LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 389 users in the forums

WR Austin Collie

Shop 49ers game tickets
I don't know much about him but from the highlights i saw is it possible manning made him look better than he really is? not sure if that's the case but if he signs a low risk contract i wouldn't mind seeing him come in and compete with the other WR's for a chance to earn a spot.
Originally posted by Raul98:
I don't know much about him but from the highlights i saw is it possible manning made him look better than he really is? not sure if that's the case but if he signs a low risk contract i wouldn't mind seeing him come in and compete with the other WR's for a chance to earn a spot.

Manning definitely is the reason a lot of WRs in Indy played so well. The question is: was he making them LOOK better or making them ACTUALLY better?

Manning has long been described as the best WR coach in the NFL, because he is SO demanding about how his WRs run their routes.

I don't really have the answer to my question, but I do think it's possible that having a WR that has been through a few seasons of Manning training might be a good thing.

Pierre Garcon was a nobody before Manning. And while he didn't do quite as much in Washington he still played pretty well.
Since the recent signing Carswell tore his ACL it looks like Collie was brought into possibly replace him on the 90 man roster.
Collie has talent but his history of concussions is a decision to be factored in. The risk of permanent injury is too great, I'd prefer he walks. Kaep is going to make the receivers we have very productive.
If we don't take him on somebody else will....risk is sort of a moot point. He is depth not a star, little or no risk for the team on a short deal.
the 2013 PJ Fleck
Originally posted by Rizvi49er:
the 2013 PJ Fleck

or the 2013 Swain
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
I hope the 9ers don't sign Collie with his medical history, I hope they stick with what they have now. If any injuries happen up until training camp or during training camp, I hope they re-sign Randy Moss.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
I hope the 9ers don't sign Collie with his medical history, I hope they stick with what they have now. If any injuries happen up until training camp or during training camp, I hope they re-sign Randy Moss.

So you would rather have an ancient WR that obviously no one in the NFL has any interest in (see: T.O., Chad (buttslap) Johnson) and quits on his team, over a productive guy that has a few concussions? Didnt we have a QB that had concussion problems for awhile, Steve Something his name was. Turned out okay I think.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by frozen49er:

So you would rather have an ancient WR that obviously no one in the NFL has any interest in (see: T.O., Chad (buttslap) Johnson) and quits on his team, over a productive guy that has a few concussions? Didnt we have a QB that had concussion problems for awhile, Steve Something his name was. Turned out okay I think.

For one, I said if injuries occur only then I would hope they re-sign him. And yes I'd take Moss (who has been productive while with the 9ers) over a player with multiple concussions, for the sake of him I'd hope Collie retires. And Steve Young retired due to his concussions, which IMO was a smart decision.
[ Edited by Kolohe on Jun 14, 2013 at 2:43 PM ]

oops
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Jun 14, 2013 at 2:52 PM ]
For one, I said if injuries occur only then I would hope they re-sign him. And yes I'd take Moss (who has been productive while with the 9ers) over a player with multiple concussions, for the sake of him I'd hope Collie retires. And Steve Young retired due to his concussions, which IMO was a smart decision.

Collie should retire while he still has some working brain cells left. And, I hope it doesn't come to Moss. I want a couple of the Niners young guys to step up and surprise the hell out of everyone.
Why not try Brandon Lloyd?
[ Edited by Bilal19 on Jun 14, 2013 at 4:49 PM ]
Originally posted by Bilal19:
Why not try Brandon Lloyd?

He's erratic and a bad presence in the locker room and on the practice field according to his last team.
He will not throw a block and cannot throw a block.
He does not want to go over the middle and will not give up his body for the reception when he knows he's going to be hit.
He doesn't have any YAC to speak of - often goes down after the catch.

But, the most important reason: Bryant Young didn't like him.

Case closed.
Originally posted by GNielsen:
He's erratic and a bad presence in the locker room and on the practice field according to his last team.
He will not throw a block and cannot throw a block.
He does not want to go over the middle and will not give up his body for the reception when he knows he's going to be hit.
He doesn't have any YAC to speak of - often goes down after the catch.

But, the most important reason: Bryant Young didn't like him.

Case closed.
If B.Y. didn't like him then, I hate him now.
I thought Lloyd was a good route runner with good speed, interesting though.
Thanks
Share 49ersWebzone