LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 346 users in the forums

The Forty-Niners and Rams Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
They may have had the upper hand before the 80's rolled around, but they have little to show for it. As far as historical significance goes 5 > 1 is all that I have look at.
Nobody's arguing that the Rams come even close to the Niners as a franchise.
If not for a comedy of errors last year, we would have swept the Rams. Unless Jeff Fisher & company game-planned Akers missing field goals left and right and our receivers (Delanie) dropping easy touchdowns, it's a wee bit premature to say that "they have our number."

Yes, they play us tough but you'd have to be seriously delusional to think that the Rams currently belong in any conversation about the Niners.

Maybe in another two or three seasons. But not quite yet.
Originally posted by AmpLee:
Not for me. I think 30 years is plenty of time as an example of dominance. Maybe that's because I'm 30 years old, but I could care less who bested the other in the 1950s. But congrats, Rams fans, you guys knocked the snot out of us in the 50s, 60s, and 70s. Regardless, if you don't feel like cherry picking the last 3 decades of relative dominance, then we can just compare trophies over the course of both team's history. Either way, the Rams will always be our little b***h.

In the 00's it's 10-10

In this decade it's 3-2-1

The record doesn't look like dominance recently, and this includes the many years the Rams were the worst team in the entire NFL.

As you pointed out, 50's, 60's, 70's are done and over. But so are the 80's' and 90's.
Originally posted by GNielsen:

Absolutely not. Niners have a great history and 5 Superbowl wins.

No, but the Rams fan came in here talking about "what have you done for me lately" pertaining to championships then proceeded to post an all-time record where most of the Rams wins came in the 50s, 60s, and 70s. You can't make both of those arguments at the same time if wish to avoid contradiction.

The "what have you done for me lately" comment was a question asked about the Rams from a Niner fan. I answered that I'm waiting to see the answer to that myself.

You are confusing topics here. I have only posted facts in regard to the Rams.
I have only posted facts too. That's the thing, facts can look much different depending on the context. You are picking facts to support your fandom, I'm picking facts to give a different perspective. I have a lot of respect for your team, but let's not throw around your championship from 2000 to be some sort of recent title worthy of festooning around a 49er message board. For one, it's not recent, two, we have 5, three, Finnegan is a little punk .

You need to re-read the thread to see the context in which I mentioned the SB win. It was appropriate.
If your comment was appropriate, then I will simply respond with, "How long has it been since you've won your second to last Superbowl?" See how that goes? Regardless, it's not pissing match you can win and only diminishes the point of comparing how these two teams stack up based on their current rosters and recent success.

See, now that comment would have been a totally appropriate response to mine. And deserved. And followed the humor in the jabs. This is supposed to be fun and lively.

Rams have won exactly 1 Superbowl. Niners have won 5. But, Rams have won their one more recently than the Niners won their 5. That is all I said.

I can't give you the recent success you love though. Niners rocked and were simply a powerhouse of insane proportions during their high years in the 80's and 90's. Beautiful football.

You discounted the 60's and 70's, but cling to the 80's and 90's. You also chopped off the first half of the 00 decade because it hurt your record.

Fact is, Rams have been a bad bad team for years. Everyone beat the Rams from 2005 on. Isn't really a thing to brag about. But Niners also have not been the great team you seem to think during those years either.

I mentioned our overall historical record, discounting nothing: 62-62-3.

For this decade it is: 3-2-1.

Niners can change both records to their favor this year.

For current rosters and success, you have won 2 NFC W championships, 1 NFC Championship and have been to the SB. Respect for that. Rams have not done any of that.

But, once you bring in the history of your team, it's kind of unfair to pick and choose which years of history count.
[ Edited by RedAlice on Jun 23, 2013 at 8:52 PM ]
When I consider the Niners history, I only take into account '57, '70-'72, '81-'98 and '11-'12. Totally fair.

When Red Alice considers Rams history, the only relevant years are '45, '73-'79 and '99-'01. Totally fair

Just wanted to clear that up.
When I consider the Niners history, I only take into account '57, '70-'72, '81-'98 and '11-'12. Totally fair.

When Red Alice considers Rams history, the only relevant years are '45, '73-'79 and '99-'01. Totally fair

Just wanted to clear that up.

That made me smile. All is fair in football and war.

I'm very happy with 2012 though. For the first time in years!

I really think the theme of this thread should be shifted to "f**k cortland finnegan he's a little b***h"
At this point I have to move the Niners down to battling for #2 in the NFCW. The injuries have been devastating. Looking like the 2011 Rams. Well, not that bad, but relatively speaking.

Hawks are still solid. Rams have a whole new O and their D is going to be top 5.
49ers will win the NFC West handily!!
Not for me. I think 30 years is plenty of time as an example of dominance. Maybe that's because I'm 30 years old, but I could care less who bested the other in the 1950s. But congrats, Rams fans, you guys knocked the snot out of us in the 50s, 60s, and 70s. Regardless, if you don't feel like cherry picking the last 3 decades of relative dominance, then we can just compare trophies over the course of both team's history. Either way, the Rams will always be our little b***h.

Let's just call the one to most recently win a super bowl the superior team.

Apparently, if you think the Rams will always be your b***h, you didn't watch football last season?

No worries, this season the Rams will show you what they did last season, only now with an actual offense. I CAN'T WAIT to come back to this thread game 4!
[ Edited by RamzFanz on Aug 1, 2013 at 6:02 PM ]
RamZ wants you to argue with him....he's been getting great response to this on the .Net.
Share 49ersWebzone