LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 257 users in the forums

Greatest Jaguars QB Mark Brunell to Retire

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Blake_Fever:
"It's not like he spent all his money on Lambos for his posse and making it rain at strip bars. He made a few bad investments in businesses and lost his arse in the real estate market like a lot of Americans did."

I agree, however, rich people making huge, potentially risking investments WHEN THEY'RE ALREADY RICH is unnecessarily absurd.

Yes, he isn't Mike Tyson, Allen Iverson, or MC Hammer (see a common thread?), but it's still laughable.

Blake_Fever
I'm not sure I follow you.

I don't know the specifics of what happened to his money, but I doubt you will find many financial advisers who will tell you it is a good idea to sit on your money.

I don't think you understand what kind of taxation he was most likely subjected to, not to mention he probably has kids he would like to secure a future for. If I had a job that paid me millions I would certainly invest that money. I'd like to think I wouldn't lose it all but there was a point in time when real estate was touted as a "can't lose" investment.
I remember when he was the next Steve Young. Turned out to be a minor league version.
Originally posted by RogueStout:
Originally posted by Blake_Fever:
"It's not like he spent all his money on Lambos for his posse and making it rain at strip bars. He made a few bad investments in businesses and lost his arse in the real estate market like a lot of Americans did."

I agree, however, rich people making huge, potentially risking investments WHEN THEY'RE ALREADY RICH is unnecessarily absurd.

Yes, he isn't Mike Tyson, Allen Iverson, or MC Hammer (see a common thread?), but it's still laughable.

Blake_Fever
I'm not sure I follow you.

I don't know the specifics of what happened to his money, but I doubt you will find many financial advisers who will tell you it is a good idea to sit on your money.

I don't think you understand what kind of taxation he was most likely subjected to, not to mention he probably has kids he would like to secure a future for. If I had a job that paid me millions I would certainly invest that money. I'd like to think I wouldn't lose it all but there was a point in time when real estate was touted as a "can't lose" investment.

There are long term low risk investments. To go high risk when you are already rich and have a lot to lose is silly unless your goal is trying to compete with Bill Gates.
Originally posted by Joecool:
There are long term low risk investments. To go high risk when you are already rich and have a lot to lose is silly unless your goal is trying to compete with Bill Gates.

Joe my point was that it sounds like he lost the bulk of his a$$ in real estate which was not considered high risk. Again we don't know the details. I just tracked down the investigative piece that details how he lost the money, but it sounds like it was mostly real estate and a fast food joint. That is mostly bad luck (imo) and not competing with Bill Gates.
who dis?
Best Jaguar's QB? Try best Jaguar's player in franchise history! Dude was a beast in his prime and he always reminded me of Young.
Thread title made me chuckle. Greatest Jag QB. A little like being the least retarded kid in the "special" class.
Schefter tweet:

Quote:
Despite reports he plans to retire, Mark Brunell has no plans to retire at this time and still is hoping to sign with a team before camp.
Jags have the dumbest fans
  • Chico
  • Veteran
Originally posted by RogueStout:

Joe my point was that it sounds like he lost the bulk of his a$$ in real estate which was not considered high risk. Again we don't know the details. I just tracked down the investigative piece that details how he lost the money, but it sounds like it was mostly real estate and a fast food joint. That is mostly bad luck (imo) and not competing with Bill Gates.

meh, poor guy...it's easy for me/anyone to sit back and critisize someone after the fact. but, isn't that why you diversify? to minimize the risks? anyway, i wish him nothing but the best and hope he can salvage something from all of this...i wonder how much he makes off the NFL pension? anyone know?

• Chico
  • Veteran
What is the average pension for an NFL player?Read more:

Answer: - Improve
According to former player Todd Christensen, the average payout to a vested retiree in 2005 was $14,500. Click on the 'NFL Pension' link to read his article. The pension payout is based on number of years and when you played. There have been many changes to the collective bargaining agreement but to date the older players still seem to suffer. The payout is on a sliding scale ex... 230 dollars per month for 1st credited season, 300 dollars for 2nd credited season and so on. Keep in mind that you have to have a minimum of 4 seasons to qualify. When you do qualify you will begin to get your pension at the age of 55 until you die. You may pick different types of pensions such as a survivor benefit in which payouts would be decreased when you pass.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by Chico:
What is the average pension for an NFL player?Read more:

Answer: - Improve
According to former player Todd Christensen, the average payout to a vested retiree in 2005 was $14,500. Click on the 'NFL Pension' link to read his article. The pension payout is based on number of years and when you played. There have been many changes to the collective bargaining agreement but to date the older players still seem to suffer. The payout is on a sliding scale ex... 230 dollars per month for 1st credited season, 300 dollars for 2nd credited season and so on. Keep in mind that you have to have a minimum of 4 seasons to qualify. When you do qualify you will begin to get your pension at the age of 55 until you die. You may pick different types of pensions such as a survivor benefit in which payouts would be decreased when you pass.

Is that per month ?
  • Chico
  • Veteran
it looks like that $14500 is per/year
It is sad that Brunell took on too much risk. To get loans you often have to put up your personal assets as collateral. Sometimes the athletes confidence is not prudent for investing.

In hindsight, all NFL players should be investing 20-30% of their take home pay in dividend paying stocks, live off of the other 30% of your take home pay, and the remaining 40% is what you can use for complete risk capitol, like investing in business's, etc. This way even if you lose the 40% you still have the 30% left over and you do not have the lifestyle of living off of 100% of your take home pay.

Great qb, terrible businessman.

It is also a yahoo quote, great Jaguar qb, well the jaguars have not been around that long, Brunell was the first and the best so far.
  • Paul
  • Veteran
I remember when he was the next Steve Young. Turned out to be a minor league version.

from 96-99 he was one of the best QBs in the NFL... and in fact he did some great things while on a expansion team! He's def. not HOF or anything, but a huge difference maker for Jacksonville
Share 49ersWebzone