There are 200 users in the forums

Jon Baldwin Has Played His Last Game For The 9ers ?!

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by pd24:
Originally posted by NCommand:
That is good for Baldwin, and some other players in danger of being cut, but I hate it for the incoming rookie class. That is 1 less month for them to learn the system and playbook. With the way our coaching staff waits to play rookies, I don't like pushing the draft back.

Let's be honest here, a rookie WR, even a 1st rounder, probably won't play more than a few decoy and primary target snaps this year.
True, only for us though. Other teams play rookie WR's all the time and get production. The Seahawks were playing some undrafted guys in the Superbowl... lol

while seattle certainly is more apt to play the young guys, their undrafted wr's in years super bowl were doug bladwin (3rd yr in league) ricardo lockette (3rd yr in league) and jermiane kearse (2nd yr in league). none of them were rookies.
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Originally posted by crabman82:
That is good for Baldwin, and some other players in danger of being cut, but I hate it for the incoming rookie class. That is 1 less month for them to learn the system and playbook. With the way our coaching staff waits to play rookies, I don't like pushing the draft back.

Let's be honest here, a rookie WR, even a 1st rounder, probably won't play more than a few decoy and primary target snaps this year.
True, only for us though. Other teams play rookie WR's all the time and get production. The Seahawks were playing some undrafted guys in the Superbowl... lol

while seattle certainly is more apt to play the young guys, their undrafted wr's in years super bowl were doug bladwin (3rd yr in league) ricardo lockette (3rd yr in league) and jermiane kearse (2nd yr in league). none of them were rookies.
Baldwin is good, I was talking about Lockette, and Kerse. They would not have played here last year rookie or not. We don't play 3 WR much, we need to.
Originally posted by crabman82:

Baldwin is good, I was talking about Lockette, and Kerse. They would not have played here last year rookie or not. We don't play 3 WR much, we need to.

of course they would not have played here, we are not as apt to roll out the young guys and live with the results. i just wanted to clarify that those guys were not rookies as it seemed your post was kind of inferring that.
At least, not at the beginning. You dont want to present your new weapon to the opponents early.
Originally posted by communist:
At least, not at the beginning. You dont want to present your new weapon to the opponents early.

LMAO. Yeah, we're going to save him and all our brilliant back-pocket plays for the playoffs...smoke-and-mirror-style is what we're all about.
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Originally posted by communist:

Lol
  • thl408
http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/sports/49ers-Jonathan-Baldwin-New-Deal-May-Give-Him-Second-Chance-246897301.html

To reach those incentives, however, Baldwin would have to produce like the big-time playmaker he was supposed to be. According to Yates, he'd have to play 80 percent of offensive snaps and catch 65 or more passes for at least 800 yards. Bill Williamson, who covers the 49ers for ESPN.com, also reported that the money in Baldwin's contract isn't guaranteed, so if the Niners decide to cut him before the season, they'd escape any costs.

But the Star story quoted draft analyst Jared Counterman of OptimumScouting.com as saying that Baldwin wasn't believed to be "a super-hard worker" and a sloppy route runner – a trait that apparently surfaced with the 49ers, too. There are no such concerns about (Kelvin) Benjamin.

At 24, Baldwin still has time. But he'll need to have a great offseason to earn a job.

I guess the bolded partly explains why Andy Reid was quick to get rid of this guy. What better way for the new coach to show the other players that slackers don't get a free ride. The sloppy route runner thing is no surprise to me.
Originally posted by thl408:
http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/sports/49ers-Jonathan-Baldwin-New-Deal-May-Give-Him-Second-Chance-246897301.html

To reach those incentives, however, Baldwin would have to produce like the big-time playmaker he was supposed to be. According to Yates, he'd have to play 80 percent of offensive snaps and catch 65 or more passes for at least 800 yards. Bill Williamson, who covers the 49ers for ESPN.com, also reported that the money in Baldwin's contract isn't guaranteed, so if the Niners decide to cut him before the season, they'd escape any costs.

But the Star story quoted draft analyst Jared Counterman of OptimumScouting.com as saying that Baldwin wasn't believed to be "a super-hard worker" and a sloppy route runner – a trait that apparently surfaced with the 49ers, too. There are no such concerns about (Kelvin) Benjamin.

At 24, Baldwin still has time. But he'll need to have a great offseason to earn a job.

I guess the bolded partly explains why Andy Reid was quick to get rid of this guy. What better way for the new coach to show the other players that slackers don't get a free ride. The sloppy route runner thing is no surprise to me.

Yeah, I don't know who Jared Counterman is but that was his scouting assessment and perhaps, it continues to be true to this day. He'll really have to earn it now...this, clearly, is his last shot! The ego should be in-check by now.
  • pd24
  • Veteran

Yeah, I don't know who Jared Counterman is but that was his scouting assessment and perhaps, it continues to be true to this day. He'll really have to earn it now...this, clearly, is his last shot! The ego should be in-check by now.

He seemed cool on the sidelines when he didn't dress. He was always cheering for guys as they came off the field and looked like he was always talking to the WR's asking questions, just from the few sideline clips I saw during games.
  • thl408

He seemed cool on the sidelines when he didn't dress. He was always cheering for guys as they came off the field and looked like he was always talking to the WR's asking questions, just from the few sideline clips I saw during games.

That doesn't tell me anything about how hard a worker he is. Not sure if that was what you were trying to get at.

That doesn't tell me anything about how hard a worker he is. Not sure if that was what you were trying to get at.

True on both accounts. His attitude seemed to be very positive and excited upon his arrival and I believe Harbaugh gave him some props as well and said at one point, they'd try to game plan him in more and throw him some bones. I "hope" that's a sign that he's turned the corner if maturity and work ethic issues were there...perhaps that is why they approached him to restructure and give him another shot rather than flat our releasing him? Not sure...
[ Edited by NCommand on Feb 25, 2014 at 2:50 PM ]
  • pd24
  • Veteran

It showed he had a good mind set from dressing one week to not the next week. He didn't cry or tweet about.
  • thl408
It showed he had a good mind set from dressing one week to not the next week. He didn't cry or tweet about.

Gotcha. Good point considering someone like LMJ. I remember some reports coming out right when the 49ers acquired Baldwin and how he was watching Kap throw the ball during their pre-season game. He said something to the effect of, "Kap throws a nice ball". The report also mentioned that one of the KC WRs (a former Cardinal), raved about Boldin and how professional Boldin was. One week later, Baldwin was a 49er and is a teammate of Boldin. Baldwin expressed a lot of excitement in getting to join the 49ers.
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Kind of excited to see what he does in the camps and pre season. I want to see him on the field for an extended period of time. It's his last shot with us, I hope he can put it together this offseason and be a player for us.
Kind of excited to see what he does in the camps and pre season. I want to see him on the field for an extended period of time. It's his last shot with us, I hope he can put it together this offseason and be a player for us.

For sure, it would be nice to have guys his size man handling the Hawks taller CB's for years...add in Boldin and then perhaps, Donte Moncrief...could have some big physical X & Z receivers out there making plays for years to come. But first things, first.
Share 49ersWebzone