LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 414 users in the forums

Jim Harbaugh Thread - HC Chargers

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by dj43:
I'm not about ready to put Kaepernick in the same bag as those guys. However, I believe Harbaugh, or someone, needs to sit Kaepernick down and talk to him about the image he is portraying to the public and the rest of the team. If you are going to be a team leader, especially the QB, you need to be football first and foremost, well ahead of your endorsements and wardrobe.

Don't let Kap's attire fool you. All we've heard about Kap is how hard he works and how much time he has spent in the facility. He has no family no wife no kid nothing to distract him from football so I think we are overstating things based on the way Kap looks. It is the same crap David Whitley got castrated for or whoever that jerk was that wrote that heinous column on Kap. We need to be careful because I don't see where Kap has been acting like Johnny Manziel away from the game. All I hear from Kap is 1st one in 1st one out and if you know Kappa Alpha Psi then you know nupes dress to impress regularly. Just like Penny Hardaway. It is just one of their things along with being lady killers but this has nothing to do with his focus on the game. There is no way Kap supplants Alex as starter in his second year pro if Kap wasn't doing his due diligence in the playbook and on the sidelines in the background. There is no way because Alex was playing too well. I think some of you don't realize how hard it is to be a starting NFL QB and have the success Kap has. It takes a great deal of hard work. The type of work folk here don't want to give Kap the credit for putting in
We have to realize though that Kap is coming from a 4 year college experience that ran no pro sets, only read option. So, that's a lot of practice reading fields he didn't have in college. Frankly it shows, it's always shown. Just we've been doing different things to disguise it like restricting the playbook, using gimmick formations and so on. This year, we are doing less of that. It's going to be sink or swim.

Except for 2nd half Chicago where he lost his head, and a couple plays yesterday, I think he is making progress. He had a touch pass or two -- some good decisions under pressure. Keep it going. I think the game plan could get a lot better, be more balanced and less extreme, less lopsided, like we are prone to do.

For example, if player X is best at short yardage, then we only call short yardage plays for him. If player Y throws the ball best on 20 yard down and outs, then every pass play is a 20 yard down and out. etc. that kind of thinking. or we call plays to set up the 20 yard out, which is the same thing really. The "optimized" "specialized" mentality. Why would you waste a snap asking a player to do something that they weren't the very best at?

At the end of the day, that leads to a game plan that turns out to be hard to execute and fools no one. And Kap is getting hit with that.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Lets be honest here... Harbaugh knows, or should I say, has learned that he's already got the maximum talent that he's gonna get from Alex Smith... a situation came to replace him after the concussion, Kap played well, and Jim just decided to it's time to go with Kap..

Kap surprised everyone by playing so well against the Bears, got explossive against the Saints, so he knew then that it is time to go with the young guy now rathern than to have a QB controversy where the media will dictate who should start.

I swear, the last time I saw this kinda controversy was back in 1983 to 1985 with the Cowboys' Danny White and Gary Hoogebaum.. White was a better than average QB who managed games, and was never forgiven for fumbling on the last drive of that 1981 NFCG against the 49ers when they were 15 yards away from kicking a FG..

Hoogebaum was the young pretty athletic guy with a canon for an arm, and big passing play ability who everyone wanted to see... but the guy just couldn't win.. he played well in his first years, and would always have a big game against the NFC east, until the starting position was given to h im... in the end, both ended up watching the 49ers Dynasty...
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
F**k Michigan, hope Stephen Ross is desperate and gives us a kings ransom for harbaugh. I'll take 2 1sts, they have no one on that team I would want. Wouldn't mind cam wake but he makes too much for our space

Yes There is,Cameron Wake and a 1st or 2nd rd pick
Originally posted by jrouter4949:
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
F**k Michigan, hope Stephen Ross is desperate and gives us a kings ransom for harbaugh. I'll take 2 1sts, they have no one on that team I would want. Wouldn't mind cam wake but he makes too much for our space

Yes There is,Cameron Wake and a 1st or 2nd rd pick

yeah no kidding. i had the honor of watching his 2 seasons in the cfl before he went to miami. guy is an absolute beast. a notch below aldon rushing the passer.
LMFAO at the picture
Harbaugh cant coach Kap's 4th quarter wilting. Its something you either have or you dont. It is time after time. When the 4th comes you either play big or you dont and Kap folds, folds, folds. When things get tight and the heat comes down, he just hasnt had it.
Originally posted by 9moon:
I agree w/ DJ... and all that were mentioned, makes me really believe that only a Super Bowl win would keep Harbaugh in the Bay Area..

