LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 269 users in the forums

Alex Smith: The Aftermath (Post SB)

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by boast:
Cards have an up and coming D and if they had an efficient QB like Alex throwing the ball to Fitz, they would be far more competitive than you would like to believe.

I would have no problem trading Alex to the Cards.. if they gave us the 38th pick in this years draft. If not, then screw them.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Cards have an up and coming D and if they had an efficient QB like Alex throwing the ball to Fitz, they would be far more competitive than you would like to believe.

I would have no problem trading Alex to the Cards.. if they gave us the 38th pick in this years draft. If not, then screw them.

Efficient with the best Offensive line and rushing attack in the NFL.

Do the Cards have that?
  • Silky
  • Veteran
Yes especially after this
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-super-bowl/0ap2000000132259/Alex-Smith-on-not-getting-a-podium-There-s-only-so-many
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
News has circulated that Alex wants his outright release so he can pick his team. Should the 49ers let him go or try and trade him before the deadline.

I was hoping he would take a pay cut and be a back up for years to come'. But he deserves a starting role... Let him find a home and we trade him to the team of his choice for minimal compensation. Ala Tebow choosing to go the Jets
Let him go. He's towed the company line for long enough and been a good soldier. I'd love to have the picks but Alex has earned the chance to choose his own destination.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by TheChozen:
Let him go. He's towed the company line for long enough and been a good soldier. I'd love to have the picks but Alex has earned the chance to choose his own destination.

this
Another option is to work out a trade in principal, than allow Alex to work out an agreeable contract with that team before actually trading him.
This is a business. If we can get compensation for him, we should. Give me a break.
The answer is NO! Sure it may be the right thing to do but the Niners have been very good to Alex Smith. The door swings both ways tho. Alex is worth upwards to a 3rd round selection to the right team. No way the Niners release him.
[ Edited by pete98146 on Jan 29, 2013 at 12:08 PM ]
Originally posted by krizay:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Hell to the No. With the desperation for quarterbacks this year, he'll bring back something of value in return, a 3rd or 4th rounder is quite better than nothing.

rumor is talks about smith and our 2nd to jets for Revis. as per kffl.com

too much IMO. Smith and 4th for Revis and his injured self.

I know I said to trade him but I'd honestly feel bad for him if he was on the jets

• thl408
The 49ers have given him a lot of money throughout the last 7 years. They owe him nothing and should do what's best for the team (trading for assets in return). Thanks, Alex, but you get no special treatment. 49ers will trade to the team that offers the most in return, even if it's a 5th rounder.
This is a business, so NO!
Besides, we're building for the San Francisco 49ers future with the hope of compensation. We are not building Alex's future.
Originally posted by FunkNinerFlex:
This is a business, so NO!
Besides, we're building for the San Francisco 49ers future with the hope of compensation. We are not building Alex's future.

A business profits not only with cut-throat decisions. Some decisions will reflect on the employees left behind.
Originally posted by JayPap:
1. I don't think Baalke likes or feels for Alex.
2. No way he'll stay to be a backup knowing that so many teams are QB needy.
3. If released he could easily land in Arizona (with full knowledge of our playbook), If traded he'll most likely end up in the AFC (Oak, Browns, Jets, Jags, Chiefs, Titans, etc...)
4. A trade can benefit both parties, granting him his 8 million and maybe getting Revis (don't think it'll actually happen) or some value draft picks...
5. Alex hasn't said anything about being released (not going to happen even if he asks... at least until March 30th) to me this is media BS.
6. The guy has paid his debt to SF now, he cleaned his name, Harb helped him to do that, situation is even, he'll be a starter next year for sure and depending on the team he goes (which I think should be he's only concern and petition to have a say at) he'll keep playing solid football.
7. I wish him well and hope to see him as part of the coaching staff in the future, guy's smart no doubt about it.
8. Get over this either way he'll no longer be a niner.

Like your point. It's all even now. Harbaugh developed him into what we/he originally hoped him to be. He's marketable now. Wasn't pre Harbaugh. Get all the offers. Ask him what he wants and then trade him to the one that is optimal for both parties if possible.
  • fryet
  • Veteran
I find it interesting that no one is mentioning Camp Alex. He was preparing the entire team when he wasn't even under contract, and the 49ers had spent a 2nd round draft pick on a QB. Alex has gone over and beyond the call of duty, so I don't see why the organization can't have some class on how they release him. Most likely it won't be an outright release, but they will probably offer him some say on where he is traded.

Btw, last year, it was clear that Alex wanted to return to the 49ers, so teams weren't that interested in bidding for his services when they knew it would only be used to negotiate a higher salary with the 49ers.
Share 49ersWebzone