LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 241 users in the forums

Jacksonville Jaguar Arik Armstead-DT Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Good luck to an always injured player. But he is a heck of a run stopper when healthy. Should have kept Buckner.
[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Mar 15, 2024 at 9:58 AM ]
Big money contract for a lineman who cannot stay healthy. I wonder what the true details are.
Originally posted by communist:
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by the_dynasty:
The re-structure last year was pretty idiotic. It reeked of Dee Ford restructure then, and it was proven to be a very dumb move this year....

I know they wanted to create room to go all in, but I would've ate as much of his contract as possible in 2023 and parted ways after 2024. I can totally see a team signing him to a significant deal, even as an 11 year vet going into 2025 (see Trent Baalke).
you have written before the jaguars signed him?

Referring to us after the last restructure. I didn't see him as an extension candidate so the restructure wasn't a great idea.
Originally posted by billbird2111:
Big money contract for a lineman who cannot stay healthy. I wonder what the true details are.

This
Both Juice and Kittle are willing to restructure but this guy, who is having surgery this offseason, wouldn't budge after that ridiculous contract we gave him that he massively underperformed on.
  • dj43
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Both Juice and Kittle are willing to restructure but this guy, who is having surgery this offseason, wouldn't budge after that ridiculous contract we gave him that he massively underperformed on.

That's not what I recall from reports.

I recall that they were in negotiations and AA was not willing to go as low as the 49ers wanted him to go. We will never know what the number was, but to say he "massively underperformed" is inaccurate. He was ranked in the top 15 Interior Defenders the past two seasons. Even in 2023, when he was playing with a bum knee and foot problems in the game he was effective.

I believe the Jags over paid him. I say that not because I don't believe he has performed on a level to justify what he received, but because I don't think his plantar fasciitis problems will ever go away. He will be forced to retire before he plays out his contract.
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:

That's not what I recall from reports.

I recall that they were in negotiations and AA was not willing to go as low as the 49ers wanted him to go. We will never know what the number was, but to say he "massively underperformed" is inaccurate. He was ranked in the top 15 Interior Defenders the past two seasons. Even in 2023, when he was playing with a bum knee and foot problems in the game he was effective.

I believe the Jags over paid him. I say that not because I don't believe he has performed on a level to justify what he received, but because I don't think his plantar fasciitis problems will ever go away. He will be forced to retire before he plays out his contract.

AA has been a great Niner and loved his podcast. I also wish him well remember when he was in Sacramento and the Oregon. Your right though, his foot is going to cause early retirement.
Sorry to see him go, but that cap hit tho. Good luck!

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Disrespected? Dude is always injured, of course they're gonna ask you to take a pay cut and low ball you.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Disrespected? Dude is always injured, of course they're gonna ask you to take a pay cut and low ball you.

Yep. He has been paid megabucks over the years. They were trying to keep him here but the rate had to be adjusted. This is not disrespect.

Right. Disrespected? Maybe the 49ers felt disrespected that AA couldn't stay healthy and earn his money on the field.

I know players need to get theirs, because of the limited life span of an NFL career, but be realistic.

It sucks, but they cut you because the cost-benefit analysis just didn't work for the 49ers.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by English:

Yep. He has been paid megabucks over the years. They were trying to keep him here but the rate had to be adjusted. This is not disrespect.

He of all people should know that this is a business regardless if the team had a huge amount of cap space or it's back against the wall in cap space. Any team would ask any player to take a pay cut if he's been injured the past two seasons. I would've taken his money and gave it to Christian Wilkins.
its a business. They couldnt keep paying you as one of the best players on the team when you arent. We have a salary cap and holes that need to be filled. Get over it AA.
Share 49ersWebzone