I know that he's done a great job w/the talented team that he inherited and I'm not gonna deny that, but it's getting clearer and clearer in my opinion that if he, can not see what us fans can see w/ his coaching staff (Roman specially) then it is true that he could be losing the trust of his own players, the belief of the team, and his ways must be stopped now..

I look at the teams around the NFC west, and each one had done something to catch up to us (if not past us) but we continue to stay the same.. Had Bradford did not get injured, the Rams woulda been a good team... if a 2nd stringer QB (Stanton) toyed w/our D the way he did yesterday, what more if he was an elite QB??

Seattle's offensive talent is no where 50% as good as ours, but yet, they continue to produce and strike fear to other teams opponents..

And personally, I don't like the fact that our QB, who is suppose to be the team leader, walks around w/that overpriced BEAT headset, does lots of photo shoot, party like it's 1999, wears another team's hat.. all these, is a sign of a young talented QB that is heading for a downfall..

See the list:

1) Tim Rosenbach
2) Kerry Collins
3) Cade McNown
3) Matt Leinhart
4) Mark Sanchez

Can't count...argument is invalrod
  • dj43
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
I'm not about ready to put Kaepernick in the same bag as those guys. However, I believe Harbaugh, or someone, needs to sit Kaepernick down and talk to him about the image he is portraying to the public and the rest of the team. If you are going to be a team leader, especially the QB, you need to be football first and foremost, well ahead of your endorsements and wardrobe.

Don't let Kap's attire fool you. All we've heard about Kap is how hard he works and how much time he has spent in the facility. He has no family no wife no kid nothing to distract him from football so I think we are overstating things based on the way Kap looks. It is the same crap David Whitley got castrated for or whoever that jerk was that wrote that heinous column on Kap. We need to be careful because I don't see where Kap has been acting like Johnny Manziel away from the game. All I hear from Kap is 1st one in 1st one out and if you know Kappa Alpha Psi then you know nupes dress to impress regularly. Just like Penny Hardaway. It is just one of their things along with being lady killers but this has nothing to do with his focus on the game. There is no way Kap supplants Alex as starter in his second year pro if Kap wasn't doing his due diligence in the playbook and on the sidelines in the background. There is no way because Alex was playing too well. I think some of you don't realize how hard it is to be a starting NFL QB and have the success Kap has. It takes a great deal of hard work. The type of work folk here don't want to give Kap the credit for putting in

The discussion now turns to remind me of a statement Bill Walsh made during his run as HC. He advised that both coaches and players must always treat the media with courtesy and respect. The media is an extension of the fans. They have a job to do and that job is to inform the fans about their favorite team. When the team is going well, the media will always be on your side and thus you can get away with what would otherwise be shoddy behavior. The key point is, you must treat media well when you are going well because if you don't, when things go bad the media will cut you no slack. In turn, the fans are being cheated because they are not getting the information they want about their team. (that is as close as I recall Walsh's statement) IMO, Walsh always did that. He gave thoughtful answers even in the face of some crushing defeats.

That is a lesson that Harbaugh has not learned, or even come close, and it appears that Kaepernick has mirrored his boss. Neither of them give media much at all to work with in post game interviews, or even non-game stuff.

Yesterday I was listening to a Bay Area radio station and one of the local writers was relating standing beside Joe Staley's locker as Kaepernick was doing his post game interview all dressed in shades and BEATS, looking cool but giving nothing that media could really use. According to this writer, as the two of them stood watching the interview, Staley turned to the writer and said, "If I didn't know Colin as well as I do, I would think he is a real A--hole."

The point being, Harbaugh sets the tone for everything that happens around the team and when he acts like the media is just an ugly stepchild, it is no surprise when Kaepernick, his prize protege, acts the same way. And that is sad.

