LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 261 users in the forums

R.I.P. Al Davis

Shop 49ers game tickets
He was obviously not the easiest man to work with. But his bullheaded desire to do everything his way is part of what shaped the Raiders, the modern NFL, and the bay area sports landscape.

One thing that just about everyone agreed on about him is that he knew football like no other owner.

His style was a tough fit with the complexities of today's pro sports business. He was, more than any other owner, a combination of fan and GM. The sort of combination that many of us on this board obviously fantasize about being.

Most of us are too young to have seen anything but the misfit that didn't want to work within the confines of salary caps, league wide TV deals, and commissioner autocracy. But there was a time when guys like him were able to do great things, and built the NFL into the most popular sport in the country.

As a tip of my cap to one of the long time legends of the game, I will be rooting for the Raiders this sunday.

RIP Mr. Davis
  • Janitor
  • HOF Food Reviews
I'm not sad. RIP, as I always wish those who die, but we have not lost anything from his death.
  • Otter
  • Veteran
Jim Harbaugh will dedicate tomorrow's game to Mr. Davis. Book it.
RIP Al Davis
The sad truth is, a lot of raider fans finally have gotten what they've been wishing for.
Why is this in the Parking Lot and not in NFL talk? Al Davis was the owner of an NFL team and did a lot for the league, so one figures it would be there. That is the first place I looked. Doesn't matter though.

I didn't like the way he did things for a few years now, but he was a great mind and did a lot of good things for the NFL. RIP. I will pray for his soul and his family's well being.
RIP Al...Just Win Baby!
he was still pretty sharp

health issues probably took a lot out of him
Originally posted by HessianDud:
Wow. Not unexpected, I guess. He was one of the most influential guys in football. RIP Al.

I guess this means the Raiders are going to be good again.

Doubtful.

I hope an incompetent jackass takes over and keeps things moving the way they have been.

On a serious note, RIP Al Davis. He truly is an NFL Legend.
Originally posted by AmpLee:
Damn, the Raiders might actually start being a competently run franchise now.

That's the first thought that I had when I heard about it.

Originally posted by Janitor:
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Wow. What was the cause?

Really?

What?
Originally posted by Janitor:
Wow. What was the cause?

Really?

What?

Well, I know he received radiation treatment earlier this year

not sure for what
[ Edited by ads_2006 on Oct 8, 2011 at 9:54 AM ]
lol. I can't figure out why this thread is here in Parking lot, and the ones in the NFL section (where this should be) are getting locked. haha.
Originally posted by MaliCali:
lol. I can't figure out why this thread is here in Parking lot, and the ones in the NFL section (where this should be) are getting locked. haha.

lol i was like
Originally posted by MaliCali:

no kidding. how did he have nothing to do with nfl is beyond me to be placed in the pl.
Share 49ersWebzone