There are 406 users in the forums

COACH CAROUSEL

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:
Originally posted by gold49digger:
Originally posted by PTulini:
@caplannfl (Adam Caplan): Two high-ranking #NFL personnel execs say Oregon HC Chip Kelly is the clear #1 choice for the Browns.

@AlbertBreer: Word is Jimmy Haslam is ready to spend big, if that's what's needed to get the coach he wants to Cleveland.

they better get some speed on that offense

And avoid NFL-like SEC teams.

which is like the whole nfc west and afc north.
Originally posted by btthepunk:
Originally posted by Paul:
He missed the playoffs 5 of the past 6 years, and lots of criticism on him for not sticking much with an offensive coordinator

Yet people don't think he deserved to be fired. I dont get it.

Was it from bad coaching? I remember last season they lost both Cutler and Forte to season ending injuries. This season they won 10 games. That should be enough to get in the playoffs but this was an odd year with a lot of 10+ win teams.
Originally posted by 49oz2superbowl:
I will not lose sleep if we lose Roman (though I doubt we do). What we can't afford is to have all the big names taken by the time Roman finds his job.

My top candidates to replace Roman...

1) Pat Shurmur- Great OC, just got a bad shake as a HC in Cleveland. He also has a good track record with young qb's.
2) Chris Ault- we would easily be his top choice as both an elite team and having Kaep as our qb
3) Norv Turner- great and proven OC who coaches to our strengths (effectively utilizes the run game and TE). Perhaps the best trait about Norv Turner is that he is a proven OC and will never get another NFL head coaching gig due to his failures as a HC.
3) Geep Chryst (most likely candidate for consistency)

Just because I like playing devil's advocate

1.He's a good offensive coordinator and does work well with young QB's but if you hire him, you'd best be prepared to see him leave in 2 seasons to be a head coach again.

2. Absolutely no NFL experience, not even experience leading a top-flight college program(no offense to Nevada-Reno intended).

3. Very good candidate, a likely long-term solution as he won't get hired as a head coach again after flaming out 3 times, but he uses a different type of offensive system so there would need to be a fair amount of adjustment. Do you want to put a young QB through that after seeing what happened with Alex?

4. He was a horrible offensive coordinator in his short term with San Diego. People point to other issues with those teams, I point to him being pointed out as being horribly vanilla and the fact that in the 12 years that have followed, not a single team has offered him an offensive coordinator position. Hiring him just because he's "there" reeks of Jim Hostler type desperation.
Originally posted by LAFortyNinerfan:
He missed the playoffs 5 of the past 6 years, and lots of criticism on him for not sticking much with an offensive coordinator

Was it from bad coaching? I remember last season they lost both Cutler and Forte to season ending injuries. This season they won 10 games. That should be enough to get in the playoffs but this was an odd year with a lot of 10+ win teams.

2 words: Offensive Lineman.
Bidwell said the cardinals are not gonna give up on Kolb, which will play a role in their coaching decision. They're looking for a coach to turn Kolb into a " qb of the future." That's great news to us for so many reasons.
Originally posted by sfout:
Whiz is a good coordinator, he lacks authority IMHO. How you you stand by for 4 years and let your GM(who reportedly had the most say in the QB position. Since Warner its been DAnderson a bust, John Skelton a 5th round FCS pick, Max Hall a UDFA from BYU, trades a way the farm for a terrible QB and switches back to his his 5th round FCS pick, Ryan Lindley a 6th round WAC pick, and Brian Hoyer a 3 year backup who wasn't on an NFL roster for the first 10 weeks of the season) undermine your team and keep you from succeeding. Put an Alex Smith/Chad Henne/Matt Moore or something of the like on that roster and they'd be in our same situation, contending for at minimum the NFC West title. Their defense is promising, look for DC Ray Horton to be the likeliest HC for them unless the new GM absolutely has to have his own guy.

Whoever lands Ray Horton as HC is going to be lucky as hell, especially if he just stays away from offense and hires a great OC.

Actually Whisenhunt had the final say on personnel decisions as well. So when people complain about how he was screwed because Arizona couldn't find a QB, that was of his own doing. Additionally he was notorious for not yielding, he wanted to bend players to fit his system rather than mold his system to fit the players he had. Guy has no idea how to run a team or to let players develop....real talk, he might be a good offensive coordinator but he's a lousy head coach.
Bidwell said the cardinals are not gonna give up on Kolb, which will play a role in their coaching decision. They're looking for a coach to turn Kolb into a " qb of the future." That's great news to us for so many reasons.

Lets hope they still neglect the lineman positions

Kolb is not a bad QB at all if they hire someone who will tailor the system to him and actually protect him. Look at Kolb's numbers and performance vs the other garbage they had at QB. Kolb had them 4-1 before he got injured. If they do go ahead and make defensive coordinator Ray Horton as head coach and don't hire a strong offensive coordinator, major LULZ will be had.
I can't remember such a turnover on Black Monday as this.
Originally posted by RishikeshA:

Maybe the hiring of harbaugh made owners realize how much coaching makes a difference on a team

You make a Superbowl once and people assume you should be allowed to be a head coach for life. His coaching prowess is much exaggerated, just like Whisenhunt.

2010.......10 or 11 head coaches were fired......how many were fired today...6 or 7? The average is about 6.5...........apparently a midget gets involved in there somewhere.

If it was just an off year for them not making the playoffs I could see him staying but missing them 5 of the last 6 years is more of a habit.
They were 7-1 at one point this season right? Then they collapse and not make the playoffs, thats on coaching.

Me either. And Rivera still may get canned. I think people are firing for the sake of firing now.

Me either. And Rivera still may get canned. I think people are firing for the sake of firing now.
firing coaches is the new swag
Share 49ersWebzone