There are 263 users in the forums

DE Quinton Dial

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
He has the size to be a disruptive force , I hope he develops sooner than later ...if he becomes a solid 3-4 DE that commands two blockers ....Just think of how much more effective Cowboy and Aldon will be when he gets in the game ......Dial, Carradine and Dorsey are going to make our D-Line much tougher...plus keep Cowboy and Ray Mac fresh and mean for the 4th quarter

agreed, I'm loving the depth on the D-LINE.
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:

And, that's clearly one of the primary things they needed to address this off season so I'm happy so far.
Originally posted by GNielsen:

And, that's clearly one of the primary things they needed to address this off season so I'm happy so far.

the most interesting player to look out for that no-one is talking about is Ian Williams. He could very well be our starting NT.
the most interesting player to look out for that no-one is talking about is Ian Williams. He could very well be our starting NT.

The only thing I worry about with Williams is that size. The 6'1" height doesn't bother me because he's down low, but is 305 lbs. heavy enough for a NT? They seem to like him there though, so I'm hoping for the best.
I don't like cheap shots whether they're dealt by Niner players or anyone else. I hope the professionalism of the Niner defense rubs off on him a little and he just concentrates on beating the guys in front of him and making the tackles. I like the pick because he's definitely big, strong and nasty, but a player can be nasty without delivering cheap shots.

While I respect your opinion that's not a cheap shot! When I was growing up and played first thing coach always said was protect yourself and keep your head on a swivel. It is not the job of anyone else to protect you. If QB's wanna be protected from hits like these then dont try to make a tackle. Otherwise there fair game like the other 21 men on the field.
Originally posted by bALLSOhARD:
While I respect your opinion that's not a cheap shot! When I was growing up and played first thing coach always said was protect yourself and keep your head on a swivel. It is not the job of anyone else to protect you. If QB's wanna be protected from hits like these then dont try to make a tackle. Otherwise there fair game like the other 21 men on the field.

We're going to have to disagree on that. My opinion is the decision to lay a shot on an unsuspecting player lies with the person making the hit. Whether or not another player is looking out for himself is irrelevant. A player notices another player not paying attention and he has three options: do nothing, lay a clean hit on that person, or lay a cheap shot (ie, smashing him in the face). I'd rather the player just lay a clean hit on the other player. You don't have to smash a guy in the face.
Originally posted by ads_2006:
Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper:
Originally posted by Jcool:

Looked clean to me.

thats pretty bad that he would do that

love it

nobody would hesitate to take a shot at kaepernick if given the opportunity.

Isnt that how people wanted to defend him? By hitting him whether or not he handed off the ball.

This, QB moving toward ball carrier = target. This isn't pee wee league, if you don't wanna be hit, then don't move toward the person who has the ball. Was it a little dirty, yeah, but you got be aware that you might get a shot taken at you if you put yourself in position to.

Might as well call out Ahmad Brooks for slamming Matt Ryan to the turf in the NFCCG. He didn't have to be so rough, but he was, because he could, and Matt Ryan took the chance of getting roughed up by holding the ball so long. Sorry bro, maybe their hit nicer in Canada.
Originally posted by KowboyKiller:
This, QB moving toward ball carrier = target. This isn't pee wee league, if you don't wanna be hit, then don't move toward the person who has the ball. Was it a little dirty, yeah, but you got be aware that you might get a shot taken at you if you put yourself in position to.

Might as well call out Ahmad Brooks for slamming Matt Ryan to the turf in the NFCCG. He didn't have to be so rough, but he was, because he could, and Matt Ryan took the chance of getting roughed up by holding the ball so long. Sorry bro, maybe their hit nicer in Canada.
I don't strongly disagree with you guys on this subject. It's mainly these head-shots like the ones Sapp and Golden Tate delivered that I object to. Those could end a guys career or even his life and they don't really have anything to do with the play. As far as Brooks-Ryan is concerned, that's something altogether different to me. Brooks is trying to sack the QB and he has to bring him down as quickly and as violently as possible to prevent a throw.

I don't strongly disagree with you guys on this subject. It's mainly these head-shots like the ones Sapp and Golden Tate delivered that I object to. Those could end a guys career or even his life and they don't really have anything to do with the play. As far as Brooks-Ryan is concerned, that's something altogether different to me. Brooks is trying to sack the QB and he has to bring him down as quickly and as violently as possible to prevent a throw.

Yeah definitely agree on that point, if you're really trying to hurt someone like Sapp would, then you are a POS. It doesn't look like Dial was trying in any way to hurt him, just give him a good pop to think about.
  • SaksV
  • Veteran

Nope

And the ball carriers are pretty darn tough up here too.

Yeah definitely agree on that point, if you're really trying to hurt someone like Sapp would, then you are a POS. It doesn't look like Dial was trying in any way to hurt him, just give him a good pop to think about.

I really like Dial's height. He's 6'5". If you've got Dobbs in there at 6'6" and then the Smiths, both at 6'4", it begins to look like the line the Steelers used to contain and harass Fran Tarkenton. I really want to see them seal off the edges and then collapse the pocket when they play Russell Wilson and, at the same time, make it real hard for him to throw over their heads. I'd also like to see some schemes where Willis and Bowman hesitate for a second and then one of them shoots a gap in the middle. They've got to find a way to put Wilson on the ground and keep putting him on the ground.

Because if they find a way to neutralize Russell Wilson, the Seahawks are going to have a very hard time.
[ Edited by GNielsen on Jun 10, 2013 at 7:55 PM ]
I really like Dial's height. He's 6'5". If you've got Dobbs in there at 6'6" and then the Smiths, both at 6'4", it begins to look like the line the Steelers used to contain and harass Fran Tarkenton. I really want to see them seal off the edges and then collapse the pocket when they play Russell Wilson and, at the same time, make it real hard for him to throw over their heads. I'd also like to see some schemes where Willis and Bowman hesitate for a second and then one of them shoots a gap in the middle. They've got to find a way to put Wilson on the ground and keep putting him on the ground.

Because if they find a way to neutralize Russell Wilson, the Seahawks are going to have a very hard time.
If we neutralize Lynch they will suffer
Originally posted by Pillbusta:

Maybe if we breathalyze him first we won't have to.
Originally posted by Pillbusta:

That's certainly true. Russell lives off the play action and going deep into the backfield. If the running game's not working, Wilson's going to have a huge problem. It's not like Russell can take a snap, stand up and throw a slant too easily. He's just not tall enough for that kind of game. And let's face it - Dials strong point is stopping the run. He occupies blockers and plugs holes. That's his game by his own admission.
Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper:
Originally posted by Jcool:

Looked clean to me.

It's pretty dirty...but if he does that to Midget Wilson then its cool
Share 49ersWebzone