LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 205 users in the forums

Jim Harbaugh Thread - HC Chargers

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
I just can't see Harbaugh working out unless he wins the Super Bowl this year or at least get back to the NFCCG. If you still believe that will happen given our current struggles, then there might still be a glimmer of hope.

Then, there is still the question of the tension vs Baalke, will Harbaugh still want to work with him ? If we win the Super Bowl or when things are going rosy, may be, just may be Harbaugh will turn a blind eye provided he gets a huge contract. But, once again, it still goes back to winning the Super Bowl.

If we don't win the Super Bowl, my guess is Harbaugh will not get what he wants and he will leave. This time around, I can see him asking for personnel power too just like Pete Carroll and Chip Kelly, some could argue this is the new NFL model and it seems to be working pretty well so far with the Seahawks and Eagles.

Let's see what happens then.
Originally posted by dj43:
The discussion now turns to remind me of a statement Bill Walsh made during his run as HC. He advised that both coaches and players must always treat the media with courtesy and respect. The media is an extension of the fans. They have a job to do and that job is to inform the fans about their favorite team. When the team is going well, the media will always be on your side and thus you can get away with what would otherwise be shoddy behavior. The key point is, you must treat media well when you are going well because if you don't, when things go bad the media will cut you no slack. In turn, the fans are being cheated because they are not getting the information they want about their team. (that is as close as I recall Walsh's statement) IMO, Walsh always did that. He gave thoughtful answers even in the face of some crushing defeats.

That is a lesson that Harbaugh has not learned, or even come close, and it appears that Kaepernick has mirrored his boss. Neither of them give media much at all to work with in post game interviews, or even non-game stuff.

Yesterday I was listening to a Bay Area radio station and one of the local writers was relating standing beside Joe Staley's locker as Kaepernick was doing his post game interview all dressed in shades and BEATS, looking cool but giving nothing that media could really use. According to this writer, as the two of them stood watching the interview, Staley turned to the writer and said, "If I didn't know Colin as well as I do, I would think he is a real A--hole."

The point being, Harbaugh sets the tone for everything that happens around the team and when he acts like the media is just an ugly stepchild, it is no surprise when Kaepernick, his prize protege, acts the same way. And that is sad.

I live very near where Kaepernick grew up. I know and have met quite a few people who knew Colin growing up. They all speak highly of him, not just as an athlete but as a person as well. They say he was courteous and engaging. Always friendly. Consequently, they are surprised and disappointed with the public face he puts on now much of the time with the 49ers.

I know this is "Pick on Harbaugh Week" or has been for a couple of weeks now so I will just add this bit to keep the pot well stirred.

Well it is true if you look at the Rams and Bears post game interviews those first two games he played, he comes off totally different.....very light hearted and fun.

I remember when he was asked post Bears game if he would like to be the starting QB he said "Whatever coach wants, but [starts laughing] I hope so!"

His clothes for the first post game was a button down shirt if I recall correctly.
  • CMIO
Rumors on ESPN that Harbaugh would be a good fit at his alma mater Michigan as coach.

Obviously just conjecture at this point, but given everything that's happened on and off the field this season, I can't imagine Jed bringing back Harbaugh and Co. If we don't win it all. I truly believe it's a SB or bust season.

The question is who would be a good fit for us...it's obvious we have all the right pieces for another 1-2 yrs, but I hope admin wouldn't opt for a college coach trying to implement a completely different offense.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by CMIO:
Rumors on ESPN that Harbaugh would be a good fit at his alma mater Michigan as coach.

Obviously just conjecture at this point, but given everything that's happened on and off the field this season, I can't imagine Jed bringing back Harbaugh and Co. If we don't win it all. I truly believe it's a SB or bust season.

The question is who would be a good fit for us...it's obvious we have all the right pieces for another 1-2 yrs, but I hope admin wouldn't opt for a college coach trying to implement a completely different offense.
old news,, however if JH goes for whatever reason,, i would not promote from within. if he goes he ends up in oakland cuz he likes living in the area and likes a challenge and would like to stick to us,,, but again its premature
Originally posted by cciowa:
old news,, however if JH goes for whatever reason,, i would not promote from within. if he goes he ends up in oakland cuz he likes living in the area and likes a challenge and would like to stick to us,,, but again its premature

I personally think all harbaugh leaving talk is just that, talk. However, if he does leave, we are in a much better position than in previous years in regards to our HC vacancy. I'm sure we would have quite a few suitors interested in taking over a really, really good roster.

Again, maybe I'm naive, but I think harbaugh will get an extension done and I do not it's contingent on winning a title this year. I just don't trust the sources stirring up these stories, because it's the same guys with agendas to drive.
[ Edited by Niners816 on Sep 24, 2014 at 8:32 AM ]
816, I am assuming we rebound and finish 9-7 or close. But if we don't make playoffs , say 6-10, no I don't think baalke will want Jim and his antiquated offense/OC around anymore. If we make the playoffs, I still think it is a tossup. Only way I feel certain he stays is if he wins SB. Other than that, less likely if we make playoffs and die, or if we miss playoffs, I don't think he even gets an offer sheet from Trent. Just an opinion.

