LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 525 users in the forums

Jacksonville Jaguar Arik Armstead-DT Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Beast

I don't see us not making a real offer but some other team
May significantly outbid. If he knows Buckner is staying he may take the deal? Team seems close.
Rosenthal has Armstead listed in the 'just missed' group of the top 25 available free agents this year. I'm still wondering if losing Ford mid-season will actually help bring down Armstead's price tag and make him more affordable since the sack production for he, Buckner, and Bosa all went down in that window.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001096883/article/top-25-nfl-free-agents-of-2020-no-shortage-of-intriguing-qbs?itm_source=parsely-api?icampaign=trendingNews
I can't believe how good this dude has gotten. I was pissed when we drafted him. He's become a huge part of this line though with his versatility to play inside or out. He also added more counter moves to his pass rushing arsenal past just winning with a bull rush.

I didn't think the team would keep him months ago but I can't really see them letting him leave now. He's too important to the dline with his ability to play great run defense either inside or the edge. Now all of a sudden he's a pass rushing monster too. I think the team will find away to make it happen. If more cap knowledgeable people than myself say it's a way to pay him, Buck, and Kittle than that's good enough for me.

Lynch said he and Kyle envisioned building a super bowl caliber dline as one of their top priorities when they both got here. I'd say job accomplished. I don't see them letting it fall apart now.
[ Edited by Willisfn4life on Jan 21, 2020 at 10:38 AM ]
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Willisfn4life:
I can't believe how good this dude has gotten. I was pissed when we drafted him. He's become a huge part of this line though with his versatility to play inside or out. He also added more counter moves to his pass rushing arsenal past just winning with a bull rush.

I didn't think the team would keep him months ago but I can't really see them letting him leave now. I think the team will find away to make it happen. If more cap knowledgeable people than myself say it's a way to pay him, Buck, and Kittle than that's good enough for me.
We have 5 1st rounders on the DLine. The issue we have comes in the form of Juice, E.Sanders. E.Moseley, R.Blair, J.Ward, M.Brieda, K.Bourne, N.Mullens, D.Brunskill, B.Garland all F/A's this offseason. Franchise tag AA and you will lose a bunch of these guys. I doubt he gives us a discount as F/A will pay more.
Originally posted by jcs:

I didn't think the team would keep him months ago but I can't really see them letting him leave now. I think the team will find away to make it happen. If more cap knowledgeable people than myself say it's a way to pay him, Buck, and Kittle than that's good enough for me.
We have 5 1st rounders on the DLine. The issue we have comes in the form of Juice, E.Sanders. E.Moseley, R.Blair, J.Ward, M.Brieda, K.Bourne, N.Mullens, D.Brunskill, B.Garland all F/A's this offseason. Franchise tag AA and you will lose a bunch of these guys. I doubt he gives us a discount as F/A will pay more.

That 5 number is skewed because I think we both know Solomon won't be here long term. With that said Armstead is very important to this defense. He can run defend inside or seal the edge, he can pass rush from anywhere. None of the others on the line have shown that they can do what he does from a versatility standpoint.

There have been quite a few people I've seen that have reported a decent amount of cap space can be opened up this off season with some restructures and cuts. Looking at some of the obvious cuts on spotrac that seems to be true.

We may not keep everyone but it looks like we can still keep a large array of players even with paying Armstead.
[ Edited by Willisfn4life on Jan 21, 2020 at 10:46 AM ]

That 5 number is skewed because I think we both know Solomon won't be here long term. With that said Armstead is very important to this defense. He can run defend inside or seal the edge, he can pass rush from anywhere. None of the others on the line have shown that they can do what he does from a versatility standpoint.

There have been quite a few people I've seen that have reported a decent amount of cap space can be opened up this off season with some restructures and cuts. Looking at some of the obvious cuts on spotrac that seems to be true.

We may not keep everyone but it looks like we can still keep a large array of players even with paying Armstead.

From what I understand, at the end of the third year of a rookie contract, it can be re-negotiated. Would Thomas be willing to be extended at a reduced rate? That could help the cap space and possibly bring back Armstead.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Niners_D:
From what I understand, at the end of the third year of a rookie contract, it can be re-negotiated. Would Thomas be willing to be extended at a reduced rate? That could help the cap space and possibly bring back Armstead.

It makes zero sense for him to do that unless there's more guaranteed money made available to him. And he's one year away from UFA.

2020 is very likely to be the last year in his career making big money.
  • jcs
  • Veteran

Who's to say solly won't eventually develop, it took AA 5 seasons to finally show up
[ Edited by jcs on Jan 21, 2020 at 11:19 AM ]

Who's to say solly won't eventually develop, it took AA 5 seasons to finally show up

Armstead was also often injured his first few seasons. He missed 18 games between year 2 and 3. There were camp reports coming out in his second year of him being the star of the defense and then he got injured and it never materialized that season before he went on IR the second half of the season. Last year he was already an above average run defender. Dude has been a linchpin in this defense because of all the things he can do. You don't let people like that go in hopes that a former 1st round pick might develop.

Lynch and Kyle got the super bowl caliber defensive line that they themselves said was a high priority of theirs when they got here. I just don't see them letting it split up right now.

On a side note, I am a huge fan of Solomon the man. He and I had very close tragedies a week apart from each other. Dude is all effort and class. He looks to be a solid rotational piece but in no way do I see the team letting an elite linchpin like Armstead go in hopes that Solomon might develop into the same player. You don't let elite pass rushers go in this league.
[ Edited by Willisfn4life on Jan 21, 2020 at 11:50 AM ]
All this talk about will he or won't he...how about Arik Armstead vs. the Kansas City Chiefs tackles and guards. Any thoughts/analysis on this matchup? We clearly aren't going to get anything of substance from anyone on TV.

So tired of this comparison. There are so many reasons why this isnt even close to the same thing.
[ Edited by SteveWallacesHelmet on Jan 21, 2020 at 1:38 PM ]
We might be able to keep AA here next session w/a tag. Our other FAs ain't gonna break the bank, and there's a lot of cap space to be found in extensions and restructures ($5M from T.Coleman alone).

BUT I don't see how we can afford him long term. He's only 26 and just now entering his prime at that position. Someone is gonna throw $100M at this dude.
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:

So tired of this comparison. There are so many reasons why this isnt even close to the same thing.

You can't possibly know how Solly will develop. Fans are WAY too quick with the "bust" label, especially for linemen.
Share 49ersWebzone