LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 158 users in the forums

Only a FS Jimmie Ward-Houston Texans

Shop 49ers game tickets
Whoever nicknamed him Hospital ward deserves an award.
Originally posted by gold49digger:
Whoever nicknamed him Hospital ward deserves an award.

it'll be a broken a Ward

• evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by evil:
evils boy is just not going to make it

Not my boy, but I do hope he makes it. Health has been his main issue.

i admit i do not watch every game and not trying to be rude.. but really.. even when healthy.. i just can not recall to much he ever did that was worthy of his draft status or his salary. most of the time he gets hurt on non football related plays.sorry. no link for that. its just what i think has happend

He has been unspectacular from a stat sheet/highlight reel perspective, but his play on film has been good enough for him to earn his spot to date. He has been asked to play all over the secondary and has had to play in 4 different schemes.

Hopefully he stays healthy because he will create good competition and the best of the bunch will earn their spots on this roster.

i admit i do not watch every game and not trying to be rude.. but really.. even when healthy.. i just can not recall to much he ever did that was worthy of his draft status or his salary. most of the time he gets hurt on non football related plays.sorry. no link for that. its just what i think has happend

He has been unspectacular from a stat sheet/highlight reel perspective, but his play on film has been good enough for him to earn his spot to date. He has been asked to play all over the secondary and has had to play in 4 different schemes.

Hopefully he stays healthy because he will create good competition and the best of the bunch will earn their spots on this roster.

"Unspectacular" is his middle name.

At best, IMO, he will be a quality guy coming off the bench at 3-4 different positions.

That's a good guy to have.

Like AA he isn't even close to the level of his draft position.

Here's rooting for him to recover and shine. From one underdog to another.
Jimmie heading in to work.

The 8.5M stings.

But at least this coaching staff has realized that, at best, Jimmy is the 6th best DB on this team. So at least we're not seeing them force him into the starting lineup because he was a first rd pick.

So, there's that.
Originally posted by Lobo49er:
The 8.5M stings.

But at least this coaching staff has realized that, at best, Jimmy is the 6th best DB on this team. So at least we're not seeing them force him into the starting lineup because he was a first rd pick.

So, there's that.

Meh not my money. We still have like 45 mill in cap space and he's not gonna be on the team next year
Originally posted by IT21:
The 8.5M stings.

So, there's that.

Meh not my money. We still have like 45 mill in cap space and he's not gonna be on the team next year

It's still 8.5M we don't get to carry over.

Best case scenario- Ward never comes close to earning that money, which would mean we had a healthy secondary all year.
His body needs less reps. Let's hope he's healthy in September

• cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by lamontb:
His body needs less reps. Let's hope he's healthy in September

if that is true he should be the healthiest person on the team, he has had hardly any playing time or reps in the last four years. in my opinion he needs to work to secure a spot on the roster. it drives me crazy thinking this guy can just set around and play checkers while everyone else busts thier ass to make the team simply because he is versatile, or we picked up his option or whatever other reason or reasons there are out there floating around
Originally posted by IT21:
The 8.5M stings.

So, there's that.

It's still 8.5M we don't get to carry over.

Best case scenario- Ward never comes close to earning that money, which would mean we had a healthy secondary all year.

We already got like almost 80 mill, and a few small moves can get us to 90+. Imo ward was smart insurance, and now hell just have to rotate in hopefully assuming sherm ends up atleast 80+% of old form which I think he will easily personally.

Gives time also for young guys to come along properly. Ward is super handy to have on game day 46 man rosters if you put his salary to the side.
[ Edited by SmokeCrabtrees on Jun 14, 2018 at 2:13 AM ]
ESPN - "Over $8 million for a backup? 49ers are okay with it"

The five starters in the secondary will make just over $13 million, so paying $8.5 mil for their backup is crazy, even if he's backing up all five spots. The article makes a valid point that the Niners will be playing a lot more zone, and that seems to be a better fit for Ward. Plus someone in the secondary is always hurt, so backups are important. At this point, Ward is a sunk cost, and he seems to be okay with not starting, so all we can do is wish him success.
Originally posted by Garoppolis:
ESPN - "Over $8 million for a backup? 49ers are okay with it"

The five starters in the secondary will make just over $13 million, so paying $8.5 mil for their backup is crazy, even if he's backing up all five spots. The article makes a valid point that the Niners will be playing a lot more zone, and that seems to be a better fit for Ward. Plus someone in the secondary is always hurt, so backups are important. At this point, Ward is a sunk cost, and he seems to be okay with not starting, so all we can do is wish him success.

Makes a lot of sense until you realized— the guy that backup in case of injuries— is always injured 🤕
  • thl408
If he's going to be a reserve, he needs to play special teams. Just running downfield then BAM arrow in the knee. Misses a month.

(strained quad)
Share 49ersWebzone