There are 195 users in the forums

Cam Johnson being traded to Colts???

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by jreff22:
rather drop Skuta

Me too, but I guess Skuta could be moved to OLB for emergency back up.
Does Bubba Ventrone have pictures of Coach Harbaugh sleeping with Trent Baalke's wife?
How does this guy keep from getting cut. Forgot Bubba we should start calling him La Cucaracha.
Wow there sure are a lot of GM's posting on this site. They all seem to know what is better for the team than the real GM. I have no idea how this will turn out but we had 10 lb's on out roster and Cam might have suited up if there was an injury. Skuta play all the special teams and can rush the passer so he had more value I guess. Stupar I don't know I guess he came into the league as an outside LB so he can play inside or outside so he gives the unit that versatility that Harbalke likes. We will also use the multiple picks to move back and forth in the draft giving us more flexibility. My biggest question is can this Chris Harper help the team or are we just annoying the hawks some more.
7th
Originally posted by strickac:
This gives us like 15 picks next year. Holy damn that's a lot of ammo to move up.

yeah hopefully we can move up to mid rounds with these 7th round picks and find a pass rusher.
He has a nice shot to start. The conditional pick could be something.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by jreff22:
rather drop Skuta

Me too, but I guess Skuta could be moved to OLB for emergency back up.

Skuta is an OLB
  • Lifer
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 5280High:
People realize this was the plan all along right? There was no way we could keep 5 OLBs all season and they didnt want to release Cam and get nothing.

This. We had 5 OLB's. The usual number is 4, so we were overloaded at OLB. Yes, it would be nice to have extra depth at the position. It would also be nice to carry 8 CB's and 15 D-Linemen, but you're limited to 53 players and every "extra" guy you carry at any position effects your depth at some other position.

The front office made a smart play here. Instead of just releasing players like Haralson and Johnson - and getting nothing in return - they've gotten draft picks which will translate into flexibility in future drafts. The 9ers made at least 4 trades in this years draft. Reid, Carradine, MacDonald, and Lemonier were all picked after draft day trades. Many picks equals draft day maneuverability.

Another advantage in trading, rather than releasing, players is that you have some control over where they go, i.e., NOT the NFC West.
[ Edited by Lifer on Sep 2, 2013 at 10:32 AM ]
Originally posted by Afrikan:
This gives us like 15 picks next year. Holy damn that's a lot of ammo to move up.

yeah hopefully we can move up to mid rounds with these 7th round picks and find a pass rusher.

Or another SS, WR, CB, QB, OT, OG...
  • Rascal
  • Veteran

We have 15 already ? Cool, trade up to get Brandon Coleman !! Let's do it.

The 49ers strike again. We set ourselves up for another dynamite draft. Having the ability to move up the draft board so many times was key to the 49ers successful draft. Not only that but having so many picks is always a plus. You have a better chance of hitting on 11-12 guys than 7, it helps when you have so many picks in the middle rounds too.

I don't get why people are getting so upset about trading our 5th and 6th olbs. Lemonier has more upside than both of these guys and skuta showed he can get after the passer. Lemonier Skuta Brooks and smith is a better rotation than haralson smith and brooks when they were all healthy(season before last) and no one was complaining about that. Keeping 6 olbs was just out of the question, glad the 49ers got a 7th for Haralson and I'm glad the 49ers got something for Johnson.
[ Edited by JimDrinkAMiller on Sep 2, 2013 at 10:18 AM ]
Plus, since we have about 12 WRs on the team, we need to slim down everywhere else.
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
Originally posted by sweetDwilly:
I just don't get it. Didn't we pick him in the 7th? So the first year he's injured, then shows tremendous promise his 2nd year, so we trade him for a seventh? Weird.

What are the chances we get a 7th rounder as productive as Cam?

BY "productive," do you mean poor run defense and one game of successful pass rushing against a rapidly declining has been? He looked like he was improving, but he hadn't produced anything yet, and he was a waste of space on STs. Would not suit this year without 1, maybe 2 injuries at OLB.

Truth is, most 7th rounders don't even make it out of camp. So by " productive" I mean a solid back up with potential upside to be more in the future. You don't expect guys picked where Cam was to become All-Pros, but if they can become off the bench solid starters you should be stoked.

And sure it was only one game, but in that one game he showed amazing dominance. Don't forget the blocked and returned punt for a TD. Starks is declining, but basically made him look like a paraplegic.

Anyway, if this is what coach wants, than fine, but I just don't see the value in a 7th pick. Chances are that 7th will be wasted.
Skuta, Moody, Stupar, Ventrone

That's 4 guys on D who are primarily here for their ST roles. So they better hope the D doesn't suffer a rash of injuries, and the coverage units better be a lot better than they were last year.
Cam was good all pre season...what, 4 sacks at least? Made 1 of only 3 great ST's plays? Who had a better pre season? Seriously...
Share 49ersWebzone