LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 143 users in the forums

Tarell Brown, please re-sign with the 49ers.

Shop 49ers game tickets
With teams running around with 30-60 million in cap space before cuts, it's unlikely that we bring Boogie back. Some team will pay him far more than he is worth.
If we lose Rogers we have to keep Brown. Too much to ask to replace two corners and your safety and expect to improve.
Originally posted by tjace:
Best cover corner? Brock was way better than this guy. Time to let Fangio continue to develop his own guys. Cully and Brock should be fine next year with a draft pick, Cox, and Wright adding depth.

Brown is good but I wouldn't break the bank for him. He's not worth the mega top 10 CB contract he thinks he is. Personally, I think we'd be just fine with Brock, Cully, and drafting a CB in the higher rounds in a deep, rich CB class. But it is possible Brown could be back after testing FA and he doesn't find what he's looking for.
Originally posted by NeonNiner:
Brown is good but I wouldn't break the bank for him. He's not worth the mega top 10 CB contract he thinks he is. Personally, I think we'd be just fine with Brock, Cully, and drafting a CB in the higher rounds in a deep, rich CB class. But it is possible Brown could be back after testing FA and he doesn't find what he's looking for.

Did he say he thinks he's worth top 10 CB money? If so, peace out.
Goldson bolted the first chance he could get the coin, after the franchise tag couldn't be used on him anymore.

Brown's probably still miffed he lost that $2 million but that's not the team's fault

If he is willing to resign to fair contract that still pays him well and he wants to play for a winner, instead of a loser, then I hope he comes back
I hope he signs a huge deal elsewhere. He missed out on $2M and has been a solid starter for us. He deserves to get his payday, i just don't think the Niners are in a position to pay him what he can get elsewhere.

Plus the bigger deal he signs elsewhere, the better the compensatory pick we get. :D
Originally posted by 24plus25er:
With teams running around with 30-60 million in cap space before cuts, it's unlikely that we bring Boogie back. Some team will pay him far more than he is worth.

this. you can't keep everybody in today's NFL, that's just how it works, that's why the draft and a good GM are so vital. We may keep Brown but it will be a case of him hitting the market, not getting what he wants and coming back on a 1 year deal to set himself up to "prove it" and hit FA again next offseason, we have to pay Kaep & Aldon and will try like hell to fit Crabs and maybe Iupati into that mix. Not to mention resigning Boldin, Dawson and in future years guys like Cully, Hunter, Miller etc etc.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by btthepunk:
An article a few days ago said they are likely to re-sign Brown and Whitner.

Unless the FO is not planning to resign Boldin (who is a high priority must resign FA), I highly doubt that will be possible unless both are willing to take significantly less to stay.

we're only $5.5 mill under the cap, re-signing any two of Whitner, Brown, and Boldin will require at least a total of $15 mill in cap room because we have to factor in paying our 2014 draft picks as well. Re-signing Dawson also needs to be taken into account, we can't franchise Dawson at the kicker # of roughly $3m cause it would be his 3rd time under the tag, automatically qualifying him to make the equivalent of the QB Franchise tag of $16M. Either way we'll likely sign Dawson for $3M.

So assuming we cut Rogers....I think that saves something like $6 mill give or take $500K. Correct me if I'm wrong please.

Leaving us roughly $12 mill under the cap....Who else gets cut, restructured or extended to create that extra $4 million or so? Having $16M in cap would allow us to sign any of the following combinations

1. Boldin, Brown, Dawson
2. Boldin, Whiter, Dawson
3. Whitner, Brown, Dawson
4. Boldin, Brown, Dawson

Or could we get really lucky and finagle Boldin, Whitner, and Brown under $16M in space and find a way to free up another $3-4 million for draft picks and finally draft a kicker?
[ Edited by sfout on Feb 12, 2014 at 9:09 PM ]
Originally posted by 24plus25er:

Yup. Wouldn't be surprised to see Brown in a Raider uniform next season. Oakland has a s**t ton of cap space and need DB help badly. I like Brown and I still think there's a possibility he'll be back but let's face it - he's 29 and at the peak of his career. This will be his last opportunity to cash in for some real dough and a nice contract. Whether he gets that in the market, I'm not sure but if he does, slim chance it comes from us and he'll likely bolt for a payday, especially after losing out on $2M earlier last year.
I'd like Brown to stay. However, this team does a good job of finding corners. It's good to change the mix.

Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
Brown, Cully & Brock. Those are are my dudes.

A very underrated defensive backfield.

Especially when you consider Eric Reid and a potential draft-pick
Originally posted by sfout:
Originally posted by btthepunk:
An article a few days ago said they are likely to re-sign Brown and Whitner.

Unless the FO is not planning to resign Boldin (who is a high priority must resign FA), I highly doubt that will be possible unless both are willing to take significantly less to stay.

we're only $5.5 mill under the cap, re-signing any two of Whitner, Brown, and Boldin will require at least a total of $15 mill in cap room because we have to factor in paying our 2014 draft picks as well. Re-signing Dawson also needs to be taken into account, we can't franchise Dawson at the kicker # of roughly $3m cause it would be his 3rd time under the tag, automatically qualifying him to make the equivalent of the QB Franchise tag of $16M. Either way we'll likely sign Dawson for $3M.

So assuming we cut Rogers....I think that saves something like $6 mill give or take $500K. Correct me if I'm wrong please.

Leaving us roughly $12 mill under the cap....Who else gets cut, restructured or extended to create that extra $4 million or so? Having $16M in cap would allow us to sign any of the following combinations

1. Boldin, Brown, Dawson
2. Boldin, Whiter, Dawson
3. Whitner, Brown, Dawson
4. Boldin, Brown, Dawson

Or could we get really lucky and finagle Boldin, Whitner, and Brown under $16M in space and find a way to free up another $3-4 million for draft picks and finally draft a kicker?

we'll cut Baldwin and save 1.4M, and maybe give out a couple extensions/restructures (AB has mentioned Ray Mac, Brooks, VD and maybe Willis I think as potential candidates) and IMO Gore will have to shave a couple million off his $6M+ cap # but all in all, your point is right, we have guys to resign and other higher priority guys (Kaep, Aldon, Crabs, Iupati) to extend and more coming in the next couple years.
Not interested, Whitner is going, too. Our backfield is getting younger, and inexpensive. I expect us to shock the world even, and trade up for a well-valued first round DB. We're like GB (also a signature of the Fangio/Capers connection), the only people we pay-up for on our defense are either DEs, and/or LBs.
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Not interested, Whitner is going, too. Our backfield is getting younger, and inexpensive. I expect us to shock the world even, and trade up for a well-valued first round DB. We're like GB (also a signature of the Fangio/Capers connection), the only people we pay-up for on our defense are either DEs, and/or LBs.

wouldn't shock me one bit if we traded up and got one of the top 2 corners
Although any team wants to sign their own, hard choices have to be made, and I don't think the niners will sign Brown. He will be Dashon Goldson part two. Too much money. Aldon, Kaep are priorities as well as well as Iupati who even he may not be able to resigned. Keeping Boldin to team with Crabs until patton hopefully developes and perhaps another is imperative to get the passing games growth and in foward progress is more important than Brown. Why? If the offense can keep the ball more and longer, that helps keep the D fresh.
Share 49ersWebzone