LISTEN: What's Stopping The 49ers From A Super Bow Run? →

There are 87 users in the forums

Tank Carradine Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
PLAY HIM
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
With regards to Tank, I offer this paraphrased quote by Randy Cross and Ronnie Lott from America's Game 1981 49ers:

"Fred Dean is traded to our team. We're about to face Dallas, and it's not like he was here early but got in during the middle of the week. We're thinking 'what's he going to do on our defense? He doesn't know our game plan!'

We just put him in there and said 'stick um! He has a few sacks, and at halftime lights up a Kool's in front of Bill Walsh with everybody just staring at him"

This. One of the great things about Bill Walsh is that he acquired talented players, found out what they were good at, and allowed them to do just that. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't. But even though he was a great play caller, he wasn't so caught up in X's and O's that he held back talent.
Play Him. Use him at his NATURAL Right DE Spot as a Pass rusher. Dude guaranteed will push the pocket. Let Justin,Skuta and Willis worry about the run.
Put it this way. Would playing him make our pass rush any worse. He may not have the playbook mastered but $#(+ who on this team does. Doesnt seem like the qb does or the OC and they get PAID. Never gonna know until he plays but lets wait till we are done and see what he can do to get ready for next year. This kind of stuff gets you fired in professional sports
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
With regards to Tank, I offer this paraphrased quote by Randy Cross and Ronnie Lott from America's Game 1981 49ers:

"Fred Dean is traded to our team. We're about to face Dallas, and it's not like he was here early but got in during the middle of the week. We're thinking 'what's he going to do on our defense? He doesn't know our game plan!'

We just put him in there and said 'stick um! He has a few sacks, and at halftime lights up a Kool's in front of Bill Walsh with everybody just staring at him"

This. One of the great things about Bill Walsh is that he acquired talented players, found out what they were good at, and allowed them to do just that. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't. But even though he was a great play caller, he wasn't so caught up in X's and O's that he held back talent.

I know its not fair and a little off track but reading your post just makes me dream of what Bill Walsh could do with this team. Damn. He spoiled us. RIP
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
Truth is, Balke and all these GMs know NO MORE then Most us Fans. We see highlights, we watch gametapes. We read measurable. If Balke and all these GMs are so good then howcome every team has Flops & Busts??

you are partly right. there are tons of us out there that have played, coached, scouted for our own purposes, have an education or general interest in the athletic sciences, who have a keen eye for talent.
the truth is, there are very few geniuses when it comes to scouting greatness. many of the GMs are no more talented than the next guy, but they've benefited from connections in the coaching community and have been focused on their chosen career from a young age.
in the end, it's football--not rocket science, and any trained eye can pick out talent on a playing field. when someone makes uncommon, athletic movements, it stands out. when someone consistently executes proper technique in a given situation, you stand up and take notice. when great athleticism and great technique display themselves in one athlete, it's almost impossible to miss if you know what you're looking for.
a mark of great scouting is having the ability the read a players personality, character, and foundational motivations that drive the man's decision making. get this right and you land winners on your team. a GM who can read people, in addition to knowing the on-field stuff, is a talented GM. strong-minded, resilient men are the ones on every draft board that end up with memorable careers. identifying all dimensions of talent is a GMs job; not many of them actually accomplish that to an high degree. i wouldn't say baalke is in that elite group, but i think he knows what he should be looking for; it's just that his eye isn't close to flawless.
[ Edited by xcfan on Sep 26, 2014 at 7:40 PM ]
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
Originally posted by 9moon:
Not every DL who weight 295 can play a position that's being asked from them @ FATAL..

Maybe he's 295 because he's out of shape.. and again, please don't tell me we rather play DL who can run down in special teams than have Tank learn the curve of how to play the position for this team... It's his 2nd year, if he can't contribute, then he must be a BUST!!

... just for the record, Fangio and Harbaugh did not want him, it was Baalke who fell inlove with Tank's pass rushing ability..

... and this is also where the tension between the coaches and Baalke started.. Baalke believe then, that we had enough DL talent to use on the rotation, but Fangio just does not like using young DL unless the game is already out of hand... and Harbaugh, of corz sticks up w/his coaches..

link please...

I guess it's hard to provide a link to total b******t
How is this guy not playing. Should at least be in the Nickel package. Wasting a guy that can help shore up our biggest weakness (pass rush). I mean if they don't think this guy gets it, then why are they wasting time on a project like Okoye who is new to the game altogether. A famous coach (can't remember who it was ATM) said X's and O's are important but you don't want your guys thinking too much but more relying on their ability and instinct.
Sure hope this kid gets to see the field Sunday!
Philly is hurting on the OLine so maybe Dick I mean Vic will not play Tank/Dial and hope to get by.

Frustrating as hell.

If we get a repeat performance of last 2 weeks - we should hang Fangio in effigy to get our point across.

• jimrat
  • Veteran
How can you not know the playbook in 2 years
  • kray28
  • Veteran
For the first time we see Fangio getting exposed a bit. It's now clear that his schemes relied heavily on Bowman's disciplined play, and the excellent pass rush generated by the front 4 (i,e, the Smith bros). He basically never had to blitz.

With Aldon out, the front four is easier to handle, and with Bow out...the defense is less organized and disciplined. I see a lot of missed tackles and offensive players getting extra yards after contact.

The Niners D under Fangio has been never about getting penetration and stopping plays for losses....more often than not they aren't about giving the offense maybe 1-2 yards a run and then forcing a 3rd and long where they were often able to defend the pass successfully.

The Run D I am seeing this year is giving up extra yards after contact and creating more 3rd and shorts which teams can pick up much easier.
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jimrat:
How can you not know the playbook in 2 years

He's just toeing the line....he doesn't want to burn any bridges with Fangio. If Fangio wanted to play him, he could, I don't think the results would be any worse.
Originally posted by kray28:
For the first time we see Fangio getting exposed a bit. It's now clear that his schemes relied heavily on Bowman's disciplined play, and the excellent pass rush generated by the front 4 (i,e, the Smith bros). He basically never had to blitz.

With Aldon out, the front four is easier to handle, and with Bow out...the defense is less organized and disciplined. I see a lot of missed tackles and offensive players getting extra yards after contact.

The Niners D under Fangio has been never about getting penetration and stopping plays for losses....more often than not they aren't about giving the offense maybe 1-2 yards a run and then forcing a 3rd and long where they were often able to defend the pass successfully.

The Run D I am seeing this year is giving up extra yards after contact and creating more 3rd and shorts which teams can pick up much easier.

I had the feeling this was the defensive philosophy before, but perhaps I didn't want to believe it. With the 49ers being down so many guys, Fangio's D is really hurting. Some use the fact that Smith and Bowman are gone, along with new players in the secondary to give Fangio a pass, but I'm not going for it. The fact is, Fangio still has better players on D than probably 75% of the teams out there, maybe more. I've wanted Greg Roman gone since the Super Bowl (I had my reasons, beyond our losing the game). I'm beginning to feel the same way about Vic. Considering the elite, great, or even simply good players we have out there, we should be more aggressive on both sides of the ball.
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Maybe it's me but .... Carridene isn't playing because he doesn't know the playbook??? Uh who's responsible for making sure this guy knows the playbook?

Seriously?

I imagine NT would blame Baalke.
Share 49ersWebzone