LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 304 users in the forums

Cam Johnson being traded to Colts???

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • SaksV
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dhp318:
wtf is the point of 7th rounders if "decent" ones can only be traded for 7th round picks?

Who said they can ONLY be traded for 7th round picks?
I'm sure if the Saints offered Marques Colston (7th rounder), they'd get more than a 7th in exchange.
Same goes for Courtland Finnegan...

2 sacks and 1 blocked punt in the final 2 qrts of the 4th preseason game doesn't make you "decent". It was a nice performance, nothing more. I'm actually surprised Baalke got ANYTHING for him.

In contrast, we got Anquan Boldin for a 6th...... #shrug
[ Edited by SaksV on Sep 2, 2013 at 7:30 PM ]
Don't know about keeping Ray Ventrone and Nate Stupar over Cam Johnson but just have to trust the Niner coaches on this one. Hope this doesn't turn out to be a mistake.
Originally posted by SaksV:
Cam Johnson is neither "clearly talented" nor does he have "tremendous" upside. He is a former 7th round pick that had a hard time outplaying his competition in training camp (Lemonier/Skuta/Haralson). Had it not been for his performance in the last 2 quarters of the last game of the preseason, he would have been released.

There was no way Corey Lemonier was going anywhere...
Dan Skuta was signed early in the off-season to a generous contract. An indication that the FO thought highly of him even before he played a snap on our D.

With that in mind, the complaint that Skuta should have instead been let go seems....silly, if not ignorant.

That only leaves Haralson, who was making damn near 2 million bucks as a veteran, 2-down, role-playing backup.

In conclusion, the team has:
2 All Pro OLBs in Aldon Smith and Ahmad Brooks
1 backup rush linebacker (Lemonier) to be groomed to replace Brooks very very soon (when/if that happens, the team will simply draft a talented backup in 2014/2015...it's not rocket science)
1 backup OLB who lead the team in preseason sacks, has Special Teams talent, and can play inside linebacker in a pinch

This trade makes much more sense than it does not.

This really doesn't make sense. We are on a superbowl run and our defense suffered last year when Justin was out and Aldon had a shoulder issue. It probably cost us the SB. Now, we have traded both of our pass rushing veterans. Lemonier looks good but he is inexperienced.

Better have gotten some damn good picks in return!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Crown
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Joecool:
This really doesn't make sense. We are on a superbowl run and our defense suffered last year when Justin was out and Aldon had a shoulder issue. It probably cost us the SB. Now, we have traded both of our pass rushing veterans. Lemonier looks good but he is inexperienced.

Better have gotten some damn good picks in return!!!!!!!!!!!

Cam wasn't even at Lemonier status so i don't really see the argument here.

But i will tell you this....it is awesome to finally have a team where we all squabble about 4th stringers being traded...means we finally have some depth.
RJF was a 7th rd pick so....
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
RJF was a 7th rd pick so....

That took all the years in his contract to develop then left for a big pay day...

That's the problem with these late round picks, they are rarely, if ever, are ready to play from season one. Its only after pouring a ton of time, resources and roster spots into these late round picks that they even begin to become back up material. However, by that time their contract is usually up, so what's the point?
[ Edited by sweetDwilly on Sep 3, 2013 at 6:08 AM ]
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Another interesting tidbit about this trade pointed out by Matt Barrows. This trade means that only two members of our 2012 draft class remain in LMJ and Looney. Guess the front office is trying to take a mulligan on that draft class and still get something out of it long term.

Elephant in the room is that these "brilliant" Baalke moves are in response to that "brilliant" Baalke draft.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by sdcindy:
What GM would trade a 4th round pick for a guy who has zero tackles in the regular season??????

who in the world would give us more than a 7th for a 7th whose claim to fame is he did well in a pre season game against tinker toy tech? yesterday lots of good posters , to many to name, spelled alot of stuff out for me and made me realize losing this guy is not tragic at all. we are putting alot of eggs into the basket of the lemon man and hope he comes through!skuta may not be a pass rushing beast but i think he is solid, a good tackler and no one can tell me, he is worse than who we had backing up brooks and smith last year.. who were they anyway? skuta also can back up both spots and be a great special teams player. if brooks and smith get hurt we will just deal with that when or if it happens
If we could have gotten more for Cam Baalke would have done so.

IMO, nobody would offer more. Which means most teams that needed someone for his position didn't think he was worth it.
Share 49ersWebzone