LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 229 users in the forums

RB Glenn Winston

Shop 49ers game tickets
PS for this year... already looks better than Hampton. If Lattimore goes to PUP/IR and we keep 4 Smith probably gets the nod. I'd rather keep 3 if Lattimore isnt a go. Hopefully Lattimore can get on the field and quickly make James the #4. Gore, Hyde (these two get majority of work), Lattimore, James.
Originally posted by LZRD_WZRD:
I don't wanna lose this guy now

He at minimum deserves to be on the practice squad over Hampton. Has shown more vision than Hampton ever has.
way better than all of the other hampton's of the world.
I know it was against 3rd-stringers, but Winston = pile mover...and, seems to have pretty good vision to find the holes.
Originally posted by Gore_21:
PS for this year... already looks better than Hampton. If Lattimore goes to PUP/IR and we keep 4 Smith probably gets the nod. I'd rather keep 3 if Lattimore isnt a go. Hopefully Lattimore can get on the field and quickly make James the #4. Gore, Hyde (these two get majority of work), Lattimore, James.

this. although I do want to see Roman/Harbaugh involve LMJ in the offense a bit more & find ways to get him in space.
Originally posted by matt49er:
this. although I do want to see Roman/Harbaugh involve LMJ in the offense a bit more & find ways to get him in space.

Agreed, LMJ needs screens, dump offs in the flats, get him runs on the outside... of course occasionally have to run him up the middle can't always go outside. He goes down way too easy but before the SB fumble I actually commented to my brother James runs really hard for a guy his size. I think that turned around his career and he hasn't tried as hard since then. The injuries didn't help. No way around that he is a bust for a 2nd round pick but we didn't use him right either. If he was worth more than a 7th or 6th I'd say trade him. For that might as well keep him for the next 2 years and let him go after that. Maybe if Lattimore would come in play well and stay healthy then there would be a better shot we traded him. Also, if Hunter didn't get hurt.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
I don't know whether it is just me, but this kid looked pretty good to me. This guy is a power runner, not only has he got size he has the speed that goes with it. I certainly hope we will keep him. I would rather take him over LMJ any day.
not sure how many RBs we keep, but Winston clearly looks better than Hampton and the others. Hits the hole hard, has some burst.
  • Geeked
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Originally posted by matt49er:

Agreed, LMJ needs screens, dump offs in the flats, get him runs on the outside... of course occasionally have to run him up the middle can't always go outside. He goes down way too easy but before the SB fumble I actually commented to my brother James runs really hard for a guy his size. I think that turned around his career and he hasn't tried as hard since then. The injuries didn't help. No way around that he is a bust for a 2nd round pick but we didn't use him right either. If he was worth more than a 7th or 6th I'd say trade him. For that might as well keep him for the next 2 years and let him go after that. Maybe if Lattimore would come in play well and stay healthy then there would be a better shot we traded him. Also, if Hunter didn't get hurt.

I find it a but amusing that LMJ becomes a lot more interesting when the 49ers O-line plays like crap. He's a player that has that Faulk like quality when catching the ball between the LB's and the D-line.

On a side note, if the Chargers are going to crowed the line like that and bring heat, why don't the 49ers run a screen or two to keep them honest?
We play SD this year. why show them counters in a meaningless game

• mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LZRD_WZRD:
I don't wanna lose this guy now

Kid looks like a keeper. I'd keep him and put him ahead of LMJ in the depth chart. Plus, he's great insurance in case Latt can't come back.
[ Edited by mayo49 on Aug 25, 2014 at 9:02 AM ]
Originally posted by mayo49:
Kid looks like a keeper. I'd keep him and put him ahead of LMJ in the depth chart. Plus, he's great insurance in case Latt can't come back.

disagree, LMJ is just not suited at all for our vanilla preseason offense. He goes down too easily, so he's always going to look bad running up the middle. Hopefully during the regular season they figure out how to get him in space. But no point in showing it in the preseason.

Latt to PUP, winston to PS.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by nannite:
disagree, LMJ is just not suited at all for our vanilla preseason offense. He goes down too easily, so he's always going to look bad running up the middle. Hopefully during the regular season they figure out how to get him in space. But no point in showing it in the preseason.

Latt to PUP, winston to PS.

I'd rather demote LMJ to KR only and put Winston behind Hyde as the #3 back.
Originally posted by mayo49:
I'd rather demote LMJ to KR only and put Winston behind Hyde as the #3 back.

agree with this. kid hits the holes well and has good size.

3 headed monster

Gore
Hyde
&
Winston

opposing d lines would be drained in the 4th quarters
[ Edited by ninerempire25 on Aug 25, 2014 at 10:43 AM ]
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
guys, relax. it was against a bunch of special teamers that are gonna get cut.
Share 49ersWebzone