There are 271 users in the forums

Post your top 5 or 10 defensive players in the NFL

Shop 49ers game tickets
Ya'know, sportscasters always talk about how underrated Justin Smith is, but they never truly give him his due.

This guy was All-Pro at defensive end AND defensive tackle for us last year. The 49ers biggest strength on defense is its front seven, and a HUGE chunk of that is Justin Smith's play. He's a pass-rusher, run-stopper, AND gap-stuffer. He makes clutch plays, has a high motor, and the rest of the defense rallies behind his play.

Sportscasters like him, but they don't talk about him being one of the best defensive players like they should. It's not surprising though. Cornerbacks and safeties get interceptions. Pure pass-rushing defensive ends get sacks. Linebackers get tackles. Justin Smith is a hybrid defensive linemen, so he doesn't quite have a "marquee statline" that shows how valuable of a player he is.
I totally understand the OP list - hard to argue. But my list are guys that always seem to show up at the most critical moments of a game; that can make a game changing plays on ANY given play; and offenses literally game plan around staying away from that player. Lastly, my list is geared toward next year - guys that teams are realizing are great and will stay away from next year.

S Ed Reed, Ravens -- offenses literally struggle to stay away from this unpredictable guy and he still makes game changing plays
DE Justin Smith, 49ers -- they know he is coming, and at critical times he still makes the play
DE Jason Pierre-Paul, Giants -- he became a force last year and looks to be even better next year
ILB Patrick Willis, 49ers -- no matter how hard they try to run from him, he is always right there - even in coverage
DE Jared Allen, Vikings -- makes great plays, but they just don't seem to be as many at critical game-changing moments
DE Julius Peppers, Bears -- same as above
DE/OLB DeMarcus Ware, Cowboys -- same as above
OLB Terrell Suggs, Ravens -- dominant, but without that game against SF his sack total wasn't that great
CB Darrelle Revis, Jets -- I think C Rodgers, Goldson, or even T Brown might supplant him this year on pure INTs at key moments

(who emerges this year?)

(Rodgers, Goldson, or Brown per above)
OLB Von Miller, Denver
OLB Aldon Smith, SF
ILB Navorro Bowman
OLB JJ Watts, Texans
OLB Ryan Kerrigan, Redskins
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
Rodgers
Brees
Brady
C. Johnson
A. Johnson
Fitzerald
Willis
Reed
Revis
Ware

Honorable mentions Polamalu, R. Lewis, Suggs, J. Smith, Gore, R. Rice, Vernon Davis, Eli, Lynch, J. Allen

Not sure if serious.

lolololololol
Originally posted by AlohaBruh:
1. Patrick Willis
2. Patrick Willis
3. Patrick Willis
4. Patrick Willis
5. Patrick Willis
6. Patrick Willis
7. Patrick Willis
8. Patrick Willis
9. Patrick Willis
10. Patrick Willis

Honorable mention: Patrick Willis
and also Patrick Willis
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Originally posted by marshniners24:
Bowman is no where near the top 10 lol

Seen a couple NFLN pundits say he is the 2nd best MLB in the NFL. That may not be top 10 overall, but it's close.
Originally posted by HearstFan:
I totally understand the OP list - hard to argue. But my list are guys that always seem to show up at the most critical moments of a game; that can make a game changing plays on ANY given play; and offenses literally game plan around staying away from that player. Lastly, my list is geared toward next year - guys that teams are realizing are great and will stay away from next year.

S Ed Reed, Ravens -- offenses literally struggle to stay away from this unpredictable guy and he still makes game changing plays
DE Justin Smith, 49ers -- they know he is coming, and at critical times he still makes the play
DE Jason Pierre-Paul, Giants -- he became a force last year and looks to be even better next year
ILB Patrick Willis, 49ers -- no matter how hard they try to run from him, he is always right there - even in coverage
DE Jared Allen, Vikings -- makes great plays, but they just don't seem to be as many at critical game-changing moments
OLB Terrell Suggs, Ravens -- dominant, but without that game against SF his sack total wasn't that great
CB Darrelle Revis, Jets -- I think C Rodgers, Goldson, or even T Brown might supplant him this year on pure INTs at key moments

(who emerges this year?)

OLB Von Miller, Denver
OLB Aldon Smith, SF
ILB Navorro Bowman
OLB JJ Watts, Texans
not a single team will be gameplanning for suggs.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
No particular order:

Patrick Willis
Justin Smith
Haloti Ngata
Troy Polamalu
Darelle Revis
Ed Reed
Terrell Suggs
DeMarcus Ware
Jason Pierre-Paul
Clay Matthews

Honorable Mention:

Julius Peppers
Navorro Bowman
Jared Allen
Von Miller
James Harrison

I don't know, SofaKing. Jared Allen, in my opinion, is a top 5 defensive player and should definitely be on a top 10 list.
Great list!

Imgine if that was an actual defensive team in the league.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Great list!

Imgine if that was an actual defensive team in the league.

Even if the offense was mediocre, the defense would help them win 13-14 games. But damn talk about cap hell with those type of contracts, lol.
Originally posted by HearstFan:

(who emerges this year?)

OLB Von Miller, Denver
OLB Aldon Smith, SF
ILB Navorro Bowman
OLB JJ Watts, Texans

I was going to post to give some love to Kerrigan and Watts. You did it for me.
Once Bowman cleans up his tackling he will be right there.

• Chief
  • Veteran
I'll take the challenge and really do only 5.

5. Justin Smith
4. Haloti Ngata
3. Patrick Willis
2. Demarcus Ware
1. Darrelle Revis
if it is about big plays i would somehow involve charles woodson
Share 49ersWebzone