Like last yr, at 1-2, we once again find ourselves in the same spot. Difference is last yr we had the great D, and this yr our DBs are about 5-6 games away from knowing what each other is/are doing. It will be a tough row to hoe until midseason, and the D just isn't up to it. As for the O, I truly believe HaRo is confused about what exactly they are doing. I do believe we have seen that our game planning and OCing have been very sub par, with HaRo finding one thing that works (no huddle speed up O) and then just stopping it. Also STevie is all world , gets the hot hand and then gets benched...in favor of Lloyd, who has no business out there. To top it off, our leading rusher is our QB, who mercifully has not been injured yet, but RG3 here we come if this keeps up. Our best plays are broken plays where kap has to scramble and complete a pass or run for 9 yds. That is one helluva O game plan, and not one I would be proud of if I were HC. So I think this is SB or bust for JH,( and he can take romn with him), and that is a SB win..not just an appearance. Looks kinda far away from here at present. And I don't think our elite teams coming up are going to make it any better. Also a HC who allows multi personal foul games , and then gets more the next game and more the next...may not have the greatest handle on his team as one would expect.

I sincerely doubt any of this has escaped Mr. Baalke...and the owner. Sure a lot better than Ericson, sing, noln, but nowhere near what is needed...especially with the talent that has been assembled. And frankly I bet baalke is pizzed at what he is seeing from the talent he handed JH. So I don't think jimbo coming back here next yr is a lock at all. Matter of fact, far from it.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Sep 24, 2014 at 9:05 AM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Niners816:

I personally think all harbaugh leaving talk is just that, talk. However, if he does leave, we are in a much better position than in previous years in regards to our HC vacancy. I'm sure we would have quite a few suitors interested in taking over a really, really good roster.

Again, maybe I'm naive, but I think harbaugh will get an extension done and I do not it's contingent on winning a title this year. I just don't trust the sources stirring up these stories, because it's the same guys with agendas to drive.
i think you are right with jh getting an extension. but i think the key factor is the roman factor and what happens the rest of the year in that regards with roman and our offense. if things continue and if JH really wants to be here, then he will have to fire roman. if he could care less about not being here and does not care if he gets fired or not, then he will buck any pressure from the front office to fire roman,,,, if things do not change with our offense and it comes to that.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
on the other hand doc, as usual, makes great points and i can see that playing out... i also trust this front office, unlike the one who was here when mooch was here...... if they opt to dump JH i think they will have a plan to bring in someone who is just as good or better than JH. i did not mind the firing of mooch,, but the problem was the team had no plan to bring in someone better.. oh and doc is right,, f**king miss lloyd is a waste of a roster space with stevie coming on strong
I think for jim to not be here next year he will have to express to Trent and jed he wants to leave. After all he is still under contract for 2015.

I think he could survive a 6-10 type season based on the strength of his previous 3 seasons and the fact that this start so far is really due to a rash of injuries/suspensions to core players. Despite poor play/coaching, injuries and some really questionable penalties, this team still could be 3-0 just as easy as it sits at 1-2. The goodell b******t in regards to aldon is really what's messing thing up IMO. There is no way aldons suspension should have been 9 games, 2-4 seems more just. Lack of pass rush us the single biggest problem facing the team so far. It really is leaving our corners (who I think with good pass rush is better than I prior secondaries) out to dry.

The hope is to be around 5-4 ish by the time bowman and aldon get back. Maybe we are destined to be the team that gets scalding hot down the stretch and runs the table. I still think the story of the 2014 niners is out there to be written.
[ Edited by Niners816 on Sep 24, 2014 at 9:36 AM ]
What happens if Harbaugh leaves this off season? He's under contract and would we get compensation??

Just heard on Colin Cowherd that "many NFL teams will be vying for Harbaugh, he will not be going back the Mich"...

Who the hell we gonna replace him with???

on the other hand doc, as usual, makes great points and i can see that playing out... i also trust this front office, unlike the one who was here when mooch was here...... if they opt to dump JH i think they will have a plan to bring in someone who is just as good or better than JH. i did not mind the firing of mooch,, but the problem was the team had no plan to bring in someone better.. oh and doc is right,, f**king miss lloyd is a waste of a roster space with stevie coming on strong

I agree with your comparison to the mooch situation. There is no way at that time 2002-03 ( 3years removed from the 16 straight 10 win season and 5 titles) we should have had to settle in a .500 pro coach in erickson. I also think we botched the singletary hire, had we waited just a week- holmgren, shanahan and gruden were all available.

Based on the harbaugh hire and Trent's roster he has put together, I trust this brain trust to do what is best. As I said earlier, if we had a vacancy I'm confident we are getting a very good replacement.
Originally posted by CWin4949:
What happens if Harbaugh leaves this off season? He's under contract and would we get compensation??

Just heard on Colin Cowherd that "many NFL teams will be vying for Harbaugh, he will not be going back the Mich"...

Who the hell we gonna replace him with???

Yes we would if it's another NFL team. However, colin has been saying this stuff just as long as kawkami. I got a feeling kawkami is Colin's insider.

Gruden was under contract with raiders when he was "traded" to TB for multiple first round picks.
[ Edited by Niners816 on Sep 24, 2014 at 9:52 AM ]
Can't wait to see the faces on all the media when Harbaugh signs an extension this offseason

Harharhar
Insider Buzz: Jim Harbaugh Has 'Very Little' Interest Coaching at College Level | Bleacher Report (via http://ble.ac/teamstream-) http://teamstre.am/1mTgnNJ
Share 49ersWebzone