LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 187 users in the forums

Did Jim Harbaughs success make it okay to hire college coaches again?

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Just saw this on ESPN. Adam Schefter said with his success that NFL teams could now look at the college coaches again for potential hires. I think Harbaugh is kind of an anomaly among college coaches. He had a pretty successful 14 year career in the NFL (with 140 starts) as a QB, started his coaching career in the NFL, his brother is currently a successful head coach in the NFL and most of his Stanford staff was made up of NFL coaches. Your not going to find that kind of history among most college coaches. And as soon as a college coach who moves up to the NFL starts to have failure they know they have almost any big time college job opening waiting for him, so they are way more likely to jump back to college then try to turn around a bad NFL team situation.

I don't care. We got ours.

But I agree. Harbaugh is unique. Being an NFL head coach is his calling.
Agree. I think teams will have to be very careful and do plenty of research before hiring any college coaches for sure.
Yes i hope everybody turns to college coaches and they end up getting the Saban type NFL coach while we've got Harbaugh
No, not really.

Jim Harbaugh has found success in the NFL after transitioning from college football because:
1. He can effectively evaluate and manage personnel, especially the QB position.
2. He had a NFL-style offensive philosophy, and he has had success at multiple schools and a past history of success. In particular, I argue that the success that he's had in college football was not due to his recruiting abilities, but because of his ability to coach and to put his players in the best position to succeed.
3. He was able to bring a large portion of his college staff with him, hence limiting turnover.
4. He had prior experience in the NFL.

..and many more.
As said above Harbaugh really seems to coach up players, many successful college coaches are very successful not only because of coaching. But in large part due to recruiting capabilities at these bigger conference schools. Jim took a few great college players at Stanford with a supporting cast that might not make it at 'Bama or LSU and made a great team out of them.

Glad we got him, and not someone like Spurrier or Saban
Seems like NFL coaching has regressed over the last decade if you ask me. I think Jim Harbaugh is shaking the pillars of the staleness of Eastcoast football.
No

just look at his counterpart in Seattle
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
No, not really.

Jim Harbaugh has found success in the NFL after transitioning from college football because:
1. He can effectively evaluate and manage personnel, especially the QB position.
2. He had a NFL-style offensive philosophy, and he has had success at multiple schools and a past history of success. In particular, I argue that the success that he's had in college football was not due to his recruiting abilities, but because of his ability to coach and to put his players in the best position to succeed.
3. He was able to bring a large portion of his college staff with him, hence limiting turnover.
4. He had prior experience in the NFL.

..and many more.

I think another major reason for his success is, his approach to improving individuals and teams as a whole, was his approach as an NFL Player. Harbaugh has stated that he was not as athletically gifted as a lot of NFL QBs, so he had to work harder, come to work earlier, leave later, study more film than everyone else. He also said he never stopped working on his technique. He was detailed oriented as a player and he's detailed oriented as a coach. You can see all of these things instilled in his players.

[ Edited by ObePwnD on Nov 6, 2011 at 9:45 AM ]
harbaugh isnt a typical college coach. harbaugh played in the nfl and understands the nuances of the pro game perhaps as well if not better than any former college coach ever has. Thats not to say hiring college coaches is ill-advised, but the coach himself must be surrounded by the right people on his staff and a team with enough talent already on the roster in order to be successful right out of the gates. Its a little premature to say whether or not Harbaughs success will lead to a trend of pro teams hiring from the college ranks, but when and if team's do hire college coaches, i think front offices will make sure they have the right people around them, both players and coaches.

The rest will failed because they ain't Harbaugh. Only 1 great coach from college per decade. Walsh in the 80's. Jimmy Johnson in the 90's. They all took a dump in '00. This decade we have Harbaugh.
Harbaugh was basically an NFL coach working in college. One of the big reason's why both Stanford and Luck have been so successful is because they run a pro style.

I'm looking forward to seeing more college coaches come into the NFL, because most likely they will be gimmicky spread coaches and they, like so many other college coaches, will fail in the NFL.

My DREAM would be to see Miami end up with both Urban Myer and Tim Tebow. That would go down in flames, and be awesome to watch the whole time.
nvm
[ Edited by thedude on Nov 6, 2011 at 10:11 AM ]
Harbs is 1 in 100 as a college coach comming into the NFL. im so glad it worked out for us but i dont think your going to see many more follow in his foot steps in the near future.
bobby petrino, nick saban, dennis erickson to name a few who have failed miserably.
Share 49ersWebzone