LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 342 users in the forums

Cam Johnson being traded to Colts???

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 5280High:
You answered your own question, we have Skuta and Lemonier. We cant play the what if game, ok what if 2 OLBs get hurt, what if 2 WRs get hurt, what if the special teamer we cut to make room for both Cam and Harper would of made a tackle during the superbowl and save a return TD. Hindsight is always 20/20, all the staff can do is position themselves to be as prepared as possible for the events to come.

Cam would of never dressed this year, and injuries didnt preclude Brooks & Aldon starting every game in the post season. In the end its just math, we had 5 players for 2 OLB starting spots, compared to 5 players for 3 WR starting spots. Plus injuries to receivers have been this teams problem not OLBs.
ok, i understand those two guys are much better than last year and really, i can not recall who our backups were last year for aldon and brooks. i guess the injuries and the drop off in production, esp aldon, really makes me put this area under a microscope... so and i am sorry for acting stupid but believe me it is not an act... So right now we have two guys as backups to aldon and brooks? thats it? and in your opinion is that normal or typical for teams to carry two backup outside linebackers?? thank you,, i am sorry for asking but really need to have this explained to me so I know whether or not I am concerned for no reason, thank you cc
Originally posted by monsterzero789:
Ive been a Cam Johnson fan since before we drafted him but this is a great move by the FO. Chances are he was going to be inactive come game day anyways. This guy was on the verge of being cut just a few weeks ago and through his hard work managed to make the 53 man roster. Unfortunately for him we bulked up there this offseason with Lemonier and Skuta. But he is being rewarded for his hard work by going to a team who made the playoffs last year and should only get stronger. 9ers benefit by getting a conditional that should be higher than the 7th we used on him last year. Good for the 9ers, good for Cam Johnson.

Harper will be inactive on game days too.

And he's no guarantee to even stick on the roster when Manningham and Crabtree get healthy.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
I was hoping for this:

WOLB - Smith, Cam J, (Skuta)

ILB - Bowman, Skuta

ILB - Willis, Wilhoite

SOLB - Brooks, Lem, (Skuta)

... but really, like I said... just a preference, and not worth getting worked up about.
what about our rookie moody,, i think he is on the roster and could be a good player for us?
Originally posted by Scoots:
A bit of a shame, but something is better than nothing.

no offense to you, because you are not the only one who has said this before.

but why did there have to be a "nothing"?

i don't understand why we had to get rid of him for Super Skuta or others who would not make other teams practice squads.

I'm sure I'm going to hear special teams special teams! but can we not plug in someone else to be there? Can we not throw Johnson out there to rush the passer on passing situations when Aldon or Brooks is tired..and let them shine in a regular season game...and build up a better trade down the road?

I'm sure this "something" is barely a 6th round pick or a 7th again.

again, I just feel we are being too cute for our own good. If Aldon gets hurt and the Lemon man gets tired, because he is a rookie, who is next to provide true pass rush pressure against these elite QBs we have to face this season?
Originally posted by cciowa:
what about our rookie moody,, i think he is on the roster and could be a good player for us?

I do likes me some Moody, but ultimately feel we could have added him to the PS for a year.
Is Skuta that much better on ST? I think Cam had a higher ceiling at OLB in comparison to Skuta.
ok, i understand those two guys are much better than last year and really, i can not recall who our backups were last year for aldon and brooks. i guess the injuries and the drop off in production, esp aldon, really makes me put this area under a microscope... so and i am sorry for acting stupid but believe me it is not an act... So right now we have two guys as backups to aldon and brooks? thats it? and in your opinion is that normal or typical for teams to carry two backup outside linebackers?? thank you,, i am sorry for asking but really need to have this explained to me so I know whether or not I am concerned for no reason, thank you cc

I think you just answered your own question, CC. Carrying 8 linebackers seems to be the norm for a 3-4 team (4 OLB, 4 ILB) so I think the 49ers are in good shape there. Plus, with Skuta being tasked to play both In and Out, that's a bonus. The other thing that will help out the defense is the MUCH improved play at nose tackle - that will take pressure off the rushers (some). This won't be the 2011 defense, but it will hold it's own.

Yeah I would think 4 is pretty standard for OLBs in a 3-4 base, remember this team has only carried 3 under the Harbaalke era so they are actually addressing the depth issue. And the Aldon Smith issue from last year was blown out of proportion, no he didnt register a sack but he still had 20+ QB pressures over that 5 games span. He was in the backfield ALLOT but trying to sack Wilson, Rodgers, Ryan, and Flacco was the difference....Good QBs that know how to avoid sacks with their quick release and decision making.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Afrikan:
no offense to you, because you are not the only one who has said this before.

but why did there have to be a "nothing"?

i don't understand why we had to get rid of him for Super Skuta or others who would not make other teams practice squads.

I'm sure I'm going to hear special teams special teams! but can we not plug in someone else to be there? Can we not throw Johnson out there to rush the passer on passing situations when Aldon or Brooks is tired..and let them shine in a regular season game...and build up a better trade down the road?

I'm sure this "something" is barely a 6th round pick or a 7th again.

again, I just feel we are being too cute for our own good. If Aldon gets hurt and the Lemon man gets tired, because he is a rookie, who is next to provide true pass rush pressure against these elite QBs we have to face this season?
this is the exact thing i am worried about. i guess they kept skuta because he can back up both at inside and outside but he never played outside before which is a worry to me. I just think we are putting alot of eggs in the basket of hoping the lemon man is the real deal. now you can call it russian roulette or getting to cute but whatever you call it,, afrikan just summed up what I and maybe others feel. Now if some of you want to chuckle at us and call us names thats fine but after what happened last year, this is something you just can not "hope" will not happen again
Haralson was good for 2 sacks in 1 game once a year. We get a 7th for him. Cam looked like a good ST with upside as a pass rusher for probably a 6th. My only issue is that we develop these guys to go elsewhere. And unless we trade all of our 6th and 7th round picks for better quality picks, and we couldnt this past draft, what's the point? It's OK to question moves by the FO b/c they do make mistakes! I'm bummed about losing pass rushers and Cooper, Gray, Lockette and retaining Ventrone and Stupar but chances are, both will be waved once the PUPs come back anyways.

• cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jreff22:
Is Skuta that much better on ST? I think Cam had a higher ceiling at OLB in comparison to Skuta.

cam not not play inside and outside like skuta can plus we know skuta is a good special teams person. i am really trying hard to look at this thing both ways
yeah, the only thing worse than a perceived overreaction is the very real overreacting to the initially perceived overreaction.
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
yeah, the only thing worse than a perceived overreaction is the very real overreacting to the initially perceived overreaction.

This, +1
I would have liked to of kept him but like many zoners here said he would have been inactive anyway there stacking up picks which is good must mean they will be moving up in the draft again next year hopefully for a wide receiver.
4 OLBs mean you can replace the starters if both are injured ... that is at the norm.

If the 49ers lose 1 QB, or 2 DL, or 2 OT, or 2 LB, or 2 TE ... it all goes to hell ... that's normal in the NFL.

It would be nice to keep ALL of our young talent, but unfortunately the 49ers have so much talent we have to lose good players.

It was never going to be 10 LBs for the whole season.
Share 49ersWebzone