LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 228 users in the forums

Broncos put WR Brandon Lloyd on the trading block

Shop 49ers game tickets
Broncos put WR Brandon Lloyd on the trading block

With the NFL trade deadline looming, the Broncos have been in talks with other teams regarding Pro Bowl receiver Brandon Lloyd, according to three NFL sources.

The Broncos are believed to be seeking anywhere from a third to fifth round draft pick in return. There have been "three or four" teams who have expressed interest in Lloyd, according to a source.

The NFL trading deadline is Tuesday. Once that deadline passes, a team cannot trade a player under contract until the 2012 league season opens in March.

Multiple factors have pushed Lloyd to the trading block, according to the sources. One, he is a free agent after this season and while the Broncos and Lloyd have briefly discussed a contract extension, nothing is close to materializing.

Two, the Broncos' receiving core is about to get crowded after this weekend's bye with the return of Demaryius Thomas​ and Eddie Royal. Lloyd, 30 and in his ninth NFL season, has been starting at receiver alongside Eric Decker, a third-round pick in the 2010 draft.

Additionally, the Broncos are expected to shift to a more ball control, run-oriented offense with Tim Tebow​ taking over at quarterback following the demotion of Kyle Orton​.

Lloyd is making $1.395 million this year, well below market value for a receiver who led the NFL last season with 1,448 yards. He had 11 touchdowns among his 77 catches.

The Broncos (1-4) next play Oct. 23 at Miami.

Thomas, who has been out all season with an Achilles and broken finger injury, was a first-round pick in the 2010 draft. Royal was a fourth-round pick in the 2008 draft. Royal, who has missed the past three games with a strained groin, is also eligible for free agency at season's end.

Lloyd was a free-agent pickup three seasons ago after playing previously with San Francisco, Washington and Chicago.

Neither the Broncos or Lloyd would comment on the trade talks.

Lloyd's receiving numbers are down this season — 19 catches for a team-high 283 yards and no touchdowns. He missed one game with a groin strain.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_19108351

• mike
  • Veteran
Per the Denver post. http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_19108351

Niners could be interested depending on the cost? We need receivers badly...
TAKE HIM BACK NOW
  • mike
  • Veteran
Oh s**t I just realized this is the wrong forum, I was too excited...
I hope we are one of the teams he isn't that dependable of a short range WR but he is one of the better deep threats
dont want
Originally posted by mike:
Oh s**t I just realized this is the wrong forum, I was too excited...

If they wanted a 2nd for Orton they probably want too high of a price for Lloy as well. They probably want a 2nd, maybe 3rd. Not sure I would be willing to give that up for him. He is 30 years old as well. We aren't a team that usually trades either... in the draft yes, during the season no.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Oct 13, 2011 at 6:13 PM ]
I'm surprised St Louis isn't talking about grabbing him.
Originally posted by monsterzero789:
dont want

Y not?

Only 1 mil and his contract ends this year

If Morgan was coming back or was here ya I wouldn't want him either but with Morgan out crabgrass foot and grayling knee I think giving a 4 th or even a 3rd wouldn't be a bad investment
  • mod
  • Veteran
I'll give a 3rd. It would be cool to have him back

Wouldnt mind Lloyd back either for the rest of the season. He would be a nice deep threat and can some great catches. Yes he short arms some passes every now and then, but when you throw the ball up, he can go up and make the catch.

Crabtree, Edwards and Lloyd with VD and Walker......tons of weapons for Alex to throw to and would be hard for the other teams D to cover up 1 WR
Do not want. Not at that price for a FA and a guy who has had 1 good year in a pass happy offense
  • mike
  • Veteran
Originally posted by modninerfan:
I'll give a 3rd. It would be cool to have him back

So would I, mainly because of the current situation we're in with all of our guys having some sort of ailments. Crabtree's foot could flare up any game, edwards won't be back till after the BYE, and I think morgan's pretty much done. Alex has played a pretty clean game but how long will that last if VD is his only real weapon?

But it probably won't happen because of our "plan", unless the plan has changed and baalke thinks we could make a serious run this year.(because that's probably as long as we'd have him, one year).
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
I would love to have him back, especially since hes grown as a WR, but I think we've got a good set of guys right now. If we didn't have Braylon Edwards, I'd be all for it.

Instead, I'm gonna hold out hope that Baalke and Harbaugh draft Dwight Jones next year.
lol losers. Dude led the league in receiving last year and you want to trade him the week you name Tebow your new starter? It's clear his production is down because of Orton has sucked. They must REALLY be tanking the season.
Share 49ersWebzone