LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 300 users in the forums

Alex Smith: The Aftermath (Post SB)

Shop 49ers game tickets
They're not going to just release him. They'll obviously look to see what kind of value they can get for him before it ever comes to that. I'm sure he is well-liked in the building, but this is a business and they're not in the business of letting assets go for nothing if they don't have to. But, I agree with Boast. They're not going to want to let him go to a division rival like the Cardinals for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is that the Niner playbook is in his head and he's a very smart guy.
Originally posted by boast:
if you don't think AZ could gain a competitive advantage over the Niners due to Alex's deep deep knowledge of our O, i don't know what to tell you.

Some knowledge, sure. Like line calls, tendencies, and maybe some audibles. "Deep deep" knowledge I doubt. Because he would still have to KNOW (and not be guessing) what we're going to do and when.

With Kap in we're not running exactly the same stuff we did with Alex. So while he'd know of some of those plays, I don't see what he could share that couldn't be gained through film study.
Why don't we splurge on a back up QB and pay Alex $8.5 million to be the back up?

LOL
Bengals recieved from Oakland for Carson Palmer Oct 2011...

1st Rd pick in the 2012 draft,
2nd Rd pick in the 2013 draft,
which would have become a 1st Rd pick had the Raiders reached the AFCCG in 2011.
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
Originally posted by baltien:
if you don't think AZ could gain a competitive advantage over the Niners due to Alex's deep deep knowledge of our O, i don't know what to tell you.

Some knowledge, sure. Like line calls, tendencies, and maybe some audibles. "Deep deep" knowledge I doubt. Because he would still have to KNOW (and not be guessing) what we're going to do and when.

With Kap in we're not running exactly the same stuff we did with Alex. So while he'd know of some of those plays, I don't see what he could share that couldn't be gained through film study.

Alex taught the O to the rest of the team during the lockout. he has "deep" knowledge of Harbaugh's philosophy. of course he can't predict which exact play will be called. but if you don't think that knowledge wouldn't give a division rival a competitive advantage, i don't know what to tell you. go watch something the Raiders v Bucs Super Bowl and get back to me.
If we can we gotta trade him for the simple reason tht we can cobtrol where he goes
I don't want to see him upgrade the cardinals and giving our playbook to a division opponent
We got to send him in the AFC
If we get a draft pick on top of that it's great

Sorry no room for sentimentalism here it must be all business
I think we'd be better off to trade him. I'd rather not see him end up in Arizona...
  • Chief
  • Veteran
Hell no
Alex taught the O to the rest of the team during the lockout. he has "deep" knowledge of Harbaugh's philosophy. of course he can't predict which exact play will be called. but if you don't think that knowledge wouldn't give a division rival a competitive advantage, i don't know what to tell you. go watch something the Raiders v Bucs Super Bowl and get back to me.

Bucs had the advantage of having the actual Coach that installed the Raiders offense. Big difference. Also, they openly admitted to knowing the Raiders line calls.

In my mind, if you're going up against the coach that built your offense and you're too stupid to change the line calls, you get exactly what you deserve (as the Raiders did).

And even if the opposite team knows the play they have to be able to stop it. I think we all can agree that right now the Cardinals aren't in much of a position to stop anybody.

But hey, if you want to believe that having Alex will suddenly make them competitive, far be it from me to tell you otherwise.

I'm not trying to change your mind.
[ Edited by baltien on Jan 29, 2013 at 9:59 AM ]
  • boast
  • Hella Fame

Bucs had the advantage of having the actual Coach that installed the Raiders offense. Big difference. Also, they openly admitted to knowing the Raiders line calls.

In my mind, if you're going up against the coach that built your offense and you're too stupid to change the line calls, you get exactly what you deserve (as the Raiders did).

And even if the opposite team knows the play they have to be able to stop it. I think we all can agree that right now the Cardinals are in much of a position to stop anybody.

But hey, if you want to believe that having Alex will suddenly make them competitive, far be it from me to tell you otherwise.

I'm not trying to change your mind.

Cards have an up and coming D and if they had an efficient QB like Alex throwing the ball to Fitz, they would be far more competitive than you would like to believe.

No! Trade him let's get something for him if we can. If no offers release him. It's nothing personal it's business....
I used to be of the opinion that we would end up releasing Alex due to the fact that teams would know we can't take the salary hit for a backup qb.

But the more I've thought about it the more I'm convinced that we will be able to trade Alex.

There is a very small window where we can trade him and not take any hit whatsoever so IMO Trent is already on the phone talking and getting a feeling for offers.

I tried to put myself in a GM's shoes that has zero for a starting qb. If I knew Alex was gonna hit the market and my team needs that commodity, do you take a chance on letting him hit the open market where you have to bid with other teams? I don't think so. No other qb is even close in Alex's abilities this offeason! If you are buffalo or the chiefs, do you want to bid against say the Jets (NY market and great city) or Cards(great city and climate)? Who wants to play in cold weather and what wife wants to move from California to upstate NY or the middle of nowhere?

Somebody is gonna give a 3rd for sure, it just makes sense. We all know a team must have a qb to be competative in the NFL and Alex will instantly give a team that component. They still keep their 1st and 2nd rounders for upgrades and your team has a new direction.

Up to Trent to get this done, play teams off each other cause I for one would hate to see Alex go to the Cards.
Cards have an up and coming D and if they had an efficient QB like Alex throwing the ball to Fitz, they would be far more competitive than you would like to believe.

Maybe. Even if he did go there (which I'm 99.9% sure he won't), I don't see him throwing well enough to maximize Fitz's talents. It's not hard to figure out why Crabtree's emergence only came about with Kap behind center.

Arizona has no ground game, their o-line is terrible, and they'll be learning a new offense. It's wishful at best to think all of that will suddenly click in one offseason. Alex isn't talented enough to make up for their shortcomings all on his own.

The 49ers would know that better than anybody.
[ Edited by baltien on Jan 29, 2013 at 10:15 AM ]
No, trade him, and--if possible--to a weak team in the AFC. I think our D can deal with Alex, but--when we play his new team--it still gives our opponent a competitive advantage--even if a small one--to have him with his extensive knowledge of our system.

Maybe. Even if he did go there (which I'm 99.9% sure he won't), I don't see him throwing well enough to maximize Fitz's talents. It's not hard to figure out why Crabtree's emergence only came about with Kap behind center.

Arizona has no ground game, their o-line is terrible, and they'll be learning a new offense. It's wishful at best to think all of that will suddenly click in one offseason. Alex isn't talented enough to make up for their shortcomings all on his own.

The 49ers would know that better than anybody.

Your even wrong about when Crab stated to emerge. He was already emerging with Alex. Dude finally had an offseason and has learned his craft.

You can still deny all you want but Alex was having a very very good year and that doesn't happen by accident. And you can't say its all because of Jim or you have to say that about Kaep and its just simply not the case.

Lets try and trade the man and get something for us (don't really care what pick) and keep him away from us if at all possible.

Smart people try and minimize their hazards and he could present one to us on a yearly basis if we let him go to Arizona and thats just being stupid.
Share 49ersWebzone