LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 302 users in the forums

The Forty-Niners and Rams Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
As a few people have pointed out, all this Seahawks drivel is getting boring. It may well be that the Niners biggest current threat is actually out there in St. Louis. Fisher and his staff have reportedly put together a much more explosive offense to go with what is already a very good defense. I don't believe that last season's problems with the Rams show that they have the Niners' number. I think those two games were good games for the Rams and bad games for the Niners. But, if Niner fans are going to be talking about division rivals, there is no team with a longer tradition of rivalry with the Niners than the Rams. This rivalry began in 1950. And, as Roger Craig said, it's always been the biggest of all Niner rivalries.

So, what do the Niners have to do this year to sweep the Rams?
Evidently, Tavon Austin has been wowing everyone at their camp with lightening fast moves and good down-field catches. The nice thing for the Niner defense is probably that they can use the same approach they try to work out for Austin that they have in mind for Harvin. If they can control Harvin, they ought to be able to control Austin and vice versa.
It wouldn't shock me if the Rams had a better record than the Hawks this year. I bet they love the fact they are flying under the radar while the Hawks get all the offseason attention
It was more of beat a LA rivalry
  • teeohh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ChipDouglas510:
It wouldn't shock me if the Rams had a better record than the Hawks this year. I bet they love the fact they are flying under the radar while the Hawks get all the offseason attention

I can see it
We'll take them
I think it's going to be all about the Niner defense with them. They're going away from a power running thing, which the Niners have been pretty good at controlling and more towards an aggressive down-the-field passing approach, for which the Niners' defensive success has been mixed. But, this year, I think the Niners are going to score more points on them and everyone else for that matter.

But one thing definitely has to happen: NO MORE TIPPING PLAYS!
I was thinking that we should just get on top of them quickly. They have an explosive player in Tavon Austin, but I don't see the Rams or any team for that matter coming back on the 49ers if we were up by 14+ points. As for neutralizing what should be a stronger passing game, this is where our extra pass rush should come into play. Two healthy Smith brothers + capable backups to rotate in to keep our starters fresh should equal constant pressure on Sam Bradford. Keep in mind we would have had them beat the second time if it weren't for Delanie Walker's drop of a sure touchdown pass.
Oh, I know. If not for Walker dropping that pass the Niners win and if not for Akers becoming a head case, we win both games.
It's kind of funny after two such close games in which the Niners basically blew it twice, that lots of fans (especially Seahawk fans) think the Rams have the NIners number. I think those kinds of fans may be surprised this next season. What I keep remembering is how Kaepernick absolutely gouged the Rams after his big mistake - 80 yards in three plays, culminating in that floater bouncing off Walker's granite hands. I think Kaepernick has the potential to absolutely own that Rams defense.

Originally posted by GNielsen:
It's kind of funny after two such close games in which the Niners basically blew it twice, that lots of fans (especially Seahawk fans) think the Rams have the NIners number. I think those kinds of fans may be surprised this next season. What I keep remembering is how Kaepernick absolutely gouged the Rams after his big mistake - 80 yards in three plays, culminating in that floater bouncing off Walker's granite hands. I think Kaepernick has the potential to absolutely own that Rams defense.

Well said. If Akers is playing like he was in 2011 we win both games
  • jrg
  • Veteran
f**k the Rams
This year, it is all about the pass rush and our secondary. The Rams are trying to build the Greatest Show on Turf take 2 by adding Jared Cook, Tavon Austin and Stedman Bailey this offseason. What remains to be seen is whether or not the Rams can find a running game to balance out their offense. Darryl Richardson did well as a backup. Isaiah Pead did not show much and he will be suspended for the first game for a substance abuse violation. The wild card is Zac Stacy, the draft pick out of Vanderbilt. He is more of a power runner than either of the first two guys, but can he make the jump to the NFL and be successful. If the Niners can rediscover their dominance as a defense, we should have a good chance of beating them twice.
They need to move back to LA already.....detracts from cards baseball
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:
They need to move back to LA already.....detracts from cards baseball

They need to move out west because they have a 2 hour time zone advantage that no other team has in this division and that is BS!!
Share 49ersWebzone