There are 122 users in the forums

Donte Whitner aka Hitner

Shop 49ers game tickets
I'm all for player safety, but there comes a point where these sanctions border pure ridiculousness.

Unfortunately that border has been crossed and is now well behind the NFL's rearview mirror.

Whitner keeps making big hits, and they are textbook. He cant help it if a receiver lowers his head.... I cant stand the way the NCL (soon to be no contact league) is issuing fines. The penalties for good play are BS
I don't mind if they are consistent with something, but they aren't, and that is the main problem I have with this whole "concussion era" game.

It's like a Nopoleanic ear war, where you can tear people to pieces all along the front lines, but if you sneak around the back and kill an officer, its "ungentlemanly", and worthy of shame. It's so hypocritical.

The reason they do it, is because the WR hits are the most VISIBLE hits on TV. You don't see the heads getting slammed on the front lines as easily, but a WR out in the open, it is clear on TV. The NFL is all about image, so they want the game to APPEAR as if it is "safe" or "civilized" or whatever, so they ban any hard hits that occur under the scrutiny of the public eye, yet allow all the front line action to continue as barbaric and brutal and concussion inducing as it has always been.
The NFL it between a rock and a hard place. They are on the threshold of major legal losses to former players and have been able to buy off these guys for years, but now they may have to really address the underlying problem of real, permanent damage to human beings who play their game. They make billions from this game and so it's not just a "We did our best, golly gee" situation. They have to try and create rules to prevent brain trauma. It's easy to say "They knew what they were getting into..." That's the same argument used down through the ages to excuse worker injuries.

I don't know the solution but the league is at least being forced to admit the current research is valid.
Everyone thought hitting with the boulder was a huge change two years ago and the players adjusted. I think the players can adjust again a little to try and hit and rip the ball with their hands rather than try to jar it out with the shoulder or helmet.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
The NFL it between a rock and a hard place. They are on the threshold of major legal losses to former players and have been able to buy off these guys for years, but now they may have to really address the underlying problem of real, permanent damage to human beings who play their game. They make billions from this game and so it's not just a "We did our best, golly gee" situation. They have to try and create rules to prevent brain trauma. It's easy to say "They knew what they were getting into..." That's the same argument used down through the ages to excuse worker injuries.

I don't know the solution but the league is at least being forced to admit the current research is valid.

There is new material technology that should make it easier to create helmets that are "soft" shell and should reduce concussions a lot. They would look big and goofy, so that would be the major hurdle, because the NFL wants their players to look "cool". Big, goofy looking helmets will not make the players look as cool.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
There is new material technology that should make it easier to create helmets that are "soft" shell and should reduce concussions a lot. They would look big and goofy, so that would be the major hurdle, because the NFL wants their players to look "cool". Big, goofy looking helmets will not make the players look as cool.

Not down with Verizon helmets with geek technology that allows Chinese guys to play football and basically stain everything that football means.

No. In their communist like zeal to box in football to a virtually harmless volleyball game, they are reducing the game to a diluted version of what football really is.

At some point I hope the whole NFL fan base rebels and kicks out the present commissioners and his technologically advanced volleyball players by his side.

Somewhere out there the ghost of Dave Wilcox is foaming at the mouth.

My solution has always been to get rid of helmets...but that doesn't seem to be gaining any traction!

My solution has always been to get rid of helmets...but that doesn't seem to be gaining any traction!

Players are getting fined and penalized for shoulder hits. The only problem with ridding helmets is the guys who are first to tackle and at the bottom of the pile. There heads will get kneed or landed on.

taking the face mask off might help

Originally posted by Joecool:
Players are getting fined and penalized for shoulder hits. The only problem with ridding helmets is the guys who are first to tackle and at the bottom of the pile. There heads will get kneed or landed on.

True enough...but likely less damage than the full velocity hit.

It may become like rugby...which would be very different...but no less interesting.
LOL Id love to see this happen
@DonteWhitner 3h

Thinking about taking the W out of my last name. Mom said its ok (y'all kno I had to ask 1st lol) #NotPlayingEither

On another note I dont think Ive ever really seen him get fined, or at least fight one as hard as he is this one. I mean if the receiver and other Rams thought it was a clean hit I don't know what the NFL can really say I mean if the man getting hit says it was clean the NFL has no grounds to really stand on, hell Pierre Thomas cried more about his hit and the NFL didn't get Whitner for it.

[ Edited by LoneWolf on Oct 1, 2013 at 7:40 PM ]
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erWay:
Not down with Verizon helmets with geek technology that allows Chinese guys to play football and basically stain everything that football means.

No. In their communist like zeal to box in football to a virtually harmless volleyball game, they are reducing the game to a diluted version of what football really is.

At some point I hope the whole NFL fan base rebels and kicks out the present commissioners and his technologically advanced volleyball players by his side.

Somewhere out there the ghost of Dave Wilcox is foaming at the mouth.

Racist much
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ninerjok:
Goldson left the team so Whitner is now Goodell's new whipping-boy from the Niners. He still has it out for Goldson but he had to target a different 49er to go after, stupid f**ker.

LOL!
Originally posted by LVJay:
Originally posted by ninerjok:
Goldson left the team so Whitner is now Goodell's new whipping-boy from the Niners. He still has it out for Goldson but he had to target a different 49er to go after, stupid f**ker.

LOL!

21k for Whitner. 15k for Clay Matthews. What a f**king joke.
Share 49ersWebzone