs. If Taart comes in as a 'nickel LB' then it may as well be called a Dime package. I'm not sure if he can cover NFL WRs. I doubt it at 220 pounds. He may have been the best on the field at Samford but we know small school competition doesn't compare to the NFL.

I don't see him coming in as the 5th DB in nickel versus a 3 WR set because that means he'll be covering a WR (assuming Reid/Bethea are safeties). I do see him possibly coming as the 6th DB (dime) versus a 3WR set and playing a "LB" role as someone that covers the RB or TE. This is where he'd play in the box and be tested as teams may see this and try to run against it - offense still has 1rb,1te to make 6 blockers versus 6 in the box (4dl, Bow, Tartt). If he only comes in on obvious passing downs, then his run defense isn't a problem.
Originally posted by thl408:
Nickel package is 5 Defensive backs. Dime is 6 DBs. If Taart comes in as a 'nickel LB' then it may as well be called a Dime package. I'm not sure if he can cover NFL WRs. I doubt it at 220 pounds. He may have been the best on the field at Samford but we know small school competition doesn't compare to the NFL.

I don't see him coming in as the 5th DB in nickel versus a 3 WR set because that means he'll be covering a WR (assuming Reid/Bethea are safeties). I do see him possibly coming as the 6th DB (dime) versus a 3WR set and playing a "LB" role as someone that covers the RB or TE. This is where he'd play in the box and be tested as teams may see this and try to run against it - offense still has 1rb,1te to make 6 blockers versus 6 in the box (4dl, Bow, Tartt). If he only comes in on obvious passing downs, then his run defense isn't a problem.

Mangini may use more specific matchups than pervious coaches. If he does I could see Ward, Tartt and young CBs used against specific offensive sets. And I doubt it will be as predictable as Fangio was...though I'm not knocking his success. I see the addition of Tartt and Harold as a sign of more flexibility overall. The key, if this happens, is getting transitions smoothed out. Guys will need to know their units...something that was sometimes lacking in the recent past.

One thing I keep reading about almost every pick is how intelligent they are...love that! Physical but also football smart means we can continue to see the stable, steady defense that will be top five. Throw in the high character of most of the picks and I'm pretty enthused about the future.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Um. Yeah. He's going to force Goodell to make up new rules...again.

From what I've seen he's not a head hunter nor does he hit after the whistle...very different than Goldson. He is just a load when he runs into people.

But it's "violent" and the NFL doesn't want that...automatic 15 yard penalty every time.

Darn...forgot about that! Maybe Tartt will learn how to "tackle" with his feminine side!
I am convinced that the overreaction of the pick was because of the name.
  • thl408
  • Moderator
  • Posts: 33,332
Originally posted by gold49digger:
I am convinced that the overreaction of the pick was because of the name.
My overreaction was because of the position (safety). Spending high capital on a position that presumably already had two starters for the foreseeable future (Reid/Ward) was perplexing. If Ward stays at CB, then the pick makes sense. If Reid leaves the game due to concussions, then the pick also makes sense. Other than that, if Tartt is just used in sub packages against specific matchups, that's high draft capital for a player that won't see the field much.


Originally posted by ModestoNiner33:
When I watch this kids videos the thing I notice the most is his acceleration. He f**king flies to the ball.
A lot of this.
I really like this pick. He has all the physical tools to become truly elite. Fantastic speed and acceleration, looks good in coverage can approve in this though, and he can hit like a truck. I think signals the end of ward as a starter at safety. I think wards best fit is at corner anyways, he is perfect size for a corner and while he did get burned he is still pretty good in coverage.
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 3,041
Originally posted by philosoraptor:
I really like this pick. He has all the physical tools to become truly elite. Fantastic speed and acceleration, looks good in coverage can approve in this though, and he can hit like a truck. I think signals the end of ward as a starter at safety. I think wards best fit is at corner anyways, he is perfect size for a corner and while he did get burned he is still pretty good in coverage.

The problem with ward is that, while he is a very willing defender, his athleticism for the corner position is not great--not even close. Average corner ability at best. Hes really just a talented, undersized safety; and thats the problem i had with baalke drafting him into a versatile role--you have have great corner athleticism in order to be a very good starter.
Originally posted by xcfan:
The problem with ward is that, while he is a very willing defender, his athleticism for the corner position is not great-

Which I think is kind of bogus. The guy ran step for step when defending Dri Archer in college, his measurables project out to above average for the corner position. He ran a 4.45 40 at his pro day and had a 38 inch vertical, I certainly wouldn't call his athleticism "average." We haven't even seen him fully healthy as a 49er yet.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by xcfan:
The problem with ward is that, while he is a very willing defender, his athleticism for the corner position is not great-

Which I think is kind of bogus. The guy ran step for step when defending Dri Archer in college, his measurables project out to above average for the corner position. He ran a 4.45 40 at his pro day and had a 38 inch vertical, I certainly wouldn't call his athleticism "average." We haven't even seen him fully healthy as a 49er yet.

One of the reasons I think they went S rather than CB in the draft...Ward can start alongside Brock and Johnson but are any of the CBs who could start at SS? No.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by xcfan:
The problem with ward is that, while he is a very willing defender, his athleticism for the corner position is not great-

Which I think is kind of bogus. The guy ran step for step when defending Dri Archer in college, his measurables project out to above average for the corner position. He ran a 4.45 40 at his pro day and had a 38 inch vertical, I certainly wouldn't call his athleticism "average." We haven't even seen him fully healthy as a 49er yet.

One of the reasons I think they went S rather than CB in the draft...Ward can start alongside Brock and Johnson but are any of the CBs who could start at SS? No.

Great point. And aside from the injury (which s/n be minimized), I wasn't a big fan of how we used him in the slot. His biggest strength at FS is being able to see the field, anticipate and break on the ball...he's a playmaker this way. In Fangio's defense, he was in trail-mode with his back to the QB often times b/c of his assignments and coaching. That really works against his strength. If Mangini can find a better design even while locking down the slot, that would be ideal...get back to being the playmaker we originally drafted him to be.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Great point. And aside from the injury (which s/n be minimized), I wasn't a big fan of how we used him in the slot. His biggest strength at FS is being able to see the field, anticipate and break on the ball...he's a playmaker this way. In Fangio's defense, he was in trail-mode with his back to the QB often times b/c of his assignments and coaching. That really works against his strength. If Mangini can find a better design even while locking down the slot, that would be ideal...get back to being the playmaker we originally drafted him to be.

True...when I watched Ward and thought he was ackward it was always trailing and late. That's partly from inexperience but also not his strength. With Bethea, Reid, Ward and Tartt they may have the best safety group in the NFL. At least that is my (ever optimistic) hope!
Open Menu Search Share 49ersWebzone