John Cyprien
Shawn Williams
JJ Wilcox
Earl Wolff
Duke Williams
Tj Mcdonald
DJ Swearinger
Tony Jefferson

Every single one of these players would be a lateral/cheaper move, or an upgrade
None of the four veterans you mentioned are better than Whitner. The rest are rookies who were good in college but to bank on a rookie as an automatic upgrade is foolish. What happened in 1981 was awesome but it hasn't happened since, probably not happening again. Whitner isn't getting cut this year. Maybe we develop someone to replace him but its not happening this year. If we get a FS who can cover worth a damn and not get called for stupid @$$ penalties we will be fine. Someone else already alluded to the problem being the lack of a dline rotation and they are absolutely right. Fix that rotation and our db's will be fine.
Originally posted by Cooper22:
name one.. Everyone on our defense last year was drafted by us besides Whitner, Rogers, J Smith, and Brooks.. Smith was a stud in Cinci and Brooks didn't even play before he came here

We potentially could find out this season if this defense made the player a pro bowler or the player was just that good with Goldson gone.
Couldn't do much worse than Whitner

We could do a lot worse then whitner.
Originally posted by Niners99:
lol we already lost Goldson, now you want to cut Whitner? Who exactly do you plan on replacing them with? 100 year old Charles Woodson? The f/a market isnt exactly crawling with starting safeties.

It would leave a hole, and we probably couldnt do better. Thus, cutting Whitner is a terrible idea.

LIST of Replacements (Last Time):
Pollard
Mikell
Rhodes
Huff
Trent Robinson
Matt Elam
John Cyprien
Shawn Williams
JJ Wilcox
Earl Wolff
Duke Williams
Tj Mcdonald
DJ Swearinger
Tony Jefferson

Every single one of these players would be a lateral/cheaper move, or an upgrade

Now is not the time to cut Whitner. Have to let the dust settle after FA and the draft. Even then Whitner might play another season but I wouldn't be surprised if he's gone next year.
Originally posted by AZ9erfan520:
None of the four veterans you mentioned are better than Whitner. The rest are rookies who were good in college but to bank on a rookie as an automatic upgrade is foolish. What happened in 1981 was awesome but it hasn't happened since, probably not happening again. Whitner isn't getting cut this year. Maybe we develop someone to replace him but its not happening this year. If we get a FS who can cover worth a damn and not get called for stupid @$$ penalties we will be fine. Someone else already alluded to the problem being the lack of a dline rotation and they are absolutely right. Fix that rotation and our db's will be fine.

All 4 are better than Whitner in Buffalo and Whitner when our d-line wasn't getting as consistent pressure.. I'm saying they can come in and with this defense, either be an upgrade, or a cheaper, lateral option
With out Goldson, Whitner will exposed even more. Gotta let him go. Id rather Spillman get the nod going forward than pay Donte 4 mil
All 4 are better than Whitner in Buffalo and Whitner when our d-line wasn't getting as consistent pressure.. I'm saying they can come in and with this defense, either be an upgrade, or a cheaper, lateral option

We don't need cheaper, we still have needs along the d-line, we don't have a starting FS, our future at RB is a little mucked because of injury, we will probably need to develop a WR from this years draft, we don't have a kicker, and we need special teams help. Those needs are far more pressing than replacing Whitner this season. You say those 4 vets are better than Whitner when our d-line wasn't getting consistent pressure but you fix the dline, you fix the problem. Actually, you fix the d-line you fix multiple problems. Releasing Whitner now just creates another hole in the defense that would have to be filled, thus creating another problem.
Originally posted by Squidp:
With out Goldson, Whitner will exposed even more. Gotta let him go. Id rather Spillman get the nod going forward than pay Donte 4 mil

Spillmams more of a natural fs then he is an ss. I would rather keep whitner another year with spillman in the fs spot.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Nah I say keep, yes gaining 4 mil in cap space is good to add but Whitner is leader of the secondary, cap space can be gained elsewhere like releasing Haralson would gain a little over 2 mil in cap space. We don't need massive amounts of space, we only need maybe one or two more free agents before closing up for the draft.
Originally posted by AZ9erfan520:
We don't need cheaper, we still have needs along the d-line, we don't have a starting FS, our future at RB is a little mucked because of injury, we will probably need to develop a WR from this years draft, we don't have a kicker, and we need special teams help. Those needs are far more pressing than replacing Whitner this season. You say those 4 vets are better than Whitner when our d-line wasn't getting consistent pressure but you fix the dline, you fix the problem. Actually, you fix the d-line you fix multiple problems. Releasing Whitner now just creates another hole in the defense that would have to be filled, thus creating another problem.

You kind of contradicted yourself.. You said we don't need cheaper, but then you go on to all these other needs that we have to fill.. We're really pushing the cap this year and we need to save money wherever we can (hence letting Goldson walk and Manningham taking a pay cut).. We need some way to pay for all these needs and still ending up below the cap.. I'm not really understanding your logic there.. Releasing Whitner would save the money needed to address all the needs that you listed (as well as the need for an upgrade at SS IMO)

• Garce
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Nah I say keep, yes gaining 4 mil in cap space is good to add but Whitner is leader of the secondary, cap space can be gained elsewhere like releasing Haralson would gain a little over 2 mil in cap space. We don't need massive amounts of space, we only need maybe one or two more free agents before closing up for the draft.

I agree he's a leader, but I guess I just think much, much less of him as a player than most on this board.. That $4 mill might enable us to sign a difference maker such as Nnamdi, Reed, or Woodson
Originally posted by LoneWolf:
Spillmams more of a natural fs then he is an ss. I would rather keep whitner another year with spillman in the fs spot.

Yeah I agree with that, if a replacement for Whitner had to be someone on the roster right now, it'd probably be trent robinson.. Don't know too much about McBath or Michael Thomas though (we're keeping those 2 around I believe)
Originally posted by Garcia:

Yeah I agree with that, if a replacement for Whitner had to be someone on the roster right now, it'd probably be trent robinson.. Don't know too much about McBath or Michael Thomas though (we're keeping those 2 around I believe)

McBath isnt on the roster and Robinson is a fs also.
Share 49ersWebzone