There are 174 users in the forums

AJ Jenkins is a 49er

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • Pick6
  • Veteran
Nathan Scheelhaase completed 184 passes for 2110 yards and 13 TDs...

AJ Jenkins caught 90 balls for 1276 yards and 8 TDs...

I haven't watched a bunch of tape (only the Northwestern game) but those numbers blow my mind. The next best reciever caught 26 for 226 and 1. This tells me either Defenses didn't care... or Jenkins does a helluva job getting open in space. Illinois was awful... for Jenkins to be this productive is a surprise... and I think with a better supporting cast he will only get better. There was no running game either as the top rusher was qb scheelhaase with 624 yards on 191 carries. My guess is Jenkins wasn't sent deep because there wasn't time to throw it deep and Scheelhaase was running sooner rather than later.

More I look beyond what people think... I believe this will be a very good pick.
Originally posted by RedWaltz24:
Originally posted by jreff22:
still a big reach, yes Aldon was but not this big of a reach

Most analysis I have heard, say that Jenkins was projected to go near the top of the 2nd, so how is that a "reach" at 30?

draftscout 58
otc 83
MD 52
NFP 167

He was a late riser on a lot of teams boards. That is what many reporters are stating.

Still think we could of moved up in the 2nd like we did with Kap. This move makes Moss very important for the RZ.
Quicker than he is fast. So was Jason Hill. From what I have read about Jenkins, let us hope he is more like torry holt than he is Jason hill.
[ Edited by Joecool on Apr 26, 2012 at 9:15 PM ]
A surprise pick but so far he reads like someone we need. A sure-handed, polished route running receiver with some speed. Red-zone target is still a deficiency but we also did not have many sure-handed receivers to convert third downs last year.

A Torry Holt or Reggie Wayne perhaps?
Originally posted by RonMexico:
He wasn't projected this high by people who don't have real nfl jobs, terrible pick baalke

LOL this lol
Originally posted by DatNyjerSireez:
Originally posted by ALLDONE:
Originally posted by 12b6demurrer:
We have some size at receiver already. Randy Moss, Michael Crabtree (not a giant, but he has a great vertical), Vernon Davis (although not much of a leaper). If this kid turns out to be Mike Wallace, then why not? Wallace had a 4.33 40, Jenkins with a 4.37, same size/weight.

If he's like Mike Wallace... why don't we just trade for Wallace and try to negotiate a realistic contract?

Ugh....... I'd rather take my chances on a youngster over paying Wallace Fitz money.

Money comes and goes. Once a draft pick is spent it's forever gone.
hope this kid is nothing like Woods...can't help but still feel the sting from that pick (was it at 30 too?)
  • ImaMod
  • Veteran
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Originally posted by 12b6demurrer:
We have some size at receiver already. Randy Moss, Michael Crabtree (not a giant, but he has a great vertical), Vernon Davis (although not much of a leaper). If this kid turns out to be Mike Wallace, then why not? Wallace had a 4.33 40, Jenkins with a 4.37, same size/weight.

If he's like Mike Wallace... why don't we just trade for Wallace and try to negotiate a realistic contract?

still a big reach, yes Aldon was but not this big of a reach

Most analysis I have heard, say that Jenkins was projected to go near the top of the 2nd, so how is that a "reach" at 30?

draftscout 58
otc 83
MD 52
NFP 167

Yeah....and how highly were Victor Cruz or Mike Wallace or even Terrell Owens ranked before they were drafted?

Now, don't get me wrong. I have a ton of respect for Maddog and OTC...but Harbaugh and Baalke did pretty well last year in their talent evaluations and they both love this guy....and were afraid of trading down because they thought he would be gone. In other words, they thought other teams might have him highly rated as well. If they really dig this guy, I'm cool with the pick.
Originally posted by defenderDX:
Originally posted by RonMexico:
He wasn't projected this high by people who don't have real nfl jobs, terrible pick baalke

LOL this lol

Originally posted by Pick6:
Nathan Scheelhaase completed 184 passes for 2110 yards and 13 TDs...

AJ Jenkins caught 90 balls for 1276 yards and 8 TDs...

I haven't watched a bunch of tape (only the Northwestern game) but those numbers blow my mind. The next best reciever caught 26 for 226 and 1. This tells me either Defenses didn't care... or Jenkins does a helluva job getting open in space. Illinois was awful... for Jenkins to be this productive is a surprise... and I think with a better supporting cast he will only get better. There was no running game either as the top rusher was qb scheelhaase with 624 yards on 191 carries. My guess is Jenkins wasn't sent deep because there wasn't time to throw it deep and Scheelhaase was running sooner rather than later.

More I look beyond what people think... I believe this will be a very good pick.

Good find. Often times, when a player is on a very good team, you have to consider how good the other players around him made him look. This seems to be the opposite where he was on a poor team, but excelled which tells me a lot more than the former.
Money comes and goes. Once a draft pick is spent it's forever gone.

Cap space
Jeremy Maclin
Originally posted by 49ersRednGold:
A surprise pick but so far he reads like someone we need. A sure-handed, polished route running receiver with some speed. Red-zone target is still a deficiency but we also did not have many sure-handed receivers to convert third downs last year.

A Torry Holt or Reggie Wayne perhaps?

Or Jason Hill.

Alex Smith will throw every pass high.
[ Edited by Joecool on Apr 26, 2012 at 9:18 PM ]
NFL Draft Countdown had Nate Burleson. Not sure about that... I've heard Mike Wallace light. They had him as 9th best WR

Strengths: • Great hands, catches balls away from body • Runs smooth routes with clean cuts • Excellent timed speed • Finds holes in zone coverage • Very productive

Weaknesses: • Field speed does not equal timed speed • Has trouble with press coverage • Drops passes when lacking focus • Very thin frame Injury History: • Missed 4 games in 2009 with a knee injury

Notes: 3 year Academic All Big-Ten -- Very productive player who does all of the little thngs well -- Could develop into a starter.

------------------------------
Walterfootball (11th best WR)
4/24/12: Jenkins had a very productive senior season. He caught 90 passes for 1,276 yards and eight touchdowns. In 2010, as a junior, Jenkins hauled in 56 passes for 746 yards and seven touchdowns. He has the speed to get downfield. Jenkins is a good value in the mid-rounds and had an impressive week at the East-West Shrine. He showed his foot speed with a great Combine and followed that up with a strong pro day. In the NFL, Jenkins looks like he could be a good slot receiver and make some big plays downfield. He also has the size to line up on the outside. Jenkins could turn into a steal given that he produced despite bad quarterback play.
Share 49ersWebzone