LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 267 users in the forums

R.I.P. Al Davis

Shop 49ers game tickets
I just thought about how old he was when they mentioned his name on chronicle live last night..

Rip al
Originally posted by MaliCali:
lol. I can't figure out why this thread is here in Parking lot, and the ones in the NFL section (where this should be) are getting locked. haha.

I asked the same thing. Makes no sense to me. Al Davis and the NFL are almost synonymous...
As much as I hate the Raiders and love Al Davis jokes, the guy did a lot for the game and the NFL. I think I will actually miss the old guy.

RIP
Originally posted by notsoempty86:
Jokes aside, it's definitely the DVD if an era. RIP

Predictive texting strikes again.
  • Lifer
  • Veteran
A giant of the game. Godspeed Al Davis.
F**K THE RAIDERS
A total original. He was a true legend who deserved that status.

RIP - Mr. Davis
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Originally posted by AJ_Larrea954:

Real classy. smh
Originally posted by Janitor:
I'm not sad. RIP, as I always wish those who die, but we have not lost anything from his death.

Wow. Real classy.
Originally posted by Hopper:
Real classy. smh

just yesterday nobody had a problem making fun of him and called him a terrible owner, now that hes dead everyone is like "awww poor Al Davis he was such a great owner he did such great things for the NFL in the 60s and 70s" yeah it sucks when anybody dies but get off his nuts

Originally posted by RDB4216:
I'm not sad. RIP, as I always wish those who die, but we have not lost anything from his death.

Wow. Real classy.

What's the problem? It wasn't a classless remark.
[ Edited by English on Oct 8, 2011 at 10:57 AM ]
I has a sad. How come it couldn't be john and denise yorks?
Originally posted by TheFunkyChicken:
He was obviously not the easiest man to work with. But his bullheaded desire to do everything his way is part of what shaped the Raiders, the modern NFL, and the bay area sports landscape.

One thing that just about everyone agreed on about him is that he knew football like no other owner.

His style was a tough fit with the complexities of today's pro sports business. He was, more than any other owner, a combination of fan and GM. The sort of combination that many of us on this board obviously fantasize about being.

Most of us are too young to have seen anything but the misfit that didn't want to work within the confines of salary caps, league wide TV deals, and commissioner autocracy. But there was a time when guys like him were able to do great things, and built the NFL into the most popular sport in the country.

As a tip of my cap to one of the long time legends of the game, I will be rooting for the Raiders this sunday.

RIP Mr. Davis

[ Edited by AJ_Larrea954 on Oct 8, 2011 at 11:04 AM ]

this
Share 49ersWebzone