LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 261 users in the forums

Tarell Brown, please re-sign with the 49ers.

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Jcool:
Im sure he doesnt exactly want a 1-year, $3.5M deal

Is that all he signed for??

Didn't we offer him pretty much the same for 3 years? Fool. He's banking on playing well and HOPING the market for CB's sucks so he can cash in. Getouttahere!

Exactly. It's not that the 49ers couldn't match that. It's that Brown didn't think the 3-year deal the 49ers offered was lucrative enough. He's banking on having a great year, then trying to cash in more money next year.
I hope he does well there.
I hope he has fun losing in oaktown.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Exactly. It's not that the 49ers couldn't match that. It's that Brown didn't think the 3-year deal the 49ers offered was lucrative enough. He's banking on having a great year, then trying to cash in more money next year.

Of course, leaving one of the NFL's best defense's for a middle of the road defense on a lousy team will guarantee you better pay at age 30.
Originally posted by 80849er4life:
We couldnt keep brown for 1 year 3.5 mill?

Question would you want Brown for that 1 year $ 3.5 million or someone like Verrett or Fuller for between $1.3 million to $ 2.25 million per year over four plus an option for a fifth year?

Of course, leaving one of the NFL's best defense's for a middle of the road defense on a lousy team will guarantee you better pay at age 30.

This guy has poor business sense. He'll be facing Manning, Rivers and Smith X2 a year. Good luck falling into the Black Hole...where Niner's go to end their careers.
Originally posted by sfout:
Originally posted by Raul98:
This is B.S.!!!!!!!!!!! 3.5 million yet they had 2 million in guaranteed money for Gabbert who will never see the field they let one of the best corners on the team and a important part of the team go over 3 million I'm really pissed off now.

Money never mattered. Every 9er beat guy reported we overed TB a 3 year $10M deal which is basically the same average. The only catch was the 9ers want Cully and Brock starting next season, TB would have to be the slot guy.

TB wants to continue to play outside and make more money than either deal. Best chance is to take a 1 year prove it deal with a team with a ton of cap space that may reward him with an extension midseason if he does well enough.

He will be average on the Raiders i already know i hella didn't want him off this team but i have no say in it they better draft a stud corner or sign Thurmond to make up for this.
Do you guys think we even made a big effort into resigning him? Because 3.5 mill for on year isn't too much
Kind of a bummer that he went to the raiders. Why couldn't we just offer him that same deal
Originally posted by NCommand:

This guy has poor business sense. He'll be facing Manning, Rivers and Smith X2 a year. Good luck falling into the Black Hole...where Niner's go to end their careers.

Yup. Poor decision by him. I get he has confidence in himself, but there are too many factors out of his control. He's going to be 30 and burnt toast playing in that division with a poor front 7 in front of him. Good luck to him.

• cciowa
  • Veteran
he means nothing to me anymore
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
Kind of a bummer that he went to the raiders. Why couldn't we just offer him that same deal

maiocco tweeted and then DELETED earlier that the 9ers think they can get thurmond for 1yr $2M...not sure why he deleted it, my only guess is his source told him not to reveal that part cuz it was part of the same tweet he said niners are offering tarrell brown 3yrs $10M
  • kem99
  • Veteran
Pure speculation on my part but Brown choosing the Raiders makes some sense from his point of view...My guess is that the 49ers made him a similar offer but if he stays in SF, he has to compete with Brock and Culliver to start. With the Raiders, a starting spot is probably his or, at a minimum, his to lose and if he has a good year, he can re-enter free agency again next year. From his point of view, there is a greater risk that he doesn't start in SF and if that happened, his value declines further.

And, despite what everyone said in the aftermath, I suspect there's at least a part of Brown that wanted a higher number from SF than what he would accept elsewhere. I doubt he really believes that the 49ers didn't know about the workout bonus requirement until it was too late.
Originally posted by kem99:
Pure speculation on my part but Brown choosing the Raiders makes some sense from his point of view...My guess is that the 49ers made him a similar offer but if he stays in SF, he has to compete with Brock and Culliver to start. With the Raiders, a starting spot is probably his or, at a minimum, his to lose and if he has a good year, he can re-enter free agency again next year. From his point of view, there is a greater risk that he doesn't start in SF and if that happened, his value declines further.

And, despite what everyone said in the aftermath, I suspect there's at least a part of Brown that wanted a higher number from SF than what he would accept elsewhere. I doubt he really believes that the 49ers didn't know about the workout bonus requirement until it was too late.

I get that but I'm also willing to bet, 3-years 10+M by us is going to be the best contract he ever sees as he'll be 31 next year and will be playing the likes of Alex, Manning and Rivers x2 next year. We should revisit it next year and see if his gamble paid off!
I wish him well. I really liked him especially s the Deep Ball. I feel we shoulda kept him ESPECIALLY at that price but oh well such is life. Good Luck TB and thanks for 7 very decent years.
Share 49ersWebzone