I live very near where Kaepernick grew up. I know and have met quite a few people who knew Colin growing up. They all speak highly of him, not just as an athlete but as a person as well. They say he was courteous and engaging. Always friendly. Consequently, they are surprised and disappointed with the public face he puts on now much of the time with the 49ers.

I know this is "Pick on Harbaugh Week" or has been for a couple of weeks now so I will just add this bit to keep the pot well stirred.

The discussion now turns to remind me of a statement Bill Walsh made during his run as HC. He advised that both coaches and players must always treat the media with courtesy and respect. The media is an extension of the fans. They have a job to do and that job is to inform the fans about their favorite team. When the team is going well, the media will always be on your side and thus you can get away with what would otherwise be shoddy behavior. The key point is, you must treat media well when you are going well because if you don't, when things go bad the media will cut you no slack. In turn, the fans are being cheated because they are not getting the information they want about their team. (that is as close as I recall Walsh's statement) IMO, Walsh always did that. He gave thoughtful answers even in the face of some crushing defeats.

That is a lesson that Harbaugh has not learned, or even come close, and it appears that Kaepernick has mirrored his boss. Neither of them give media much at all to work with in post game interviews, or even non-game stuff.

Yesterday I was listening to a Bay Area radio station and one of the local writers was relating standing beside Joe Staley's locker as Kaepernick was doing his post game interview all dressed in shades and BEATS, looking cool but giving nothing that media could really use. According to this writer, as the two of them stood watching the interview, Staley turned to the writer and said, "If I didn't know Colin as well as I do, I would think he is a real A--hole."

The point being, Harbaugh sets the tone for everything that happens around the team and when he acts like the media is just an ugly stepchild, it is no surprise when Kaepernick, his prize protege, acts the same way. And that is sad.

I live very near where Kaepernick grew up. I know and have met quite a few people who knew Colin growing up. They all speak highly of him, not just as an athlete but as a person as well. They say he was courteous and engaging. Always friendly. Consequently, they are surprised and disappointed with the public face he puts on now much of the time with the 49ers.

I know this is "Pick on Harbaugh Week" or has been for a couple of weeks now so I will just add this bit to keep the pot well stirred.

Well I guess I love it because I am like that all the time. On this board I am courteous so I can post but real life I'm nice up front but if you try to jerk me around I am a vicious savage on principle. If I am playing ball the media knows IDGAF about them at all
  • dj43
Originally posted by Pillbusta:

Well I guess I love it because I am like that all the time. On this board I am courteous so I can post but real life I'm nice up front but if you try to jerk me around I am a vicious savage on principle. If I am playing ball the media knows IDGAF about them at all
Good one.
[ Edited by dj43 on Sep 23, 2014 at 10:52 AM ]

Well the cracks are definitely starting to show in the façade. But I agree with your point. Listen, we all agree that Harbaugh is an amazing coach. But his history has revealed that he wears out his welcome quickly...regardless of where go coaches.

Team stability starts from the top and works it's way all the way down to the players. I think our foundation is damned shaky right about now. Most everybody senses it. Players are chippy, upset, emotional, unfocused and much of it has to do with our lack of leadership.

Certain Niner fans are APPAULED at the thought of Jim Harbaugh either getting fired or leaving on his own. But get used to that thought process....
Originally posted by pete98146:
Well the cracks are definitely starting to show in the façade. But I agree with your point. Listen, we all agree that Harbaugh is an amazing coach. But his history has revealed that he wears out his welcome quickly...regardless of where go coaches.

Team stability starts from the top and works it's way all the way down to the players. I think our foundation is damned shaky right about now. Most everybody senses it. Players are chippy, upset, emotional, unfocused and much of it has to do with our lack of leadership.

Certain Niner fans are APPAULED at the thought of Jim Harbaugh either getting fired or leaving on his own. But get used to that thought process....

I'm Niners whether Jim goes or stays. Makes me no difference though I hope he wins here and we keep him.
The way Harbaugh treats the media is near the bottom on the list of things this team needs to fix. The majority of the local media is a piece of s**t just looking for a story. You don't have to look at anything other than the Ray Mac situation to see how worthless the local media is.
Share 49ersWebzone