There are 177 users in the forums

Donte Whitner aka Hitner

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by socalniner:
$4 mil isn't unreasonable...what do you think he's worth?

In my opinion, he's ok in coverage. He shouldn't be one on one with a WR or elite TE in the first place, that's a mismatch for most SS.

I just think we could get more value with that $4 mil.. Possibly put us over the edge to get Nnamdi, or get another pass rusher.. And possibly pay Kerry Rhodes or Quintin Mikell to replace Whitner if we aren't comfortable starting a rookie
Originally posted by defenderDX:
Thank god you're not Baalke.

Why are you so against getting better in pass coverage? That was easily our biggest flaw last year and Whitner was the biggest liability
Originally posted by Cooper22:
Thank god you're not Baalke.

Why are you so against getting better in pass coverage? That was easily our biggest flaw last year and Whitner was the biggest liability

So just because I'm not willing to CUT Whitner and be left with DEAD money BEFORE we have any draftees, or credible back ups, means I'm agains't getting better in pass coverage.

ok
So just because I'm not willing to CUT Whitner and be left with DEAD money BEFORE we have any draftees, or credible back ups, means I'm agains't getting better in pass coverage.

ok

First of all, there would be less than $1 mill in dead money.. and second of all, like I've said 100 times, we would sign a veteran who can come in if we are not comfortable starting a rookie.. There are atleast 4 veteran safeties that I already mentioned who are cheaper, and better than Whitner in pass coverage

ok

First of all, there would be less than $1 mill in dead money.. and second of all, like I've said 100 times, we would sign a veteran who can come in if we are not comfortable starting a rookie.. There are atleast 4 veteran safeties that I already mentioned who are cheaper, and better than Whitner in pass coverage

And most of them are Free Safteys. Not strong. Like I said, thank god you're not a GM. Whitner was an issue, but you forget we had no pressure at all to help cover him up.
And most of them are Free Safteys. Not strong. Like I said, thank god you're not a GM. Whitner was an issue, but you forget we had no pressure at all to help cover him up.

When you're an elite, super bowl team, you shouldn't have to hide anyone or cover anyone up.. Quintin Mikell is a STRONG safety, Bernard Pollard is a STRONG safety
[ Edited by Cooper22 on Mar 18, 2013 at 2:18 PM ]

When you're an elite, super bowl team, you shouldn't have to hide anyone or cover anyone up.. Quintin Mikell is a STRONG safety, Bernard Pollard is a STRONG safety

STRONG Saftey's, with GOOD pass RUSHERS. We have good pass rushers, they just were NOT healthy last year. Add in to the fact we had absolutely NO rotation the ENTIRE season, you are likely to get burned. You fail too look at the whole defense. Instead just focus on one player disregarding the other PROBLEMS that would only makes things harder on a Strong Safety who typically aren't known for their coverage skills. Again solidifying the fact, you should not be a GM.
Its 2013 your Safeties should be almost interchangeable. Stop with the excuses. Whitner has been the weak link in our secondary since he was acquired. Overrated in run support and gave up more TDs than anyone else at his position...
[ Edited by Squidp on Mar 18, 2013 at 2:35 PM ]
STRONG Saftey's, with GOOD pass RUSHERS. We have good pass rushers, they just were NOT healthy last year. Add in to the fact we had absolutely NO rotation the ENTIRE season, you are likely to get burned. You fail too look at the whole defense. Instead just focus on one player disregarding the other PROBLEMS that would only makes things harder on a Strong Safety who typically aren't known for their coverage skills. Again solidifying the fact, you should not be a GM.

Never said I should be a GM.. Just saying the SS position can be upgraded.. You wouldn't make a good GM yourself if you continuously over value players
[ Edited by Cooper22 on Mar 18, 2013 at 2:38 PM ]

Never said I should be a GM.. Just saying the SS position can be upgraded

It can be. No question. But your method sucks.
[ Edited by defenderDX on Mar 18, 2013 at 2:41 PM ]

This is true. When the pass rush got hurt it became glaringly evident our secondary was not as good as perceived, and thats talking abojt the whole secondary all cbs and safeties hell Dashon didnt even hold much of his pro bowl form after the pass rush was weakend.

So drafting a talented young replacement is a bad method?
Personally, I'm glad NONE of us here are the GM. The 49ers would be so jacked up it ain't even funny!
How are we gonna win the superbowl if we keep getting rid of players who got us there in the first place? We need to stop wanting to cut good players for the sake of saving cap space. Everyone such a couch GM these days ffs.

So drafting a talented young replacement is a bad method?

No, cutting Whitner BEFORE we've drafted and young talent to eventually replace is a bad method. Geez it's like you don't listen
Share 49ersWebzone