LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 326 users in the forums

CB Chris Culliver, South Carolina

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by theginz2004:
Third-round CB Chris Culliver will be given a chance to compete for a starting job, according to CSN Bay Area.
Nate Clements is coming off a solid season, but he may have to restructure his contract with $7.25 million due in 2011. Culliver had just seven career starts at corner in college, so it's hard to like his chances of starting right out of the gate.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/6624/chris-culliver

My take:

The kid played safety most of his career, so he's very familiar with zone coverages. He's a size/speed guy and that will help him early on recovering from mistakes. I think we will play quite a bit of zone this season and use zone blitzes more often than not. That will play to his strengths, as he will be less responsible for holding a WR in check in man for long periods of time.

That said, I see him as out nickel corner this season. Fangio can use that incredible speed and size to blitz him from the slot. Could actually end up being a good pick. Hopefully he's more physical than reports have indicated. We'll just have to wait and see.... I need to do more research on him because I had no idea who he was when we picked him. Lulz.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by Wodwo:
Originally posted by theginz2004:
Third-round CB Chris Culliver will be given a chance to compete for a starting job, according to CSN Bay Area.
Nate Clements is coming off a solid season, but he may have to restructure his contract with $7.25 million due in 2011. Culliver had just seven career starts at corner in college, so it's hard to like his chances of starting right out of the gate.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/6624/chris-culliver

My take:

The kid played safety most of his career, so he's very familiar with zone coverages. He's a size/speed guy and that will help him early on recovering from mistakes. I think we will play quite a bit of zone this season and use zone blitzes more often than not. That will play to his strengths, as he will be less responsible for holding a WR in check in man for long periods of time.

That said, I see him as out nickel corner this season. Fangio can use that incredible speed and size to blitz him from the slot. Could actually end up being a good pick. Hopefully he's more physical than reports have indicated. We'll just have to wait and see.... I need to do more research on him because I had no idea who he was when we picked him. Lulz.

We still need another CB badly. Nate is old ans slow and Spencer is average at best.

Hey whats up Wodwo, long time no see.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by susweel:

We still need another CB badly. Nate is old ans slow and Spencer is average at best.

Yeah we do! I'm holding out hope for one of the top tier FAs when/if we have an offseason. Nate isn't that old or slow, but he isn't exactly fast, either. He should be playing press man, IMO, and isn't a good zone corner. Spencer can cover just fine, he just has no ball skills. His awareness is poor and he will have perfect coverage but can't locate the ball to make a play. They are both getting older and any FA we sign isn't likely to be a very young guy. That's the major downside to a FA. Hopefully this Culliver kid pans out.

Yo, I been reading, but not posting. Nothing really to talk about with the damn labor issues. I'd just be b***hing about all the time, hehe.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by Wodwo:

Yeah we do! I'm holding out hope for one of the top tier FAs when/if we have an offseason. Nate isn't that old or slow, but he isn't exactly fast, either. He should be playing press man, IMO, and isn't a good zone corner. Spencer can cover just fine, he just has no ball skills. His awareness is poor and he will have perfect coverage but can't locate the ball to make a play. They are both getting older and any FA we sign isn't likely to be a very young guy. That's the major downside to a FA. Hopefully this Culliver kid pans out.

Yo, I been reading, but not posting. Nothing really to talk about with the damn labor issues. I'd just be b***hing about all the time, hehe.[/quote]

join the club

[ Edited by susweel on May 3, 2011 at 12:14:53 ]
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran

join the club

I think you've got it covered for the both of us, man.

Honestly, I've been too apathetic. Whatever will be, will be. Everything else has been discussed ad nauseam.

Good to have something to talk about, though.
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
Originally posted by BuZzB28:
Originally posted by 49erWill:

hes a big head that looks like a Pitbull Or Bull's head...

Takeo Spikes neck!

Yep correct.. I hope his head can hit other WRs should scare for us s**t.. I mean his head like a bull is must angry and hit it them bi t ch....
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
my least favorite pick in the draft however he can blossom
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
This is the guy to deal with those little speedy receivers, you know, the guys who get 10 yards separation from our slow-ass clunking cornerbacks and the only thing that we can hope for is that the QB makes a bad throw or that the receiver slips/drops the pass.

Feel much better having a guy like this who is both fast and physical. He's not a household name but once again, I trust that this guy will get good coaching and will be able to be developed into something nice.

totally agree
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
my least favorite pick in the draft however he can blossom

Worst case scenario, at least he seems to have good skills as a return man on special teams.
[ Edited by PTulini on May 13, 2011 at 10:39 AM ]
hopefully he claims the #4 spot taken currently by Niner Fail Legend Will James

MBachCSN: #49ers third round draft pick Chris Culliver says coaches told him he will play corner, not safety
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by PTulini:
MBachCSN: #49ers third round draft pick Chris Culliver says coaches told him he will play corner, not safety

He's probably gonna start.

Are you thinking opposite of Spencer (assuming we don't land any FA CBs)??
Originally posted by mcbaes72:

He's not gonna start. They'll sign someone.
Originally posted by sachie23:
Originally posted by mcbaes72:

He's not gonna start. They'll sign someone.

He'll start opposite of whomever we sign, youth movement!!!
Share 49ersWebzone