LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 413 users in the forums

AJ Jenkins Play & Coaches Letting Go of Good Talent

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • kem99
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OC49erLuVeR:
Was just watching ESPN and the Chiefs Broncos highlights. Did you see AJ's 26 yard reception? Tough catch too! Anyone prefer to have Jenkins over Baldwin? Maybe the coaches didn't give AJ enough time? I know Baldwin had that tough endzone drop I believe against the Saints. Wasn't Jonathan's issue his hands with the Chiefs?

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap2000000291247/GameDay-Broncos-vs-Chiefs-highlights

Water under the bridge, but are we too quick to let go of young talent? I.e., we had at QB Daniels. Gamble with him and he goes to the she-hawks. Get Skelton. Dropped him. Get another no-name and drop him. So we have Kap, McCoy and Boldin as the 3rd stringer (who can sling it at FSU)?

I know there were money issues, but here's some good looking players we let go (feel free to add more I missed)

Ginn Jr (Star @ Carolina)
Jenkins
Walker
Daniels
Goldson (but too much $$$)
Tolzien (I think is better than McCoy)
JT O'Sullivan (LOL..jk here)

Sucked we had issues at WR this year, but we're picking up steam. Just thinking about Jenkins' play...lol...Seller's Remorse
Unless you can point me to a post you made before Jenkins was traded calling for AJ to get more playing time and opportunities, I don't think anyone on this board can get criticize the 49ers for letting him go to early. 90% of the posters thought he should have been gone much earlier.

As for Daniels, yes, he was picked up by Seattle...and has since been released and no one has moved to bring him in. If he was really that hot of a QB prospect, given the QB situations on some of the league's worst teams, wouldn't someone have brought him in by now? The league is telling you the same thing the 49ers and Seahawks have already told you.

Even if you think Tolzien is better than McCoy, is it really such a difference that it matters? Tolzien got benched in favor of Matt Flynn, who lost his job in Seattle, got benched in Oakland before the regular season started and then was released, signed with Buffalo and was released again, and was only signed by the Packers because Rodgers got hurt.

The 49ers couldn't afford Walker and Goldson. They actually have had an upgrade from Goldson in Reid at a much cheaper price. Walker has been missed but he wanted to start and be a featured TE. That wasn't going to happen here. I also seem to recall that, again, most on this board thought he was overrated and wanted to see him go.

There really should not be any hand wringing over Ginn either. It wasn't just that he was not productive here as a WR. He also wasn't productive as a WR in Miami after being a top 10 overall draft pick. The Dolphins thought so much of him that they let him go for a low round pick. Congratulations to Ginn and Carolina for finding a system to finally allow him to contribute something as a WR but lets not overstate it. He is still, at best, a # 3 or # 4 WR.

We should also not forget that going into this season, we knew the 49ers were likely going to have to let some guys go that would go elsewhere and be productive. That's the "curse" of having a deep and talented roster. It is likely to occur again next year as well. It is a good problem to have.
3 catches on a season warrants a thread about how we let him go? Throw this on in the pile all the other scrubs that people here freaked out about and were sent packing.

Maybe when AJ gets cut he and BJ Daniels can get a cup of coffee or something...
  • Jiks
Originally posted by PhillyNiner:
3 catches on a season warrants a thread about how we let him go? Throw this on in the pile all the other scrubs that people here freaked out about and were sent packing.

Maybe when AJ gets cut he and BJ Daniels can get a cup of coffee or something...

We are speaking of AJ Jenkins here.
We've got to stop with these knee jerk reactions and really look at the situation objectively.

We traded trash for trash with the Baldwin for Jenkins trade. I don't know why opportunities Jenkins has had in KC, but he's done next to nothing. We all know that Baldwin's opportunities have been limited. To me, it events out there.

With the TE situation, there was just no way we could pay Delanie Walker that kind of money. He is a very valuable piece, but we had to let him walk. Hopefully the coaches are able to develop a suitable replacement. The only real argument is Ginn and at the time, Ginn was NOT doing well for us as a receiver and seemed to regress as a punt returner. The ONLY reason there would have been to retain Ginn is because of the speed element he brought to the field. But even then, we thought AJ Jenkins was going to be that guy. Oh well. You win some and you lose some, and we win a lot more often than we lose with personnel.

I'd be more concerned about our ability to develop talent at WR. Two of our best guys cut their teeth elsewhere (Manningham and Boldin) and the other guy (Crabtree) was arguably the best receiver in the draft at the time he came out.

There is toooo much 20-20 hindsight talking going on. Sure it would be nice to have all these people, but as I said, you can't win them all. And for all of the people wishing we had certain guys back, the majority of the Zone wanted every single one of them gone last offseason, including Walker, Ginn, Moss, kwk.
Originally posted by hofer36:
funny but not quite accurate he had 3 catches vs the chiefs

right, the point is that AJ's starting to make an impact and that last catch was big. hopefully we will get something out of baldwin soon. he should be the one making the "jump ball catch" in the red zone.
[ Edited by OC49erLuVeR on Dec 3, 2013 at 9:38 AM ]
The other thing people forget about Walker is that he very much wanted to go be a #1 TE somewhere, and he knew he would never be in San Fran. Can't fault a guy for wanting to be the best and looking for an opportunity to do so. I'm happy he found a place and is doing well over in Tennessee.
Originally posted by hofer36:
funny but not quite accurate he had 3 catches vs the chiefs

right, the point is that AJ's starting to make an impact and that last catch was big. hopefully we will get something out of baldwin soon. he should be the one making the "jump ball catch" in the red zone.

Rumors are that he'll never suit up for the team again.

Where in the OC are you?
Originally posted by frenchmov:
now post AJ's easy drop 2 drives before that. dude is f**king garbage

he has 2 catches this season.... same amount as baldwin

Ya he dropped a perfect 40 yard pass from Alex dude stinks
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:

Where in the OC are you?

Mission Viejo...please don't throw eggs at my house because of this post
tired of the ginn talk. show me one niner fan who wanted him back as a wr....there isnt one. but now all the know it alls say we shoulda kept him.

Where in the OC are you?

Mission Viejo...please don't throw eggs at my house because of this post
lol. Nope. I'm in San Clemente - not too far.
lol. Nope. I'm in San Clemente - not too far.

Nice...know any big Niner sports bars in South County (sorry i should have PM'd you)
[ Edited by OC49erLuVeR on Dec 3, 2013 at 10:03 AM ]
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
dude catches one pass and someone makes a thread. lol
a lot of moves we made this previous off season were made knowing that Kaep, Crabtree, Iupati etc have big pay days coming up.
Originally posted by susweel:
dude catches one pass and someone makes a thread. lol

surprised?
Share 49ersWebzone